The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 3, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
jclayto

Smith 686+ 5" 7 Shot???

I am looking to purchase a NIB smith 686+ revolver. It features a 7 round capacity, 5" barrel and unfluted cylinder. This gun is smith model number 150181, however I can not seem to find any info on the gun. I did read one post on this site from 2007 saying it was a "Stocking dealer special" whatever that means.

Has anyone shot this gun or heard positives/negatives about it?
Old June 3, 2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Hank15

I own something similar

I own a smith and wesson 686+ 6".

The trigger is really smooth, and the recoil is rather manageable (even with Fiocchi 357 magnums).

Make sure the grips fit you nicely, they're responsible for most of your felt recoil. The grips my 686+ came with are a little thinner than they are supposed to be, so I do feel a little more recoil compared to other guns.

Also make sure that you're willing to clean the front of the cylinder after each shooting session, because they are rather stubborn and will not come off easily.

PM me if you need more advice or if you have any more questions.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Also make sure that you're willing to clean the front of the cylinder after each shooting session, because they are rather stubborn and will not come off easily.
The 686 is pretty much the bell cow of the .357 world. I've got a 6" 686 and the gun is a dream to shoot. Replaced the terrible plastic/rubber grips with a nice wood set and haven't looked back.

As far as cleaning the cylinder face, a lead away cloth really helps knock out the fouling pretty easily.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:53 AM   #4
jclayto

thanks guys. I have heard nothing but good things about the 686 and I have really enjoyed every one that I have had the chance to shoot. Actually the only smith I don't enjoy shooting is my 340pd (scandium .357 snubbie). but it fit's its purpose nicely.

I guess my question is more about the 5" variety now, anyone seen these?
I found one on gunbroker so I have an idea of what it will look like, but it's strange that I cant seem to find a 5" variety listed on smith's site, or anywhere else really.

I am looking forward to it. I am trading a Desert eagle + cash for it. I liked me DE, but I think this will be a much more practical gun.

Any reason not to shoot lead from this gun as long as I clean up afterwards?
Old June 4, 2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Stainz

I bought a new 6" 66 as my first .357M (9/03) - fitted it with a HiViz front sight and Ahrends grips before I shot it. Then, S&W came out with the 'Stocking Dealer Exclusive 686' - similar, but included a V-notch rear sight. Ultimately, it was next. Here is a scan of my torn sheet on it:

Sadly, it's favored status changed when the 4" 627 Pro arrived last year:

Still, it's a keeper. If I could keep but one of the above... the 686+ would be gone. Of course - I don't - so I will gluttonously keep them both (... and the 6" 66!).

Stainz

PS Note the date on the ad sheet - lower left - 10/03! They have a new one?

Last edited by Stainz; June 4, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 08:17 AM   #6
trigger happy

stocking dealer means a dealer who keeps a minimum number of firearms in stock at a time, so let's say the minimum is 6 (I suspect it's closer to a dozen) for conversation sake, if you have the minimum in stock and have a habit of it then you can order the special 5 inch barrel 686+
Old June 4, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
jclayto

Thanks that pretty much clears it up. I'll let you know how it shoots when it arrives.
Old June 4, 2009, 08:36 AM   #8
pilpens

I have a 686+ 7 shot, 5 inch barrel, full lug, fluted cylinder, fiber optic sight, v notch rear, no lock.
Sometimes it feels a little too front heavy.
Trigger was heavy from the factory-replaced the return spring to lower trigger pull. DA is OK, SA is very light but this just be my revolver.
Accuracy is good. Very little recoil with 38 special or 38 +P. With pachmyer grip, .357 is easily tolerable.
Had it sent back to smith twice for timing issues which smith fixed for free. I used to shoot it mostly fast double action. I seldom do it now or when I do, I shoot DA slowly because I think shooting fast DA messes up the timing. Had replaced the latch that holds the cylinder in placed at bottom side of frame twice because of wear from the cylinder rotation.
Approximately 1000 rounds of .357 and 1500 rounds of 38 special and 500 rounds 38 +p, so far. It is mostly a range gun.
If I were to do it again, I would get the 4 or 3 inch barrel, likely the 3 inch.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Hank15

Don't trade

Your desert eagle may not be a practical piece, but it's worth much more than a 686+. I remember seeing a DE at my local store for about 1600..
Old June 4, 2009, 11:54 AM   #10
jclayto

I am getting a nice chunk of cash to go with the trade ...

