The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

stock refinish

Talk to me please about refinishing a rifle stock specificly around and in the checkering. I've seen otherwise nice jobs that didn't look right because there was too much finish in the checkering. but no finish at all in the checkering won't look right either.

Buzzard bait
Old November 27, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
WIN71

Be gentle

If you are stripping the stock with some type of varnish/paint remover use it gently on the checkering. I use an "extra soft" tooth brush. Whatever finish you are using thin it down with the appropriate solvent at least 50-50. I found that finishing the checkering last, i.e. after the rest of the stock has had the last coat applied, works best. I use an extra soft tooth brush to apply the finish. Don't goop it on. Gently brush in the direction of the checkering cuts, alternating between the two. Wipe off whatever splashes onto the finished and dry stock around the checkering
It's a pain but keep in mind a few goals:

1. Remove all the goo from the old finish
2. Don't pile more goo in when applying the new finish
3. Be gentle. Checkering points break easily, especially old ones.
4. Be careful sanding and applying coats on the main stock near the checkering patterns.
Old November 27, 2009, 11:51 PM   #3
LHB1

+1 with Win71. I use Caseys TruOil to finish/refinish all stocks and refinish the checkered areas last using 50-50 thinned TruOil brushed on with tooth brush. Be careful to not spread it out over the finished area of stock.
Old November 28, 2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Buzzard Bait

galazan pre 64

Yes I'm using striper to remove the old finish I bought a Galazan set of winchester pre 64 finish and stain I have never tried this product before.

Buzzard Bait
Old November 28, 2009, 12:37 AM   #5
LHB1

BB,
I lived in CC when we built the then new CC Pistol & Rifle Club around 1970. Was Secretary of the club for several years before my work relocated me to Houston. I left lots of bullets in the rifle and pistol berms when I moved away in Jan '75. Was a great place to shoot if you didn't mind the ever present wind.
Old November 28, 2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Buzzard Bait

I'm a member

I've been a member there since some time in the 70's i think late 70's its still a great place. It's starting to suffer from city encroachment the rifle range had to be shut down due to a subdivision being built behind the rifle range. the county aproved the building permit and redistricting to put houses in the drop zone of a rifle range (manure for brains) we now have a new rifle range that points more west and has about a 30 foot high berm.
Buzzard Bait
Old November 28, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Pahoo

Can definitely see that WIN71 Has been there and perhaps more than once. On checkering, I mask it off and wait till the last coat or last two coats. Then I use a soft brush to apply with the lines. Keep in mind that the checkered area is going to look noticeably different than the rest of the stock. If you get too much in the valleys, you can always chase it with a checkering tool.

A very important point, by my measure, is to keep each application light and workably thin. If you are using True-Oil, do not thin at all. It's better to apply many thin coats than a few heavy ones. Listen to the wood and it will let you know what it needs. You will get the hang of it once you apply the first coat. Don't rush it or get bored with the project. I always hang my stocks to dry. Good luck and you will like the finishied product.

Be Safe !!!