The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2009, 01:12 AM   #1
alclarkey

9mm Shotshell.

I have 2 questions regarding this ammunition:

1. I realize that it may be less than lethal, which is kind of what I have in mind. Will it be able to help in a dire situation?

2. Will it ruin the rifling in my gun? It's a Sig P6.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:25 AM   #2
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I realize that it may be less than lethal, which is kind of what I have in mind. Will it be able to help in a dire situation?
if you're under the impression that there's a way to shoot someone without doing deadly harm to them, you have no business using a gun for self-defense. There is no "shoot to wound" in the real world, and using crap ammo will only serve to handicap yourself. 9mm shotshells will most likely NOT penetrate beyond the skin, reducing your effectiveness to pretty much nil.

but no, it won't hurt your rifling...
Old May 7, 2009, 01:43 AM   #3
Littlehoov

It probably also wont even cycle your Sig reliably. Making your dire situation even more dire.

Pistol shotshells are great for things like snakes at your feet.

As they wont do much more than **** somebody off, and youd be lucky if you could even hit a person past 10 ft or so.

In my opinion, if your situation has escalated to the point where youre bringing a lethal self-defense device into it, you need to use it lethally. I hate saying it, but I think its true. No one wants to kill, if they do, they need some help as far as Im concerned. But shooting to wound is not smart.

If you want less than lethal, look into the less than lethal SD options, pepper spray and stun-guns/tasers come to mind.

Or the martial arts.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Csspecs

The shells don't always kill rats in a single shot.... Think about it.

And then buy some real bullets or trade in your pistol for a home defense foam pool noodle.

Because if your going to only use something that may be only painful, then your the guy standing in the hallway flicking the bad guy with a damp towel.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:59 AM   #5
alclarkey

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of having maybe the first 1 or 2 rounds in the mag be shotshell, and the rest the hollowpoints that I own in case they keep on coming after realizing that I will shoot.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:24 AM   #6
David the Gnome

Shotshells don't have enough power to cycle the slide. You would have a jam after the first shot. That's not even taking into consideration that the P6 isn't designed for hollow points, let alone square shotshells.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:11 AM   #7
MEATSAW

I really never understood why CCI continues (or even began) making those pistol caliber "shotshells." The most ridiculous is the .22lr shotshell..I mean really? They don'y cycle auto's well, they have next-to-zero performance, and are a complete waste of time and money. In fact at the local gun stores, that's the only thing available because NOBODY (but maybe a few poor souls) buys them.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:17 AM   #8
srt 10 jimbo

Pool Noodles?
Old May 7, 2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Wiskey_33

Quote:
Pool Noodles?
Are you talking about these?

I know a guy who got arrested for smacking a jogger in the back with one while riding down the road in the bed of a pickup.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:07 AM   #10
GAshooter

MEATSAW they do work to some extent, I have killed 2 rattlesnakes and 1 rat with .38 spl shotshells. I don't know about the .22s, I am a little skeptical like you, but I don't take shots longer than a few feet with my .38 and have had pretty good success.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:01 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Define "dire situation."

But, broadly, I'd have to say NO, and NO.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:29 PM   #12
alclarkey

I've put 4 hollow points through it, to see how it would cycle them, and I didn't have any trouble. I know 4 is an underwhelming number, but the hollowpoints are too damn expensive to put any more through.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:56 PM   #13
djc

if you use 9mm shotshells, use them single shot. i bought a case for snakes and put a few into a mag in my hi-power for testing. the first round shot but the second round got stuck in the barrel after the slide didn't cycle fully as David the Gnome's attests.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:16 PM   #14
csmsss

I shot a squirrel at about three feet (it was in my parents' house) with a 9mm CCI shotshell, and it did absolutely nothing to the squirrel. That sucker just growled at me afterwards. A single shot with a .22 LR then did the trick.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:02 PM   #15
rsxr22

Do not use shotshells!! they wont hurt your gun rifling, but they are VERY unreliable. I've cycled a few through my guns before and the spent shell didnt even eject from the barrel
Old May 7, 2009, 04:50 PM   #16
Legumeofterror

they are not supposed to cycle autos, it says so right on the box. how do you propose it ruins the rifling?
Old May 7, 2009, 05:29 PM   #17
BigJimP

CCI shotshells are designed for revolvers - not semi-autos ...

They sure are not meant for defense.

I've fired shotshells in .357 mag and .44 mag revolvers - but not 9mm - but even shotshells out of a .44 mag are only lethal on snakes out to 15 or 20 feet.
Old May 7, 2009, 05:51 PM   #18
TMackey

My P89 had no problems cycling them, but they didn't do a very good job on snakes. I had to virtually shoot the thing point blank to draw blood.

I wouldn't waste money on shotshells, unless they are for a 12 gauge.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:02 PM   #19
Willie Lowman

Quote:
buy some real bullets or trade in your pistol for a home defense foam pool noodle.
it needed to be posted again.

I use shot shells in my .44 and only my .44 because my .357 doesn't hold enough shot per shell. I use these shells ONLY to shoot starlings off of my porch in the winter when I am trying to watch the cardinals.