The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 20, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
win-lose

Unfortunately there is no error in the title of this thread....

My new 3" gp100 has been with ruger for a couple of weeks now. I called last week, it's with a tech. The lady explained to me, in the nicest possible way, that they are running 4-6 weeks turnarounds, but to check back this week. So, it looks like I may be waiting for a bit I sent it in because I noticed a couple of cracks on the crane ( I tried taking pictures but I couldn't get it ). I figure it's gotta be a bad casting. This is my first problem with a ruger.

My new 3" 629 carry comp has been with smith and wesson for about 3 hours now . Seems that if I hold the gun upright and a little to the right, the trigger will intermittently stick during the release stroke. Unfortunately, this is not my first new s&w to go back to the factory. I know s&w to be a good company, with good people who will make my problem right. It's just... darn I have the worst luck with their guns.

And once again it seems I'm never far from my trusty sp101.

Anyway, I gotta go lay down now... I think I'm going to :barf:

Last edited by win-lose; October 23, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
dondavis3

Man that's the pits

I've been lucky and never had a bad gun problem - knock on wood

Good luck on getting your guns back in good shape.

Old October 20, 2009, 09:48 PM   #3
cougar gt-e

Ruger is normally rock solid. Hope it isn't a sign of dropping quality to get out quantity.

jb
Old October 20, 2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Teuthis

The most disheartening element of this post is the frequency with which such quality control and developmental issues are occuring in the two, major handgun companies in the USA. Must everything made in America be badly designed and shoddily constructed? Now it is our firearms, as well as our moribund auto industry, and seemingly most of the very few items still manufactured in this country.

Anyone who has collected and shot the old S&W and Ruger firearms should remember when each gun was a masterpiece; virtually without flaws. Smith and Wesson thoroughly inspected every weapon, made by masters who cared about what came from their factory. Ruger revolvers were built to the highest quality and were completely reliable. One could expect to pick up any box containing one of those firearms, walk out with it and find that it met one's highest expectations. The most variation one might experience might be the trigger pulls on different examples.

Now we are beset with recalls, not only of quality control, but basic design flaws. Smith and Wesson, and Ruger, are most fortunate that manufacturers like Beretta and Glock are not interested in the revolver market. They would both soon be out of business. What a shame!

Colt is also actively recalling firearms. The Italian copies of the Colt 45 Single Action revolvers are as high quality and reliable as anything Colt manufactures.

Perhaps if buyers were more demanding, and made known, as I have, a firm reluctance to purchase additional firearms from companies who cannot properly, and honestly, inspect firearms before allowing them to leave the factory, the makers might consider quality control and customer satisfaction in more tangible terms.

I think that we are now too accepting of shoddy manufacture, and too reluctant to complain.
Old October 21, 2009, 06:59 AM   #5
win-lose

Quote:
The most disheartening element of this post is the frequency with which such quality control and developmental issues are occuring in the two, major handgun companies in the USA.
For me, the most disheartening element is that my new guns are at the factory and not with me being shot, cleaned, and just plain oogled.

Old October 21, 2009, 07:02 AM   #6
rantingredneck

I have had experience with both Smith and Ruger's customer service dept's. and the experiences were great all around.

My condolences for your temporary separation from your 3" GP100. I'm not sure how I would take such a separation from mine . But at least you have your SP to console you.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 21, 2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Mark Milton

One of my friends is a college professor and the other night we were talking about this vis a vis the intermittant Taurus bashing online.

As he pointed out, it's just a fact of life in the modern world of high volume manufacturing and assembly line production.
Out of every number of given items (be they guns, cars or washing machines) a certain number will be defective.

Its just luck of the draw when somebody gets ahold of a substandard example.

The great Elmer Keith once wrote that if Smith and Wesson, Remington or Winchester made a thousand examples of a given gun and only one in each was defective he would invariably get that faulty one, LOL...

It is how it is...

Now compare that to the examples of "self esteem based' public education systems who think that because they are somehow special, when they get ahold of a sub par gun (or car or whatever) that somehow the entire makers product line is junk.

Anybody can get a lemon. Thats why manufacturers have warranties.
Its the law of probability in action.
Old October 21, 2009, 07:14 AM   #8
win-lose

Quote:
My condolences for your temporary separation from your 3" GP100.
Thanks.

There should be some kind of support group or better yet, a crisis center.... maybe with a number to call into to get some counseling.

Old October 21, 2009, 07:16 AM   #9
win-lose

Quote:
The great Elmer Keith once wrote that if Smith and Wesson, Remington or Winchester made a thousand examples of a given gun and only one in each was defective he would invariably get that faulty one, LOL...
Who knew I had something in common with Keith?
Old October 21, 2009, 08:54 AM   #10
CraigC

Mighty interesting observations Mark Milton. Probably 100% accurate.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Elvishead

You don't live in Califoria do you?

Quote:
My new 3" gp100 has been with ruger for a couple of weeks now. I called last week....
So you couldn't wait for more than a week, considering shipping time?

maybe you should buy a Taurus or Ruger.

Then, get back to me! or talk to Ninjathon.

