The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Uncle Malice

New to the site! Introduction and my own guns.

Hey guys, I just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself and talk about what I have.

I live just outside of Phoenix, AZ. I moved here last year from outside of Chicago where I spent my whole life until now(I'm 25). I grew up in a fairly rough neighborhood. Had my bicycles stolen right from 3 different times growing up!! in retrospect, i shouldn't have been riding a $500 BMX bike in such a neighborhood but I used to race, so I rode everywhere!! Aside from the fact that I was a minor so I couldn't have them myself, I was never really around guns. My step father had a shot gun in the closet that he used for hunting maybe once every 3 or 4 years. I didn't realize how locked down IL was compared to other states when it comes to firearms. Fastforward to last August..

I moved out to AZ with my girlfriend and everything was great. I ride a Harley to and from work every day. Well, one day about 3 months ago I was on my way home from work and there was some big white pickup truck with huge tires and a riser kit, etc. Well, it was a diesel, so when he stomped on the pedal it would throw a nice black cloud out of the exhaust. I was at a stop light when this guy pulled up next to me and when the light turned green, he hammered it and blew a huge, nasty cloud of soot right at me...

Needless to say, I was furious. At the next light, a few blocks up, I looked to say something and he had a huge grin on his face when he looked at me... I told him he should be more careful with how he takes off and may want to have the exhaust looked at... (perhaps I used more colorful words, but such is life) Then he holds up his gun to make sure I could clearly see it. I hadn't made any types of threats... i was just ****** off.

This guy proceeds to chase me down and nearly runs me off the road. Luckily, I was able to make a turn into a neighborhood and cut a few corners in order to get away. I have no idea what he would have done but I certainly wasn't going to stop and find out.

It was then that I decided I needed my own gun for protection. Even then, I didn't know just how liberal AZ gun laws were, but I had seen a couple of people open carrying so I knew it was possible. I contacted a friend that I knew shoots and asked him about acquiring a gun. He told me about a few of the local shops, gunbroker and backpage. He's a huge Glock fan himself although he has many guns. He lent me his copy of the Arizona Gun Owners Guide and told me to study up... check out a few different guns and decide what I wanted from there.

I did some looking and happened to find a brand new, still in box, unfired Glock 23 for $500 on Backpage. I was amazed at how easy it was to make the purchase. I loved the size of the gun. I got a decent nylon type tactical holster as I don't yet have my CCW. I went out to the desert a few times and shot it. It seems like a very well built gun. I have installed the mag well and purchased a 3rd magazine. Last week I ordered an M&P 9c. I have been reading non stop reviews about glock vs m&p vs xd series. Certainly there are strong opinions on all sides of the fence. Everyone seems to have their preference. One phrase I see thrown around a lot is, 'get both' or 'get them all'... So I jumped on the M&P 9c after strongly considering the Glock 26. I hear great things about the M&P ergonomics and want to try it for myself. I got the shipping confirmation and tracking number this morning!! So I'm waiting on that.

Over the weekend I made about $800 on an item I sold on Craigslist so I had some more expendable cash burning a hole in my pocket. I work in Scottsdale about a mile away from the famous Scottsdale Gun Club. I wanted to go in to try out the XD series on lunch. I was looking at either the service length or subcompact. Well, they were all out of the xd-9 subcompact but they DID have the new XD-M 9mm in stock. I had heard a lot about these but they looked rather large online. They are gorgeous and expensive and I just wanted to touch it! The salesman took out the black on black XDM-9 from the case and handed it to me. As soon as it hit my hand... I knew it was coming home with me! They only had 1 new one still in the box... at 599.99. The gun is amazingly small for being a 'full size' gun. It is much less bulky than the Glock 23... and while I don't even have my M&P yet, it's going to have a hard time living up to the XD-M. This thing is going to be easier to conceal than my G23 and with an unparalleled 19 round magazine in a concealable package I think I'm in love!

I grabbed some ammo while I was at it and made it out of the shop at just a hair under $700. I took the weapon back to work with me and let my co worker drool all afternoon... He has a beretta 92FS. On my way home from work I went out to the desert a ways to do a little plinking with the new toy. I had my range bag in the car so the Glock was ready to go as well. I fired off 50 rounds with the XD-M and 50 rounds with the Glock. I am still unbelievably impressed with the XD-M. While it's unfair to compare the kick of the 9mm XD-M to that of the .40 cal Glock 23... The XD-M feels wonderful in my hand using the medium back strap. The Glock is... a glock. Big bulky grip but other than that, it shoots what you aim it at. The sights on the XD-M are a lot nicer than the factory Glock sights too.

