The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 21, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
SigP6Carry

Buying ammo online in Illinois

Quick question:
I live in Illinois and am interested in purchasing a Mak pistol (the PA-63 by FEG, specifically). The catch is: the only range near me (about a twenty minute drive) only allows brass cased ammo at the indoor range and the only ammo sold in stores around me is Brown Bear (steel cased). So, I'd have to order the ammo online in order to fire inside (otherwise, I'll have to fire outdoors in the dead of a midwest winter!).
I've been looking into it, and I can't figure out if I can ship the ammo directly to my place, or if I have to ship it to an FFL. Some sites allow me to ship to my place, some require store pickups, others require an FFL transfer. It's weird. If anyone knows about Il law regarding this, could you enlighten me?

Thanks, Il is pretty weird when it comes to firearms law.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:26 PM   #2
SgtLas

foid.

most places require that you have an foid on file with them before you ship. some have the preference not to ship to cook county, other then that it is 100% legal to have ammo shipped to you in illinois.
but on a different subject...midwest usa wont ship a ar15 takedown retention spring to my office in chicago.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
NavyLT

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ation+Card+Act.

Quote:
(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑3)
Sec. 3.

(b‑5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person outside of Illinois. Any resident purchasing ammunition outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.
It's right there in the Illinois statutes.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
SigP6Carry

see, I wasn't sure what to believe given the different attitude that stores take regarding shipping ammo to IL. Looks like this time next month, I'll be popping off some 9x18mm in a brand new PA63