The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 26, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
canewbie

new guy needs advice

I purchase a Uberti Walker from DGW. Haven't fired it yet but while handling it I noticed that the hammer does not sit symmeterically in the nipple cylinder slot. I tried measuring the difference with a feeler gauge. Gap on the left
is .053 + - and on the right .025 + -. Being new to all this and not knowing if this indicates a problem I called DWG. Customer service said what is import is registration of the chamber to the barrel. Well sure. I removed the nipple and tried to shine a light and looked from both ends. I couldn't tell. DWG said the guns are tested at the factory and that the barrel diameter is larger than the chamber so a little mis-registration is ok. Not so in this one, in fact I would say the chambers are slightly bigger than the barrel.

So can anybody offer any advice?

Thx

Thanks for taking the time to respond and the welcome to the corral.

To clear up some possible confusion the hammer is not misaligned to the gun frame. The hammer frame slot is tight and there is no play in the hammer side to side. Except for this problem I wrote about, I am pleased with the fit and finish of the Uberti. In fact, to this untrained eye, it looks better than expected and I guess that is why this hammer cylinder slot problem stood out so glaringly.

Last edited by canewbie; December 27, 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: thanks for the advice
Old December 26, 2009, 06:03 PM   #2
dondavis3

Yes send it back to them to get it properly fixed.

Just my .02

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
mykeal

Hmm. I don't see why an uneven gap between the hammer and the frame on the two sides matters, unless there is interference between the hammer and the side of the frame on one side. Certainly NOT worth 'fixing', in my opinion.

Ideally you want the chamber diameters to be equal to or just slightly larger (0.001 to 0.002 inches) than the groove to groove diameter in the barrel; this makes the swaged ball have the most grip with the rifling to ensure spin is imparted to the ball.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
simonkenton

I have a Pietta 1860 Colt Army and the hammer does not set symmetrically in the slot. It shoots fine, never had a problem with it.
I don't believe there is a problem with this gun, take it out and see how it shoots.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

The hammer non symmetrical fit in the cylinder slot is not uncommon. I have about .020 difference in my 2nd Gen walker. As long as the hammer clears the cylinder slot and the chamber aligns with the barrel your OK. You can shim the hammer if you have room in the frame slot and you want to go to the trouble. I have shimmed a few of mine for purely cosmetic reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canewbie
DWG said the guns are tested at the factory and that the barrel diameter is larger than the chamber so a little mis-registration is ok. Not so in this one, in fact I would say the chambers are slightly bigger than the barrel.
If you shine a light through the nipple hole and look down the barrel you should not see any of the chamber opening or just the edge in a complete 360* circle. If you see a crescent shape of the chamber, that is a misalignment that can cause the revolver to spit lead out the side and adversely effect the accuracy. Most cap and ball revolver have little if any forcing cone.

Ideally you want the chambers at or a few thou larger than the bore size, but most Italian replicas have just the opposite. A common modification to improve accuracy is to ream the chambers to bore size.

Welcome to the forum and to black powder revolvers.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

WELCOME

And happy holidays.

Just as an aside....If you might decide to send it back you may want to postpone shooting it.

The DGW folks (who in my opinion are somewhat stand-off-ish when it comes to customer service) might be more inclined to take it back if it is unfired.

Reading your post, I examined all of my pistols and I noted two things:

1) - Some of the hammers are not squarely centered in the frame.
2) - Some of the hammers have slight side to side movement.

I have shot every pistol I own accept for two Colts (2nd and 3rd Gen). Have only had one problem and that was a chain fire event on a .36 1851 Colt Sheriff's Model. And I don't think that had to do with alignment.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:04 PM   #7
long rider

I am with simon on this, go out and shoot it,
if it shoots good with no hic ups, leve well alone.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
canewbie

Thanks all who replied. I quit looking for replies after several days and didn't see the latest ones so I didn't follow the general consensus to shoot it.

Sometime in February I decided to send it back to DGW in an unfired condition. There was some hesitation on their end and their gunsmith got on the line. After explaining my position they took it back and I was satisfied with their response. The reason for sending it back may make all you old hands at this laugh. I figured there was absolutely nothing wrong with the money I sent them; the gun they sent me should be in like condition.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:54 PM   #9
simonkenton

You are an ignorant newbie who ignored some good advice.