The first magazine through the XD-M, the slide failed to lock back after the final round. Not sure why that was but the next magazine processed fine and locked.. and the first magazine that was refilled with the remainder of the box did lock after the last round. That was the only error. The Glock performed as is should... nothing new there.

After I got home, I broke them both down and cleaned them up. The XD-M seems to require a bit more oiling than the Glock - which requires next to none... just on the few key areas. The XD-M manual tells you to put a thin layer of oil on all metal surfaces. I don't know if this is really necessary - I did NOT oil the back end of the slide(firing pin assembly and such)... I know better than that.

So that's me. I'm a Glock fan but the XD-M has just taken a HUGE chunk of my heart - even if it seems to require a little more attention than the Glock... I'll gladly give it. We'll see how the M&P compares to these two after I receive it a little later this week!

P.S. - Sorry for writing the book... :-P
Old May 12, 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Ben

Welcome. Nice write-up btw. I like that there are companies pushing the envelope with regards to how many rounds they can squeeze into a gun. The Springfield XD is a rebadged HS2000 which I was never a fan of. I don't doubt that it's a reliable gun. It's just "not my bag baby." But congrats on your acquisition and keep us up to date.

A little about me: I'm from New Mexico; in fact my heart is still out there. But my family is all in Georgia or Florida, so that's why I'm here. I've been a Police Officer for 7 years (Motor Cop for 2years). I've slowly assembled a collection of some of my favorite guns. I really like Beretta's and metal-framed Smith & Wesson's. I don't much care for the M&P we carry at work. It's reliable, but I'd rather carry my old 4003 instead. That's enough about me.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; May 12, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Cuban_Homer

Welcome to the site. I'm new here as well.

Hey there. I'm pretty new to the site as well, but everyone has been great answering my questions. I am the proud owner of a Ruger SR9(green frame with a black slide). I've only had it for two days.

Picked it up on Mothers day, and took it to the range today to seen how it runs. I put 100 rounds through and all is well. I love the size, weight, and slimness of it. I did some strong arm shooting as well for the first time which was cool.

My name is Mike, I'm 23, and live in Southern California. Take care.
Old May 12, 2009, 01:20 AM   #4
txbirddog

Welcome to the land of the Free. Didn't know you were in another country did you. Excellent write-up. I can see the BIG GRIN on your face.

Now a couple of thoughts to save you some money. Every gun, like motorcycles, have their own personality. When you get a new one it is kind of like "cheating" on the SO with her permission.

Take your time and find the one(s) that you like, brand that is, and enjoy them a little before getting all brands. I say this due to the fact, you can learn all the intracacies and nuances of cleaning, modifying , and servicing. I speak from experience since going from Glock to Beretta to Kimber to Wilson Combat to Glock/Beretta and now the M&P. (Newest member of the family)

Another cost saving feature of the above advice is holsters. If you get molded holsters, you will need one for each brand and you ALWAYS have a drawer full of ones you don't use as you were trying to find the "right one". (you are going to have 3 drawers ). (If the girlfriend finds a stash, relate them to shoes, she'll understand )You can also find ones to fit similar models, Glock 17/19/26 Or M&P 9/40/45.

These money saving ideas will allow you each morning leaving for work to decide, do I take Papa, Mama or Baby? IWB/OWB/OC?

One more thing from a fellow biker, Bike against Cage, Bike ALWAYS LOSES!!!

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old May 12, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
maustypsu

I guess I am in a similar situation to where you started. Glock, M&P, XD(m)??? I've got Sig and Kimber in the mix as well. Kind of like the Sig and the XDM (until tomorrow!). I just want to get the 'perfect carry gun'. Even though I know it won't be my last (got on a shotgun kick last year and bought 8). I just can't get myself to pull the trigger - pun intended.

So before I realize it was too late and I needed one before I made up my mind, please check back in. I'd love to hear what you think about each of them after you get a fair chance to shoot them all.

I've shot a few XD's and, tons of Glocks but don't recall shooting the M&P. I was kind of scared off by the price. When I looked at them a few years ago they were only $480 with extra mags, a holster, etc. I had a friend who had bad experiences with S&W autos and let that low price scare me away. Oops!
Old May 12, 2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Dingoboyx

+1 txbirddog

Always plenty of holsters in a drawer somewhere

And the rule is, if you have a holster and no gun to fit it, you MUST then purchase a gun that will fit it (good rule, I reckon)

Welcome to the forum, Uncle Malice
Old May 12, 2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Kyo

welcome to the world of guns without idiotic politics! Congrats. I was lucky enough myself to move to GA after leaving my old country, so I can understand how you feel about not being able to own. Do a review of the XDm, I will read it.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Uncle Malice

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! I had run across this site several times in all of my research and reading and everyone seemed to be mature and polite.

