The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
vikz

My Tactical Shotgun

Hello folks I decided to add this Benelli Nova 12ga Tactical shotgun in my little collection, I used to own a Charles Daly 12ga but i never shot it with Slugs so today as soon as i got it i went to the range i tried it with the slug shell and one word "Ouch!!". I also tried it with regular target loads and it wasn't that bad, I dont like recoil that much but i just wanted the shotgun for additional HD gun..anyway here it is..

Old April 9, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
inSight-NEO

Yes, these guns do have a kick when firing slugs. But, I have found that the SteadyGrip stock (as mounted on my SNT) gives much more control and recoil reduction when firing such rounds.

I'm just curious..Why did you opt for the Nova vs the SuperNova? Regardless, you have a nice weapon there.

Here is a pic (a lousy one at that) of my Benelli SNT as it was outfitted prior to becoming a "safe queen."

Last edited by inSight-NEO; April 9, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old April 9, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
vikz

Insightneo they dont have the the super nova, they have one that i think is for trap shooting..they do have some mossberg and remys i just like the feel of the benelli, I think the price was a bit high (499) but he is the only one who carries it here in our little town plus he did give me a good trade value on my trade..it was a straight trade..
Old April 9, 2009, 07:59 PM   #4
inSight-NEO

Im not sure what the Nova's usually go for so I cant comment on the price you paid. But, I paid about $500 for my SNT, after tax.

Benelli's do feel nice, eh? Sure, the forend rattles a bit (then again, so does my Mossberg 590), but these Benelli's are smooth, tough, light and of exceptional quality, IMHO. Again, congrats...
Old April 9, 2009, 08:53 PM   #5
COYOTE JLR

Nice looking gun. I think you'll be happy with it. I bought the Super Nova a while back and I love it. I take it shooting all the time. Usually only take two and this one always comes.

I'll say that you paid a bit much for it though... I bought my gun used in great condition for $330, which was a good deal, but not outrageous. I have a couple buddies who got their Novas for under $300. One of them got his for $200 But that was off of a mutual friend who hates shotguns. lol.

Here's mine as tactical as I want it. http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...otej15/003.jpg

And here's me out having fun with her. http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...otej15/090.jpg
Old April 9, 2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Stuohn

Ya, just got back from shooting my SNT and have to say I really like the feel of this gun. Bought mine(rifle sights and comfortech stock) in feb for 459.00 plus tax at Gander Moutain. Would rather have gotten steady grip stock but, couldn't find one. Day before yesterday seen a regular nova with ghost ring sights at Gander for 399.99 plus tax. I did happen to find a factory new in package +2 extention for 59.00 two days after I bought the supernova.

Last edited by Stuohn; November 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:26 PM   #7
vikz

Range report!!

I was ableto trymy nova and tried several loads , i found out that the 00 buck shots by federal premium vital-shok patterns great and recoil is very manageable, i tried some 3 1/2 inche full power slugs and ouch!!wont do that again, I also tried some federal premium 3in 1 3/4 oz. #5 high velocity turkey load and found out that recoil is still quite strong, so i decided to use the federal premium vital shock 2 3/4 in 00 buck shot with 9 pellets ( copper plated with muzzle velocity of 1325fps..) as my HD load..thanks
Old April 13, 2009, 08:54 AM   #8
.351winchester

Can you get one of the little mercury inserts for the Nova? Might help for the slugs, for one solution