The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 13, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: February 22, 2008
Location: Eastside, WA
Posts: 136
Conflicting Answers

I'm a resident of Western WA and I didn't think it mattered what county you live in to get a CCW. I thought it was for the whole state, my local PD says I have to live in the city my drivers license was issued from. So what can I do to avoid changing my drivers license? Can I go to the sheriffs dept instead to get it? What difference would it make if I drove over to Port Orchard to get it and drive back home? If I just change the address on my license will I still have to change it on my vehicle too? I'm trying to avoid that because my vehicle is smog test free in Port Orchard and wont pass over here.

The whole reason I want to do this is more for proof for FTF transactions because I feel we might end up buying and trading more if "The Man" pins us all down.
I was told once "if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all"
Dan31 is offline  
Old October 13, 2009, 08:26 PM   #2
B. Adams
Join Date: January 1, 2007
Location: Vermillion, SD
Posts: 55
I live in South Dakota, and I had to have my current address on my drivers license in order to get a permit.

My advice would be to change your license to reflect your current address.
B. Adams is offline  
Old October 14, 2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Junior member
Join Date: January 25, 2006
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,719
My first advice would be to comply with RCW 46.20.205 regarding your Washington Driver's License and then you won't have a problem with your CPL.

(1) Whenever any person after applying for or receiving a driver's license or identicard moves from the address named in the application or in the license or identicard issued to him or her, the person shall within ten days thereafter notify the department of the address change. The notification must be in writing on a form provided by the department and must include the number of the person's driver's license. The written notification, or other means as designated by rule of the department, is the exclusive means by which the address of record maintained by the department concerning the licensee or identicard holder may be changed.
Until then, if you go to the city/county listed on your driver's license to apply for the CPL, you will be lying on the application for the CPL regarding your address. If you go to the city/county in which you actually reside for your CPL, as required by RCW 9.41.070, they probably won't take your application because of the wrong address on your driver's license.

When you change the address on your vehicle registration, the DOL simply gives you a second page to attach to the original registration with your new address on it, but I do not know if you have to comply with the inspection requirements of the new county.

Here is the applicable portion of 9.41.070:

(12) A person who knowingly makes a false statement regarding citizenship or identity on an application for a concealed pistol license is guilty of false swearing under RCW 9A.72.040. In addition to any other penalty provided for by law, the concealed pistol license of a person who knowingly makes a false statement shall be revoked, and the person shall be permanently ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.
NavyLT is offline  
Old October 14, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Junior member
Join Date: January 25, 2006
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,719
Here is the info for changing the address on your registration. Since it can be accomplished online, I am assuming there are no additional inspection requirements:

Isn't it easier to comply with the law now, rather than having to deal with it after being issued a citation for non-compliance if you are stopped for a traffic infraction, or if you are in an accident whether or not the accident is your fault?
NavyLT is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.05465 seconds with 9 queries