The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 19, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Join Date: December 30, 2008
Posts: 40
Anyone know how to get an FFL license in NY states?

Hi guys,

I am a New York State resident with a fully valid permit.

If i wanted to get an FFL license, what would be the process, timing, cost etc? How long would it take, what are the necessary actions etc.

Obviously, I have no criminal record etc...

Amurr is offline  
Old April 19, 2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Don H
Senior Member
Join Date: May 8, 2000
Location: SLC,Utah
Posts: 2,704
I'd think that the local BATF office would be the best source of current information. A phone call would most likely answer all your questions.
Don H is offline  
Old April 20, 2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Western Colorado, finally.
Posts: 19,107
Start reading....
Still happily answering to the call-sign Peetza.
The problem, as you so eloquently put it, is choice.
-The Architect
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Brian Pfleuger is offline  
Old April 20, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: April 12, 2006
Location: NKY
Posts: 11,943
Start reading....
And good luck!
"He who laughs last, laughs dead." Homer Simpson
Kreyzhorse is offline  
Old April 20, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: June 10, 2004
Location: Tioga co. PA
Posts: 2,526
For starters I think to get blessed for a FFL in NYS your going to need a storefront. Unless your talking about a C&R FFL.
USNRET '61-'81
rwilson452 is offline  
Old April 20, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: September 12, 2005
Posts: 3,733
For starters I think to get blessed for a FFL in NYS your going to need a storefront.
I believe so. NY had issues with people having FFLs so they have done their best to destroy their ability to do so. A physical store front requirement is one. Harassing them once they have it is another.

Contact whoever does pistol licensing in your jurisdiction for more info.
"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." Thomas Jefferson

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Musketeer is offline  
Old June 30, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: July 11, 2010
Posts: 1
resurrecting an old thread

I understatnd its hard to get a FFL in Ny but if you get one in another state then move to NY need you reapply since its federal?
whiskymedic is offline  
Old June 30, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
44 AMP
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Location: Upper US
Posts: 17,155
Back in the 1970s my Dad checked into it (and I'm certain its a lot more difficult today). Besides the FFL, with all its requirements, there was a NY STATE firearms dealer license you had to have, and all the regular business licenses as well. Also, they were pretty picky about zoning laws too.

Our local gunsmith had his shop in what was once his garage,but he had been there since just after WWII. Another fellow had a gunshop in his basement, which had its own outside entrance. But it was 40+ years ago...

Check with the local BBB, chamber of commerce, and zoning board, as well as the ATF. Talking to a lawyer couldn't hurt either (except for the cost). Do NOT rely only on information from the cops (or the internet!).

Getting an FFL in another state and moving to NY is only good for knowing if the Feds will grant their license to you. It does nothing for the NYS requirements. And the out of NY FFL would have to be amended (or reapplied for) when you changed address, anyway.

Good Luck.
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
44 AMP is offline  
Old June 30, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9
dogtown tom
Senior Member
Join Date: January 23, 2006
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,126
whiskymedic I understatnd its hard to get a FFL in Ny but if you get one in another state then move to NY need you reapply since its federal?
The license is address specific. If I were to move across the street I would need to file for an amended license. I could not continue business at the new address until ATF approves my request and does another premises "interview".

ATF will approve the FFL application if you can legally operate a business at that location. (legal under state/county/city/HOA/zoning/etc)
Need a FFL in Dallas/Plano/Allen/Frisco/McKinney ? Just EMAIL me. $20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA
dogtown tom is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07207 seconds with 7 queries