The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
mrappe

C&B nipple questions

I am thinking about getting different nipples for my C&B pistols (1860 & 1858 Pietta) I was wondering if the Tresco nipples are any better than the standard ones. I looked at the website http://www.trackofthewolf.com but I was at a loss as tho the size/type/thread pitch for these Pietta guns. Does anyone know which ones fit and if they is really any difference? Now I am using #11 caps (CCI & Rem) but I have to pinch them to keep them from falling off especially when the nipples are clean or new. It would be nice to have a FAQ for these things since I have seen several post regarding these topics.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:34 PM   #2
mykeal

Yes, a FAQ thread on what nipples fit what revolvers would be nice.

All medium frame Piettas (including the 1860 Colt Army, 1861 Colt Navy, Starr SA and 1858 Remington New Army and New Navy) take a metric thread nipple: M6x0.75mm. The Track of the Wolf part number is PIR-A for the Ampco (Treso) nipple. The Treso part number is 11-50-10, although some purveyors use 12-50-10.

Treso nipples are all sized for caps with the larger opening diameter (sometimes known as "No. 11"). They have a smaller flash channel than standard steel nipples, but the Ampco material (which is a proprietary beryllium/bronze alloy) is very hard and does not erode like the standard nipple flash channel. They are also much more resilient to dry firing, which translates to much longer life from repeated hammer strikes with a cap installed. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Last edited by mykeal; May 19, 2009 at 01:41 PM.