The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 26, 2009, 06:34 PM   #76
Jofaba

Still have a lot of reading to get this whole thread but wanted to type a response and it wouldn't be changed by anything I read, so figured I would jump the gun. No cute pun intended.

So, I absolutely plan on handing over my permit if I ever get pulled over. It's been half a decade since I have, but even though I have experienced police doing things that I would have wished they wouldn't, including a cop who ran my plates when I asked for directions running me down instead of letting me know that the two bucks late fee on a speeding ticket had resulted in my license being revoked arresting me after leading me to the road I was looking for, I have the complete and upmost respect for all LEO, and as long as they don't shoot me or hurt me, I give them full authority during a traffic stop to protect themselves, since it's the most dangerous thing they do.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:09 PM   #77
Creature

Okay...lets get to the relevant matter then. Encountering an otherwise non-threatening citizen who legally has a firearm holstered on his or her person should NOT be "surprising" to a LEO. That is merely a citizen exercising his or her right to carry. What would be "surprising" would be the LEO encountering a citizen who POINTS a gun at him. Now that's pragmatic.
Old April 27, 2009, 01:24 AM   #78
stilettosixshooter

+100, Erik and Antipitas. This area of the law is complicated and sticky at best...and apparently ever-changing. Kudos for staying on top of it.

If I were a lawyer (not yet) and were giving legal advice (absolutely not), I'd say to keep your brake lights working and your speed under the limit if you want to keep the cops' noses out of your vehicle (and/or keep anything they find in your car out of court).