I got annoyed reading some other board where someone stated their opinion about how they preferred 'this gun' over 'that gun' and people were "omg you are stupid, don't you know the technical specifications of gun 'b' are totally superior to gun 'a'? Go back to school dummy! GAWD!"

And... that's not really my style.

So thanks again! I am going to pick up a few more boxes of 9mm today that I can run through the XDM and also the M&P whenever it finally gets here!! I will throw a write up of my personal experiences and preferences between the 3 so hopefully someone else can benefit!

Cheers.

@txbirddog - I hear you on that one. The significant other knows about the Glock but I haven't yet told her about the M&P I ordered or the XDM I picked up yesterday. It's not that she'll care about having the guns in the house, I just need a way to justify $1,200 in guns in the past week!! lol
Old May 12, 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Dingoboyx

Uncle M

Just tell her you're taking the Glock in for some re-modeling.... let her see you take the empty Glock box and when you return, show her the new M&P in the Glock's box and say 'see, dearest, they remodeled it for me, what do you think of the changes they made?'

Works for me..... (but dont let her catch you playing with both at once)
Old May 12, 2009, 12:40 PM   #10
txstang84

Quote:
got annoyed reading some other board where someone stated their opinion about how they preferred 'this gun' over 'that gun' and people were "omg you are stupid, don't you know the technical specifications of gun 'b' are totally superior to gun 'a'? Go back to school dummy! GAWD
...stick around for awhile...you'll see it eventually. More often than not, people are mature, but, every so often, people lose their scruples.

However, it sounds like you've got a nice little increasing assortment-cheers! Now, you just need to get a 1911 or three, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen S&W, an SR9, a makarov...

just kidding...

unless you really want them

good guns are addictive.
Old May 12, 2009, 03:06 PM   #11
NJG33

Uncle Mike said:
Quote:
I got annoyed reading some other board where someone stated their opinion about how they preferred 'this gun' over 'that gun' and people were "omg you are stupid, don't you know the technical specifications of gun 'b' are totally superior to gun 'a'? Go back to school dummy! GAWD!"

And... that's not really my style.
Kinda like this?

Uncle Malice said:
Quote:
I hear rubbermaid makes a pretty good container for the Sigma... 30 gallon, with a hinged lid to keep the the smell to a minimum...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=357243
Old May 12, 2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Tophe

Welcome to the site and the gun owning addiction

Another fellow biker here, and I am jealous that you get to ride year round....

I have looked at all three of the guns you're referring to, and have liked them all.....oddly though I ended up buying a cz p-01 9mm.......something about it just fascinated me.

Keep practicing and ride safe!

Cheers
Old May 12, 2009, 06:15 PM   #13
PhoenixConflagration

After acquiring three guns in about as many months (A Hi-point C9, a PT111, and a Bersa .380cc for her), my wife made me sign an agreement not to buy another for three years in order to get permission to buy my G19. I agreed because four guns in five months was the beginning of a real bad habit. If I had lots of discretionary income, that would be one thing, but collecting guns when struggling to make rent and car payments just don't mix.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:46 PM   #14
txstang84

...at least you weren't dropping the dinero on S&Ws and Colts...that can get you in deep quick!
Old May 12, 2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Uncle Malice

@NJG33 - haha.. well, kind of like that. I was only poking fun though. Not being rude(intentionally). If it came off that way, I apologize. I have never held or fired a sigma. It was actually going to be my first gun when i thought my budget was about $350... I decided to wait the extra week and go for the Glock. :-P
Old May 12, 2009, 07:21 PM   #16
jman841

Welcome, i can relate with that state law stuff. I currently live in mass and always have, but my parents recently bought a house in florida, so while i will still be in college here, i'm going to transfer my residency to florida.

Just thinking that i can walk into a gun store and buy whatever i want with no 10 round mag limit or low capacity limit, or muzzle breaks, or be arrested for putting a different stock on a 10/22 or SKS.

Amazing
Old May 13, 2009, 11:41 AM   #17
HisSoldier

Malice, the part of your original post that bothered me was where you pulled up and gave the truck driver a hard time. Now, brandishing, which is what it sounds like he did, is against the law, as is his chasing you. I suspect there is more to the story, maybe you used some Chicago language on him?

Maybe I'm not getting the scene as it happened, I would never have said anything to anyone on the street just because his exhaust was dirty and I happened to be behind him, I mean, how could that be intentional?

