The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
kristop64089

Daewoo K1a1, should I get it?

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as32-e.htm

I have to get rid of my beloved FAL(not enough scratch to buy it), but i'm looking for a good CQB rifle. I have had every AR and AK platform, and short of an A2, they have all left me wanting.

I think the big attraction(for me at least) is he simple rarity. Parts are now being produced in the US for them. So that is a plus. Another big plus, is, it's not a parts gun(which I am not a fan of). I like all original guns, and these are certainly that.

It has it's down sides, like lack of optics mounting(which for CQB, isn't necessary) And the twist rate is 1:12.

Money wise, I am not getting hurt, nor is he. I have bolt guns to replace the heavy hit of the .308, but lack a high capacity SHTF rifle.

What to do, What to do?
Old December 19, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
SR420

I wish I had kept my Daewoo K1a1
Old December 19, 2009, 12:29 PM   #3
garryc

I see no advantage to a K1A1 over a plain jane AR-15. It uses direct impingment just like the AR. It will it not shoot heavy ball well .

That being said, now you have to figure parts. There isn't much for the K1A1 but there are parts under every rock for AR's.
Old December 19, 2009, 05:54 PM   #4
qwman68

i agree with a 1:12 twist you are limited on ammo, but the daewoo is a cool rifle.. me personally if i had a chance to get one i would..
Old December 19, 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
kristop64089

Well, I picked it up. It's an incredible rifle, and very LIGHT. AS soon as I have time, I will get pix up. This K1a1 is everything an AR SHOULD be.
Old December 19, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
shepherddogs

I had one of the folders years ago. As best I remember it was real accurate and never jammed. After I traded it I wished I had it back. But, are parts available? It would stink for something to break and you can't get the parts.
Old December 19, 2009, 06:31 PM   #7
kristop64089

US made, and some Korean made parts are readily available, through Daewoorifleparts.com.
There is finally enough of a following, that they started producing them.

Albeit, many more parts are for the K2, and DR200, but K1a1 parts are there too.

Parts were a strong determining factor for me, as this is slotted as my SHTF gun. I will start buying extra parts here and there, that way, if something does happen, I will have no down time.

The gun is a very simple weapon, and breaks down much like an AR. it's nice that it uses AR mags as well.

And after more research it looks like the gun has a 1:7 twist, so that may work even better.

Here is a Google link to photos. It's the ones with a wire stock.
http://www.google.com/m/search?oe=UT...&cd=1&resnum=1

Last edited by kristop64089; December 19, 2009 at 06:46 PM.