The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2009, 11:29 AM   #26
amd6547

I own both the 92FS and the HiPower. Enjoy shooting both a lot. Wouldn't think twice about defending myself with either.
The HiPower definitely CCW's easier, and fits my medium sized hand better.
The Mag disconnect does not bother me one whit, and my Brownings trigger is just a fine trigger as is. Never been affected by hammer bite, either with the commander style hammer or the other type. I've shot older Nazi and Inglis Hipowers, and never had a problem feeding any JHP I put through them.
If I had to sell some of my guns, I would keep the HiPower.
Old September 28, 2009, 12:38 PM   #27
alfack

Quote:
Uh...FN IS the original manufacturer of the Hi Power. Browning Arms is just an importer of guns made by FN (Fabrique National).
My bad. I meant FEG, not FN. Too many acronyms for me to try and remember, these days. Anyway, I meant the clones, whatever they may be.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:59 PM   #28
Lucky 7

gyvel: I've read that before. Not concerned in the least. Thanks for looking out.

Besides the trigger being improved, the mags fall free now.

*End thread hijack*

Regards,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old September 28, 2009, 05:52 PM   #29
Northslope Nimrod

Another vote for BHP.

Get a trigger job first thing. Remove safety disconnect thingy.

What you get? High capacity, single action, smooth shooting piece of history that has class.

As time goes on, I am more and more a SA only kind of a guy. It takes some of us time to come full circle....and realize that JMB was the MAN.

Personally, in 9mm, I go for the BHP, the 1911 in 9mm and CZ Single Action. The others don't seem to do it for me anymore.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:31 PM   #30
Primered

I own both. If, for whatever reason, I had to get rid of one, the Beretta would have to go. I did work on the triggers for both guns and the BHP's ended-up the better. The Browning fits my hand better, shoots easier and is more accurate.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:46 PM   #31
platform

I like SFS on Hi Power (this is where the safety lever moves the hammer into 'ready position). I think it is unique and useful. But it takes years of muscle memory to get use to this thing

The beretta has
a) more capacity
b) it has a 'complementary' carbine system that you
can use with the same mags (no carbine exists for
Hipower as far as I know).

I feel that a barely used Hipower MKIII should not cost more than 500 bucks, neither should the M92 beretta.

If it is for carry only HiPower
if it is to build a 'system' around with tons of mags, barrels/uppers for .40 or .22 / carbine -- then beretta.

HiPower is better looking to my eye than a beretta
but I enjoy looking at all of them... I have to say :-)

By the way thedealerwarehouse had hipower .22 uppers - they were hard to find when I was looking for them (but now I do not have the means :-( to get them when they are available).
Old September 28, 2009, 11:39 PM   #32
IanS

I'm a fan of both guns. They were the first two handguns I ever owned. But they are so different its sorta like asking which is better, Glock or 1911?

Reliability: edge to Beretta
Ease of Maintenance: edge to Beretta
Size Efficiency: BHP hands down
Weight: though similar BHP's seem lighter
Trigger: SA or DA/SA only you can decide
Accuracy: tie

Which would I pick if I had to stash one for use 20 yrs from now?
Beretta 92FS.
Old September 29, 2009, 12:40 AM   #33
gun nut

I have both and like both. Love the grip on the Hi-power. The beretta feels much larger and heavier. For ccw i'd take the hi-power. My hi-power is stock and my beretta sa pull is better. Still debating on removing the hi-power mag disconnect. My follow up shots are quicker on the beretta. Both are excellent and completely reliable. Maintenance is similar on both for me. If I had none and had to pick one I'd handle both if there was a big price difference that would probably cinch it for me. Both have plenty of possible future modifications if your into that sort of thing.
Old September 29, 2009, 01:19 AM   #34
Dannyl

Hi,
I have had the opportunity to own and use both extensively.(Although the Berretta was a company issued gun)

Not only that the ergonomics of the BHP are far superior for most users (you will have to determine this personally), my wife is quite a small lady, and the BHP is so much her favourite that I have bought another one, just for her ( we both shoot in IDPA and Pin-shooting clubs).

The trigger on the BHP as it comes form the factory is a tad heavy,but with simple work by a qualified gunsmith the trigger it can be made soft and crisp. This is not the case with the Berretta, where I found the DA trigger very long and rather heavy,and not much could be done to remedy it.

Where it comes to capacity, 14 round mags are available for the BHP, so the Berretta has 1 round advantage, hardly significant IMO.

One can say that any firearm can be concealed, people hav walked around with Shotguns under trench-coats as well, but for daily carry I find the BHP easier to carry (IWB) concealed than the Berretta.

At the end, one cannot really fault either of these guns, so the choice will be what fits your hand better (also what feels more comfortable on your hip) so if you only want to buy one, make aplan to try both, see what is best for you
(Just do not be deterred by a hard trigger on a standard BHP, it does not cost a fortune to make it much better)

BTW, my company issue Berreta was (really, not kidding) lost when a diamond mining ship sank in 2002, the gun was locked in a safe.

Brgds,

Danny
Old October 3, 2009, 12:39 PM   #35
medalguy

I can't add much to what's already been said here, but since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

I own a 92, HP, and 1911 and all shoot very well. The grip on the 92 is definitely a better fit to a slightly larger hand, so you will need to test it for fit. My personal best feel handgun is the 1911 but it has smaller capacity. However, if I can't stop someone with 7 shots from the 1911, I'm getting the heck outta Dodge!

The 92 I have is stock out of the box and shoots great. My HP is also stock, no work done on it, and while the trigger pull is a little heavy, I don't really have a problem with it. My 1911 is a USGI Singer and shoots like a dream.

I just have a problem messing with any gun that works well for me. I use a Colt Officers in 45 for a carry gun so I can't really address the carry issue.

My recommendation: test fire both weapons and see which works best for you.
Old October 3, 2009, 01:11 PM   #36
CWO4USCGRET

Apples and Oranges.

I wear a different pair of glasses; I see comparing two different handguns whose only common connection is that they are both "hi-cap" 9mm semi-auto pistols.

That said, they are both excellent pistols; the Browning's profile is smaller (by a bit) and makes for better concealability; neither fall under the heading of "compact" however. I have a nice Bianchi pancake style holster that holds my Beretta very close to the body; and have numerous holsters my BHP fits. (it will fit a lot of my 1911 holsters)

I give my vote to the BHP; I have one in .40 S&W and two Inglis P35s (WWII) that I am building; matching slides and frames from E-Gun Parts two years ago.

There isn't anything wrong with the Beretta or the High Power (SA/DA vs. SA) - with a heavy (147 grain) hollowpoint both guns are potent defenders; I just like the Browning better...
Old October 3, 2009, 01:19 PM   #37
rsxr22

i had my first experience with a BHP this weekend and omg it is awesome. I was really turned off by them initially because of their looks and turned down the chance to shoot them a number of times before, but i am sold. I want to find one with the stainless frame and black slide, they grew on me reall fast
Old October 3, 2009, 01:35 PM   #38
dgludwig

You might want to look at a CZ 75/85: ergonomics close to the Hi-Power: high ammunition capacity and can be carried in either a cocked and locked or a traditional da/sa configuration. I have a Beretta 92 and have found it to be very comfortable to shoot and handle (I do have large hands) but it is a little big for the 9mm caliber.

Tags
beretta 92fs , browning , hi-power