Perhaps there was some threats the other direction? I don't know, and I've met rude inconsiderate people who would escalate a common exchange.

Out West most folks don't use obscenities against strangers without expecting a fight. And over exhaust smoke?

If you start fights with strangers you better not carry a gun.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:55 AM   #18
armsmaster270

UncleM:
A Sigma is so close to a Glock S&W had to pay royalties to Glock for the ones they sold for Patent infringements They are both good guns I have one Sigma but they are not my cup of tea but many like them. I prefer all metal guns, but that is me, some do & some dont that is what makes it interesting. Welcome to the forum.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Malice, the part of your original post that bothered me was where you pulled up and gave the truck driver a hard time. Now, brandishing, which is what it sounds like he did, is against the law, as is his chasing you. I suspect there is more to the story, maybe you used some Chicago language on him?
The exhaust blast was intentional. I had followed the individual for several miles. When he would drive normally, there was nothing. If he stomped on it, it would blast a huge cloud of soot at whatever vehicle was next to him(side exhaust). The cloud is so thick, you literally could not see anything until is dissipated. Doing it to cars is bad enough on it's own. Doing that crap to someone on a motorcycle is extremely dangerous. So yes... my words were a bit harsh but there were no threats made.

Quote:
Maybe I'm not getting the scene as it happened, I would never have said anything to anyone on the street just because his exhaust was dirty and I happened to be behind him, I mean, how could that be intentional?
I understand what you are saying. It's one of those... you had to be there situations.

Quote:
Perhaps there was some threats the other direction? I don't know, and I've met rude inconsiderate people who would escalate a common exchange.
Like I said... no threats were made. This guy was just some macho douche bag that was having 'fun' messing with other vehicle drivers.

Quote:
Out West most folks don't use obscenities against strangers without expecting a fight. And over exhaust smoke?

If you start fights with strangers you better not carry a gun.
I assure you, if you were there; you would have been less than pleased as well. :-) I'm not one to pick fights.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:14 PM   #20
HisSoldier

He'll get a ticket soon enough for the exhaust if it's that bad. Brandishing? Well, I don't know, but the punishment wouldn't be pleasant.

Once I was walking across a bridge with my girlfriend, soon to become wife, and some idiot in a convertible yelled something obscene about her as he drove by, a kid. That was a time that it was very good to not be armed, I'm afraid I would have shot a total stranger. I don't think the courts would have thought it a justifiable shoot.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that any of us who carry concealed should make very sure in our minds beforehand that no rude behavior of others, whether we know them or not, will cause us to brandish or discharge our weapons. In the case you are talking about I expect I would have just moved farther away, and let someone else tangle with the idiot. Can you imagine what might have happened to your life if he had brandished, and you had shot him?
Even if the courts absolved you of criminal liability there can be civil lawsuits that can ruin your life. So retreat, if it's available, is safer and very justifiable.

I feel for you in that situation though, and understand why you would want another option should you have no retreat available.

One can always just try to imagine how miserable such rude people are in their lives, and letting the realization sink in smile and go on our way free from their private hell.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:43 PM   #21
Uncle Malice

Yes, I totally agree with you.

I'm not saying that I would have drawn or fired because of his brandishing... not at all. It was just completely uncalled for.

In the end, yes I definitely agree that retreat/ending the conflict is the better option, if possible. I said what I needed to say, and that was all. I probably would have been more polite about it, if he hadn't been laughing.

In the end, I'm glad that I got away. I do wonder what may have happened if we had been stuck in traffic or something. But that's what sparked my interest in self-protection, and I've learned a great deal in the past couple of months - with much more to go! My CCW class is June 6. Should be a good time.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:32 PM   #22
BigJimP

Welcome

and welcome to our addiction / and for many of us - a hobby probably out of control ...but so what ...(keeps us out of the bars) / but I'm a lot closer to 60, than you are.

Personally, I like the older S&W revolvers, well made 1911's in almost any caliber and a few Sig's ...just because ( and wood and steel are more my taste) ...- and shotguns ( in all 4 gagues ) .... / hope you take the time to participate a little. Its a good group / and a lot of info and talent on this forum in all of the categories.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:38 PM   #23
HisSoldier

A friend of mine had a similar experience once, some kind of road non verbal argument that ended with someone in the other vehicle brandishing. My friend called the police with the cars description and license number. I believe the guy in the other vehicle had a sad experience that day.

It's easy to analyze a situation like that later and find fault, much harder to do the exact right thing when one's heart is pounding and imagining one's own eulogy. I'm glad it turned out for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Tags
glock , glock 23 , xd-m , xdm