The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 1, 2009, 01:05 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Cool hunting photo

Dont know where this belongs but I thought it would be interesting to some of you. Dont know any of the story behind it. Pretty spooky nonetheless...
Old May 1, 2009, 01:20 PM   #2
GojuBrian

Whoah, stealthy!!
Old May 1, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

This fits in hunting section...
Brent
Old May 1, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
chemgirlie

Sneaky... That's really neat.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I'd almost bet that is fake. Seems pretty odd that the cougar could get that close undetected and not make his move.

Although - if it is real, whoa....... one stealthy cat. That would be one hell of a picture to find on your trail cam.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:36 PM   #6
cornbush

I have seen those little kittys in action I have no problem believeing it got that close undetected. They are incredible hunters, if you ever get the chance, just sit and watch one for a while. A momma with kittens is the best.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:23 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have seen this many times. I have had many look at it that are familiar with P-Shop and none see any typical give away signs of doctoring...
Brent
Old May 1, 2009, 06:28 PM   #8
fisherman66

Here's a pretty kitty

Old May 1, 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
MikeGoob

WOW--thats huge!
Old May 1, 2009, 07:15 PM   #10
fisherman66

Not my cat BTW. Sure is a big 'un.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

I find pics such as the OP to be awfully dubious. Strange there is that much clarity for the resolution, but the time stamp information is fuzzed. It is fuzzed on ever place I can find the image online and the one here is among the best in resolution, which isn't too great. The pic is attributed to Montana, Colorado, and Pennsylvania. More than likely, the time stamp is fuzzed so that it can be used as urban lore and repeatedly attributed to a given date, assuming it is a real image. Sure enough, it keeps recirculating on the net like it is new every year.

Maybe it is a real image, but has the date fuzzed for the story telling aspect. Maybe the whole thing is fake.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:05 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DNS, I noticed the same thing with the time stamp but when I hit Ctrl/+ to full enlargement it is not a date stamp. Just an image number and time which appears to be 12:04 or something similar.
Brent
Old May 1, 2009, 10:09 PM   #13
djohn

Thats my cat he has been missing for a while know. Seriously though nice pictures I likey.
Old May 2, 2009, 12:34 AM   #14
butta9999

Well it puts my photo of a cat to shame that i posted a couple of weeks ago.......
Old May 2, 2009, 03:40 AM   #15
cracked91

the best looking cougar is a dead one. Ugh, I absolutley hate those things. When I was 16 I worked as an archery counsilor at a summer scout camp. We had all just gotten girlfriends, and so me, my cousin, and my best friend, who also worked out there, would go up to a certain hill that we had cell phone service at and call them, well one day we worked late so we did not get a chance to go up, so we decided to sneak up there after curfew that night (10 o clock) I think there was an extra kid so we had 4 all together. We were about a mile away from our camp and were going over a small bridge near a different camp site. We heard some rustling in a tree and figured it was just some scouts screwing around. Someone shined there light up there and suddenly THUMP! A cat drops right into our light beams, I remember it was not even that big, but a fraction of a second after it landed, its hair shot up and it let out the most satanic noise I have ever heard in my life. Im serious this could stop a 10 year old kids heart. It sounded like when a cat fights, only a little deeper and sounded like it was put through a microphone with 10 amps hooked up to it. They say not to run from a cougar, screw that. Yeah it probably would have been smarter, but the cat was cornered and ready to attack, and the flee instinct was way to strong to resist. The thought not to run never even crossed out heads. We ran faster than I have ever ran in my life, and by the time we were 50 feet away, we were all running with unfolded gerber knives in our hands. We must have sprinted at least a quarter mile to the first building we saw. As I recall the fat kid threw up. After an hour of standing on the steps of the camp headquarters, we cautiosly went back to our cabin hill, woke everyone up and told them we had seen a cougar in camp. Noone believed us until it crossed paths with one of the camp directors. Have not seen one since, and hope I never do again.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:39 AM   #16
Telgriff

I always find it amusing when American friends of mine joke about how everything in Australia is out to eat you or whatever. Meh, we've just got nasty bugs, you guys have the REAL predators.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:11 AM   #17
skydiver3346

Ture or false?

Looks pretty real to me as captured by a trail cam. However, it is so very very close to that buck that it would seemed the Cougar would have attacked by now??
If picture is true, I'm sure the kitty had venison for dinner that night.....

Sort of scary isn't it, (if you were being trailed that close at nighttime by a big cat)?
When leaving the woods in the evening after deer hunting, I always shine my light (now and then) on my back trail just to make sure.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Skydiver, It makes you wonder huh! If it were a human being followed, our poor sense of smell and lousy attention to subtle sounds would make us kitty poop fer sure!
Brent
Old May 3, 2009, 02:31 PM   #19
jmr40

I once had a bobcat that close, or closer to me. I was walking into my hunting spot before sunrise. It was a perfectly clear morning with a full moon so I did not need a light to see. The moonlight actually caused me to have a shadow.

The cat was waiting along the trail in ambush, probably thinking I was a deer or some other prey. When I put my right foot down literally inches from it's hiding spot it ran across the trail behind me. I never really got a good look at it, but my brother walking about 10' behind me saw it clearly.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:19 PM   #20
cornbush

I have also noticed that if your in kitty country with a dog you have a better chance of being followed. They seem to have a genetic hatred for dogs, I have seen and heard of shed hunters being stalked many times, but only when they have their dogs with them. I was shed hunting with some buddies in S.E. Idaho and we had a border collie with us. We noticed a cat about 75 yards off pacing us across the hill. After about 20 or 30 minutes of this we decided to vacate, that cat followed us about 2 miles back to the truck. On the way back the dog got about 200 yards infront of us for a while and the cat was right there with it. I don't think it cared about us but instead was looking for some pooch for lunch.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:37 PM   #21
MikeGoob

In some pards of the world, dont they use 'masks' with a human face that are meant to be worn on the back of your head so that predators get confused and wont jump at you from behind?
Old May 3, 2009, 10:51 PM   #22
FrontSight

MikeGoob, yes, in India against tigers. Also wear football helmets with shoulder pads and spikes on the area where the neck meets the shoulders.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:09 AM   #23
omkhan

yes they do in sunderbun jungle of India since its the territory of one of the largest cats: Bengal Tigers which have claimed many human lives there. Apparently according to a NatGeo documentary, these tigers, unlike other big cats that attack on the throat, go for the neck/head from behind. So the local population started to wear such masks so that to lure the tiger that it can be seen & hence keep it at bay. Documentary later stated that tigers seemed to learn that illusion & attacks which did seem to get stopped just for a little while, started again.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:54 AM   #24
Buzzcook

Predators like dogs and cats, easy prey all fattened up.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:59 PM   #25
wyobohunter

They are very sneaky buggers

A buddy of mine and his client were quartering an Elk and had one sneak up to within 30' before they noticed it. He grabbed his rifle and drew a bead.. The cat just sat there crouched and twitching its tail for a minute or so before disappearing into the underbrush. They are also way stronger than most people realize, a big cat can drag a grown mule deer up a tree.