The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 4, 2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Leadbelcher

Don't have a lawyer...

Perhaps this has been covered-i did a search and didnt find anything...

I have a CCW here in FL and carry regularly. The only thing I am uncomfortable with is the lack of a lawyer. I can't afford one on retainer, but all the threads and common sense say contact your lawyer if you are involved in a SD situation.
So what do you do? Here I am, regular guy, and get involved in an SD situation. Who do i call? Public defender? I cannot afford much (losing the job come the end of May.) It's enough to make me leave my carry at home...
Any ideas?

Thanks
LB
Old May 4, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
David Armstrong

Do a search for Marty Hayes and the Armed Citizens Network he runs. Sounds like just what you need.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3
ar15chase

I wouldnt leave my carry at home. Would you rather be dead or injured... or in jail for a short time. This comes back to "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
Here in the US You have the right to an attorney if you cant not afford one one will be appointed to you. You dont have to speak to anyone investigating the inccident until you get and attny. or until they give you one.
I cant afford one either, but I would sure keep my mouth shut until I got one, if I had to use my firearm.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old May 4, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Bond007

Spend the time.

Not wanting to pay to keep a lawyer on retainer shouldn't keep you from investigating competent local counsel. Spend some some time, not money.

Look in your yellow pages or state bar website. Next time you've got some time on your hands, call up a criminal firm and ask if they have experience representing citizens on charges stemming from self defense shootings. If they say yes, ask about a free consultation. At worst, you are at least aware of a law firm if you need one.

If they offer a free consultation, go in and spend a free ten minutes talking to the lawyer about your concerns and ask her/him about past cases. Ask if s/he knows anything about local trends in charging for self defense shootings. Ask for a business card.

Waiting for a court appointed lawyer is not the best advice (it's just the easiest practice) and they are often not the best lawyers (sorry PAs, but often weren't the ones at the top of the class). Spend a little bit of your time ahead of time and you will feel remarkably better prepared, and hopefully you'll never need them.
Old May 4, 2009, 05:05 PM   #5
David Armstrong

Quote:
This comes back to "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
It is actually better not to be judged by 12 or carried by 6. That should be the goal of the thinking CCW holder.
Old May 4, 2009, 05:11 PM   #6
KingEdward

I had an estate attorney complete our will and also do some work on my parents living will. While in the process, I brought up
other practices he / his firm are involved in. He gave me a card and I got to speak with an another attorney there who has worked with home owners and those with carry permits. He said to call him anytime if something serious comes up. I plan too do just that should it be necessary.

Talk to friends or others who have used attorneys or who may know a good one. There has to be someone you know who has a lawyer or who works with or can refer you to someone to talk to.
Old May 4, 2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong
Do a search for Marty Hayes and the Armed Citizens Network he runs. Sounds like just what you need.
On the net, you can go here, to see what the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network is about.

[shameless plug] You can also read my article about it in the May issue of S.W.A.T. magazine. Still available on the newstands for another day or so. [/shameless plug]

The thing to remember is that Criminal Defense Attorneys are just that. Attrorneys that specialize in criminal defense. They most likely do not specialize in criminal charges relating to armed self defense, which is an entirely different ballgame.