The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
camper4lyfe

Finding land

For those of you that hunt private property that's not family owned, how did you go about finding it? I recently moved farther away from my hunting land (45 minutes farther, making my trips closer to an hour and a half to get to hunting land), and want to try to find something more local so I can spend more time in the woods, and less time/money driving.
Old November 23, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Legwork is a large part of it. Dress neatly in a manner which middle-age conservative folks expect to see on a grownup and go from farm to farm, asking about their policy on hunting.

Check with the folks at local gunshops and feed/seed stores. Notices are often posted about hunting, as well as info from conversation.
Old November 23, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3
elkman06

Here in Wyo, most Game and Fish offices maintain a list of private land owners/ie: ranchers who allow hunting. They may or may not charge. So, starting with your game and fish or DNR are good places. Also, if you spot some likely land and wish to learn more about it, go to your county seat and at the assessors' office they have the owners listed, whom you would then contact.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"