Last edited by Elvishead; October 21, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:18 AM   #12
win-lose

Quote:
You don't live in Califoria do you?
Close... I'm in MA.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:24 AM   #13
win-lose

Quote:

???? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

You don't think it is reasonable to call 9 days AFTER confirmed receipt (it was overnighted to them), to inquire about a status? Really????

BTW, a gp100 is a Ruger.
Old October 21, 2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Russ5924

I just hope that Ruger doesn't screw up the rest of the guns the way they have messed up the 10-22. They have turned it into a cheap piece of c+++ It will live on for a time by reputation but I think there is going to be a lot of unhappy people over the long run. Im not a Ruger basher I own 8 of them
Old October 21, 2009, 05:39 PM   #15
javabum

WOW.......JUST WOW.

NRA Life member
Old October 22, 2009, 01:26 AM   #16
Elvishead

Quote:
???? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

BTW, a gp100 is a Ruger.
, Yes, I did wake up on the WSOTB.

Sorry, I meant Rossi, not Ruger. Ooooppsss! LOL
Old October 22, 2009, 06:55 AM   #17
Jart

Relax and give yourself a pat on the back. It's through the efforts of those of us with chronic statistical clusteritis that the rest of the internet gun community is largely able to state with a straight face that they've never had issues with <fill in the blank>.

Personally, I've chosen to specialize in removing factory defective Bangor Punta era pinned and recessed product from the market so that others can maintain the fantasy that only post-2002 product was subject to dubious QC and previous products were all assembled by Thorbardin Dwarven craftsmen in rooms overseen by master Stradavari while being sung to by angels.

I also dabble in "monday morning with hangover" shaky-hand crafted Colt Pythons and the bubbafied versions of several older brands not attributable to factory error. I round out my community service by buying factory squib ammo whenever possible (not "dud" - actual ignite and lodge in the barrel or dribble out the muzzle squibs).

You have the more difficult cross-eyed bear as the quantity of new product is overwhelming. It's an under-appreciated service but someone has to do it.

But, the next time you see someone post that all older S&Ws and Colt revolvers should be canonized, that they've never, ever had a malfunction despite having been shooting for ten years longer than their not inconsiderable 85 year life and have expended three million rounds of promotional white box ammo without incident, know that it's folks like us that permit such postings by drawing off the bad stuff.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
We should compare notes in another year.
Old October 22, 2009, 07:11 AM   #18
rickyjames

jeez a ruger quality thread, 4 to 6 weeks turnaround time.....does this mean they have few service techs or does this mean they have that big of a back up of quality issue returns? 4 to 6 weeks....go figure.
Old October 22, 2009, 07:27 AM   #19
win-lose

Elvishead

Quote:
, Yes, I did wake up on the WSOTB.

Sorry, I meant Rossi, not Ruger. Ooooppsss! LOL
No worries, it happens to all of us. We're cool.
Old October 22, 2009, 07:34 AM   #20
win-lose

Jart

Quote:
Relax and give yourself a pat on the back. It's through the efforts of those of us with chronic statistical clusteritis that the rest of the internet gun community is largely able to state with a straight face that they've never had issues with <fill in the blank>.
We should get an award or something.... I guess, just knowing that we are saving our fellow gun nuts from the agony of defective product encounters should be enough. Still, a hat or a T-shirt would be nice.

Btw... That was a great post. Thanks for that.

Last edited by win-lose; October 22, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old October 22, 2009, 09:51 PM   #21
win-lose

Update

Looks like Ruger is replacing the crane and the ejector rod (I'm not sure about the cylinder); and polishing the frame. I'll check back with them next week, though a good part of me is hopeful it'll be back by then.

I haven't contacted s&w yet, so no update there.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:00 AM   #22
warnerwh

The long back up for service may be because they've sold ten times what they usually do in the last year. They've probably even hired more people to help. I've not seen, owned or used a Ruger newer than the late nineties. However my brother bought a new GP100 a few months ago and would have said something if there were the slightest issue with it.

Now you guys have made me curious as I've seen too many of these threads regarding Smith and Wesson and Ruger having a higher than normal quality control problems. It could be a case of haste makes waste as they've been trying to keep up with demand.
Old October 23, 2009, 03:20 PM   #23
denfoote

I'm not wishing to yank yer chain..

But my trusted TAURUS Aluminum alloy Ultralite .38spl has been going strong since it rolled off the Brazilian production line in 1998!!!

Equally, my M605 has been the same since it was born in 2003.

My point is that there may be some shread of truth to the theory that there is a systemic quality control problem throughout the gun industry!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old October 23, 2009, 03:43 PM   #24
1naylor

I called Taurus today and spoke with customer service about sending an oooold pistol of mine in for a small repair. He said the turn around right now was about 5 weeks... so I guess it's everybody.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:41 PM   #25
win-lose

Update #2

It's Friday night and my 3" 629 is home, tested and cleaned! Poor guy needed a new hammer block. I dropped it off Tues. night at the factory and picked it up this afternoon (Fri.). Needless to say, but I will anyway, I'm very happy.

Last edited by win-lose; October 23, 2009 at 08:51 PM.