The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 28, 2009, 01:58 AM   #1
jgcoastie

Suppressed GSG-5

Hello all, I currently know absolutely nothing about NFA items other than a $200 tax stamp is required for pretty much everything and is obtained via ATF Form 4.

That being said, I would like to learn more and slowly get into the "other side" of guns. I would like to either have my current non-NFA GSG-5 chopped and threaded or buy another that is already set up as an SBR, preferably threaded so as to obtain the necessary stamp and suppress it. Which would be the better route? Use the current one and modify it? Or buy a new one?

On to the suppressor... What would be a (relatively) inexpensive, quality option? Are any changes required to the gun itself to operate reliably (well, as reliable as a .22 can be I guess) with a suppressor attached? Once I obtain all the stamp(s) required and buy a suppressor, can I still shoot the gun unsuppressed? Or does it have to remain as the paperwork says it is?

This will primarily be a plinking and rabbit hunting gun. My hearing is fading at a very young age and I want to protect it as much as possible while hunting rabbits (I hunt them a lot, about every three or four days) without having to constantly take my earplugs out to hear what everyone else is saying. That, and the added 'cool' factor of a suppressed SBR...

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your advice.

JG
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Jofaba

I'm looking to do the exact same thing, so I'll definately be keeping an ear (eye?) on this thread.

And to anyone who may say "why invest that much into a .22 plinker?", well it's cheap and fun to shoot, which means it gets a lot of range time. So why not invest in making it as fun an experience as possible?
Old April 28, 2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Joat

I would like to either have my current non-NFA GSG-5 chopped and threaded or buy another that is already set up as an SBR, preferably threaded so as to obtain the necessary stamp and suppress it.
Contact Gemtech They make adapters/barrels to convert the GSG into a SBR with a suppressor (2 stamp gun) and there was talk of making an integrally suppressed barrel for the carbine (1 stamp gun)

Which would be the better route? Use the current one and modify it? Or buy a new one?
That depends on how involved you want to get with it. The simplest way (and least expensive) is to get the integrally suppressed barrel and just swap it out for the OEM barrel on your current carbine. Then you can return it to original if you desire.

On to the suppressor... What would be a (relatively) inexpensive, quality option? Depends on which way you go. If integrally suppressed, you use what is there. If you go with the removable can there are several different options, I am using a YHM Mite on mine. Are any changes required to the gun itself to operate reliably (well, as reliable as a .22 can be I guess) with a suppressor attached? None that I had to do. Once I obtain all the stamp(s) required and buy a suppressor, can I still shoot the gun unsuppressed? Once again depends on the route you go. Or does it have to remain as the paperwork says it is? The suppressor is the registered item, not the host.

This will primarily be a plinking and rabbit hunting gun. Are suppressors legal for hunting in your state? I know that in Texas they are not, so check state/local game laws carefully as I am not familiar with AK law.

Joat
Insert Standard Disclaimer Here