Honestly, Mk1 Desert Eagle in .357 is worth about 1,000 on a really good day. I had it for sale here for $750 for a while and the only offers I got on it were in the $600 range. There is just not a lot of demand for these guns unless you have a shop and can put it on display. If you can display it, you can sell it big on the WOW factor.

Thanks for all the good info!
Old June 4, 2009, 11:59 AM   #11
jclayto

I forgot to ask one thing. Does being a "stock dealer special" have any positive or negative effect on future value of the gun?
Old June 4, 2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Hank15

Wow....

I don't know if the dealers in my areas are ripping people off or what.

But I'd buy a DE for anything under $1000 the moment I have enough cash.
Old June 4, 2009, 05:54 PM   #13
RyeDaddy

I owned the exact gun you're asking about. Owned it about a year, sold it a year ago to a member on another forum. It was a good gun after much effort to get it to shoot point of aim.

Groups were great out of the box, but the sights didn't have enough adjustment to get POA and POI to the same point at 25 yds or less. It shot at least 3" low with ALL kinds of ammo, even with the sights adjusted to the limit. Called S&W, they sent me a prepaid FedEx label, and I shipped it off. Got it back exactly 6 days later (was very happy with turn around time), but they had rebarreled it, and someone wasn't paying attention and put a 6" barrel on it. Took it to the range just because, and it shot fine, so I figure it was just a funky barrel. They sent another prepaid label, and I sent it back. Same fast turn around time, I get it back in about a week with a correct 5" barrel, but alas, it's back to shooting low. Sooo... I took the front sight off, and did some research. I find that the front sight is not the correct height for the 686, it's got the taller front blade from a 629 for some reason. S&W was as pleasant and polite as ever when I call this time and they send me 3 different front sights of different heights, overnighted. The one at the correct height causes the gun to shoot perfectly, and from there on out I was very pleased with it.

I am still very happy with the way I was treated by the company. I felt thatthey treated me like I was first priority every time, and I appreciate that. Because of this, I would buy another Smith if they would get rid if the frame locks. The gun itself was GREAT and accurate as you could want, well balanced and tough. Ahem... once it got right.

Sold the 686 after a while when my father in law bought a Colt Python, as it just ruined the Smith for me. But his Colt cost twice as much, so I don't fault the 686, I think they're head and shoulders above the Rugers.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:11 PM   #14
maustypsu

4" Was Assume

I had a 4" 7 shot 686. I traded it for a ruger super redhawk in .44 mag with a 7 1/2 barrel because I wanted to hunt with a pistol. Ohio law required a 6" or longer barrel and the ruger is definately better for that purpose for me.

I don't visit a gun shop without wondering if I made the right decision. I'll add one back again someday soon.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Renfield

Quote:
Does being a "stock dealer special" have any positive or negative effect on future value of the gun?
not by itself but it may be rare and desirable because of it's rarity

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old June 4, 2009, 07:21 PM   #16
Jimtl

I have the same gun ... bought it last summer. Great gun! Here's a pic...

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...2.jpg&newest=1
Old June 4, 2009, 08:35 PM   #17
jclayto

Thanks Jim! I can't wait. I hope to have my new 686 end of next week.
In the mean time, can you send me one of those les pauls? I play a 01 sparkle top les paul myself.

Thanks everyone!
Old June 5, 2009, 06:42 PM   #18
Jimtl

I'll be shooting my 686 + this weekend ... it's actually been a few months -- been shooting my M&P9c lately. I'm sure you'll enjoy the gun! The dealer I bought it from had several in stock last year. One of the range instructors had one and I loved the way his shot ... so I bought one.

Les Pauls are great ... the plain top is a custom shop, the other is a Standard Faded... but I like 'em both!