The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2009, 06:46 PM   #1
nl2471

Need mold reccomendations

I'm looking into buying a mold for my 9mm Ruger sr9 and was wondering which type and size you guys would recommend. I would like a lee mold I have no preference on the bullet type just want one that has a good chance of working in an sr9 barrel. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Sky Master

I'm using the Lee 358-105 swc in my Colt Combat Commander 9mm on top of 3.5 grs of WW231. I size it to .357. This bullet also works well in a 38 special or .357.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:27 AM   #3
hornady

From your post I take it you are new to casting. I have cast bullets for many years. And just like reloading. There are many aspects to it. Lee is defiantly the cheapest rout to start out. Just like reloading. I would not jump in without some. Basic understanding. Lymam and RCBS both put out good books on Bullet casting. And explain. Bullet Diameter affects , Alloys, mixing and fluxing alloys, Barrel slugging, sizing, as well as lubes. To cast for one Caliber is debatable as to cost effectiveness. A very cheap bullet a lot of guys are using, is the Berry Manufacturing plated Bullets. They have free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy casting. It adds a hole new aspect to shooting.