The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 22, 2009, 07:01 PM   #1
delta58

Bassett Machine M1a mount

Anybody have any experience with these M1A mounts? It looks like a pretty good setup.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_home_buynow.htm
Old September 22, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
sholling

I have some experience with a couple of their mounts and in dealing with them as a company. Just based on working with them with on some issues I had with using one of my scopes I have to rate the Bassetts as some of the nicest people in the business. That's saying a lot with as many good people as there are in the shooting industry. Just super people. They really went out of their way to be helpful.

The original "standard" mount seems to have been designed around a very long tube - long eye relief scope. I had to choke way the heck up on the stock to get close enough to use my Nikon Team Primos which is a fairly compact scope.

The Picatinny was a way give you more options for mounting the scope but was kind of high. I haven't seen the new low Picatinny mount but it sould be well worth looking at. They do stand behind their satisfaction promise.

I'm not a huge fan of scoping an M1a because of cheek weld issues but if you do you may want to look at adding something like a Karsten Custom adjustable cheek piece.
Old September 23, 2009, 05:41 PM   #3
delta58

Thanks for the input, I am planning on using a 16X42 Super Sniper, I think the eye relief is about 3.75".
Old September 23, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
sholling

If you look at this photo of their Picatinny (from their site) you'll see how long of a scope the original was designed around. Hold your rifle up and see how close you can get.

Old September 24, 2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Candiru

This is pretty cool. I've been planning to get a Bassett mount for my M1A, but was wondering if the height would be an issue. It's good to have another option, but I'm conflicted: The old picatinny rail was really high, but you could use the iron sights under it. On the other hand, having a cheek pad high enough to let you use the scope would make it hard to drop down to the irons. But then on the third hand (I played in a lot of toxic waste as a child), part of the appeal of a Bassett mount is how easy it is to remove and reinstall--so theoretically the entire mount acts as a quick-release setup.

Tough call.