The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 2009, 07:27 PM   #1
rmocarsky

1911 feed ramp polish question

Question fellas,

My 1911 (Norinco) handles hydashocks ok, but not so semi-wadcutters (which is what I shoot a lot of).

I am considering having the feed ramp polished to help it digest SWCs easily, but can doing so in any way impact (negative or positive) its ability to cycle hydrashocks?

rmocarsky
Old April 3, 2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

If it feeds SWC it sohuld also feed JHP. You should be fine there. Just make sure you have a gunsmith that knows what they're doing. I have seen people with the best of intentions remove metal from the frame and barrel and then it won't feed anything. Make sure you take a few rounds of your chosen load to the gunsmith, too.
Old April 4, 2009, 01:41 AM   #3
rmocarsky

Yeah, Superhouse 15.

He told me to bring "several" SWC and Hydrashocks.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

Before you go changing your gun you might want to check the OAL of your semi wadcutter loads.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 4, 2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Tom2

I like to use cratex rubber bits to polish up feedramps on barrels, in a dremel type tool. They can impart a mirror like shine and if you use the finer grit versions they will not remove alot of material like using some sort of grinder would. They don't really change the contours but remove rough spots and seem to help reducing hangups on those rough spots. You don't want to remove alot of material or enlarge the ramp or something, unless you are a pro. at it. I don't claim to be a pro and do not try to recontour the ramps but shining them up and smoothing a little does not hurt.
Old April 4, 2009, 07:45 PM   #6
drail

Consider the problem may be the magazines you're using. The original milspec mags were not designed to release and feed SWC or JHP, only ball ammo. 90% of feed problems in a 1911 are caused by the magazine or the extractor. I have seen far too many 1911 really messed up because people would attack the ramp thinking that would fix it. If you look closely at the tracking marks made by a copper jacketed bullet on a feed ramp you will see that the rounds barely touched the top of the ramp on most 1911s. Polishing a feed ramp until it's shiny is something that everyone feel is necessary on a 1911 but is really more of a cosmetic thing. Look at the extractor angles and finish and tension first. If you want to work on your 1911 get Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual. It will save you much money and frustration. And also your ammo specs. A small change in OAL can do wonders.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Casimer

I'd look at the mags as well. But if the gunsmith wants to see a variety of the ammo that you're using, it's a good sign. At least he's going to analyze the problem.

A polish may or may not help - it's not the cure-all that it's often promoted to be.

But a polish shouldn't hurt anything if the contour of the ramp isn't altered.
Old April 5, 2009, 05:44 AM   #8
rmocarsky

I use Wilson 8 rounders.

rmocarsky
Old April 5, 2009, 02:06 PM   #9
drail

Wilson does make a good magazine although I think they are little overpriced because of the name. I shot IPSC for many years with the basic McCormick Shooting Star mags and they were 100% reliable for considerably less cost. But 1911s can be picky with what they like. Try everything you can. Keep fresh springs in your mags. If they start having problems with the last two rounds feeding your springs are probably getting weak.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Re4mer

I had my 1911 feed ramp polished for the same reason. It really didn't help too much.