The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 12, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
RT

SAKO 75 scope mounts options

Hi all,
I have a Sako 75 hunter in 30-06 and am looking for options for mounting a scope. Does anyone have experience with the Sako optilocks? How about the quickmount version? http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...kmounts/S19009
Any other options?
What would you personally recommend
Right now I am considering a Zeiss 3-9 x 40mm or maybe a 50mm. Does anyone know if a 50mm objective requires low or medium optilock rings?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Horseman

$370 for the quickmounts? The low optilok's will clear a 50mm on most rifles. The bases are very tall so you don't need height on the rings. I've heard horror stories about Leupold's shooting loose. Warne's will work but have been discontinued because of fitting issues on the 85. Talley's look awesome but rely on a set screw mashing the checkered top to hold the bases on.

I went with optiloks which were grossly overpriced from Beretta for $170. I'd either got optilok, Talley, or Warne in that order. If you don't mind chancing it the Leupold's are the simplest design and look the best IMO.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3
BusGunner007

I hope you find something for your SAKO.
I really wanted to get one, especially since it's marketed by Beretta, and the safety works similarly to the Remington 700's, BUT --- the scope mounting options were atrociously priced and limited, not to mention I didn't care for the way they looked...

My personal wish was to forego the SAKO or other SAKO-type mounts and just go with a Picatinny rail...

They are great firearms.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:58 PM   #4
mrgrinch

Don't forget to check out Sako's ringmounts that have the ring and mount combined into one piece. I have these on two of my Sako 85's and like them. They are lighter than the optilock's and are slightly lower. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-rings/S170190
Old September 13, 2009, 08:34 PM   #5
mes228

SAKO

I had a Sako Forester in .243 cal. I have a set of used opti lock rings and bases left over from the sale. As the guy I sold it to was a Sako person and already had rings/bases. Don't know if they will fit your rifle. If interested E-mail me at [email protected] if you are intersted. Be sure and include a subject line so I do not delete it as spam. Very reasonable priced as I have no use for them.
Old September 15, 2009, 05:05 AM   #6
RT

Thanks for the info, guys. I am gonna order a pair of the optilock ringmounts and see how they work.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:30 AM   #7
TangSafetyM77

I sent you an e-mail.