Four of the responders told you there was no problem.
Why do you come onto a forum like this, as a newbie, and then ignore the advice you are given?

Dixie is glad that they don't have to deal with too many anal customers like you.
Old July 2, 2010, 09:42 PM   #10
mykeal

There's no cause for name calling.
Old July 3, 2010, 01:59 AM   #11
canewbie

I seeked counsel from those experienced in BB guns. There were a few responses immediately, then there was a gap and I never saw the ones that responded later. Today I re-read the thread and decided to thank all those that responded and to tell them that I thought DGW treated me well. I do, however, reserve the right to make my own decisions.
Old July 3, 2010, 12:47 PM   #12
simonkenton

Thank you for correcting me, mykeal.

As usual, you are right and I am wrong.

Tell you what, from now on I will send all my posts to you for clearance, and editing, before I post. I am so fortunate to have someone so knowledgable on the forum.
Old July 3, 2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
Thank you for correcting me, mykeal.

As usual, you are right and I am wrong.

Tell you what, from now on I will send all my posts to you for clearance, and editing, before I post. I am so fortunate to have someone so knowledgable on the forum.
After reading your last post that's probably a good idea.
Old July 3, 2010, 08:33 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

I, for one, agree with you Hawg - wholeheartedly. This board is supposed to be a friendly one . . . . and it usually is. As they say . . . "if ya can't say something nice then don't say nothin' 'tall". I always thought that anyone was welcome on here . . . newbies, oldtimers, dabblers in the hobby, etc. If someone is new to the hobby . . . then welcome them into the "fold" and give your advice if they're asking for it. If they follow it . . . that's fine . . . if they don't . . . that's fine. In the end, we all have to make our own decisions. There isn't any reason to call names or make someone feel unwelcome here. Just my 2 cents worth.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 4, 2010, 02:28 PM   #15
CajunPowder

When I joined The Firing Line, I came onboard as an anal retentive, perfectionist, ignorant, angry, super-critical ... newbie.

Well, some of that has changed as a result of the knowledge and kind assistance from membership on this board.

... I'm not a newbie anymore.
Old July 4, 2010, 02:57 PM   #16
okiefarmer

At what point in postings do noobies/newbies become "old farts"? Or what, technically, should those more crusty posters be referred as?
Old July 4, 2010, 03:39 PM   #17
Hawg

Methinks you're pushing the old farts boundry there okie.
Old July 4, 2010, 04:05 PM   #18
azyogi

I think it's when you no longer know or care what your post count is without looking it up.
Old July 4, 2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Doc Hoy

Well....

I started out as an old fart and am now a newbie. In point of fact, I think I will always be a newbie.
Old July 4, 2010, 06:25 PM   #20
okiefarmer

If post count makes the man, then I'll never be one, I'm not around the puter enough to accumulate what some have. Heck, I'm not even around the wife very much anymore. Since the move over here north of Tulsa for her employ x-fer, and the fact I couldn't suitcase 2000 acres and bring it along, I spend all week out there in a van down by the river (almost, it's a 36' 5th wheel that is getting real tight after 7 years behind Dad's machine shed) and I don't have access to internet.

I hope that changes someday, working on a little 800sf batchelor's pad in an 8000sf shed I just built to make things a bit more comfy for this old fart. Trying to do alot of it myself, but finding at near 55, bending/stooping/reaching (heck, going to the bathroom) ain't as easy as it was at 35 when I last built our house on the farm.

On a better not, I now have a fulltime employee. My oldest son lost his job in the investment/finance field in Dallas and said he's tired of looking for a while, behind in bills, and misses the family (I liked that last excuse the best) so I will hopefully get more stuff done now, but also have to look for more custom work to help pay his salary too. I am optimistic about it.

Also heading to Kali Thursday to visit other son before he goes on his all expenses paid government vacation early in '11 to beautiful sandy Afghanistan. At least there are no tarballs there I hear.

Okie out
Old July 4, 2010, 06:32 PM   #21
mykeal

If I recall correctly, back in the day we called them furballs...

If that term brings back some unwanted memories, I apologize.
Old July 4, 2010, 07:15 PM   #22
okiefarmer

Was this related to the navajo indian blanket comments.

OK, straying too far off topic.

I quit
Old July 4, 2010, 07:42 PM   #23
Darren007

Last edited by Darren007; July 4, 2010 at 07:48 PM.