The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 3, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
chris in va

Did something get banned today?

Went to get a holster at a local gun store, one of the employees mentioned some type of gun got banned today.

I'm not trying to start anything, just wanting clarification. I suspect it was just rumor.
Old April 3, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Chipperman

Certainly not on the Fed level.
Likely not on the State level either.
Old April 3, 2009, 06:57 PM   #3
riggins_83

This is my only issue with gun stores.. they love to start rumors and keep driving their sales up. Granted not everything they say is B.S., but I've heard of lot of untrue stuff at gun stores...
Old April 3, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4
MrNiceGuy

it was probably whatever gun they have a surplus of

"it has been banned, better buy 2"
Old April 3, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
csmsss

Sounds like someone having themselves a very late April Fool's Day joke at your expense.

That said, today's tragedy will undoubtedly invigorate many anti-gunners with calls for banning whatever rifle was used in the shooting along with anything remotely similar.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:45 PM   #6
bessemerbob

Typical sales man crap..... I got 6 boxes of 223 for the range last week and as I was checking out the guy told me the Gov is probably going to stop ammo production and crank up 223 for the war effort, guess he wanted me to run back and grab all i could carry out the door.... DIDNT WORK!
Old April 3, 2009, 09:19 PM   #7
chris in va

Thanks, that's what I figured. This is getting very old.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:43 PM   #8
orchidhunter

Had that been a Assault type rifle rather than 2 handguns used in the NY state shooting, we were very close to something being put right at the top of the New Bann List. As far as sharp sticks go, they tell me that fire harden Hickory seems to hold it's point the best. orchidhunter
Old April 4, 2009, 06:17 AM   #9
KSFreeman

You've been buying guns for how long and you believe a stool sitter?

Remember the rule: anything you hear in a gun shoppe has an irrebuttable presumption of being false.
Old April 4, 2009, 01:05 PM   #10
thallub

Some folks are very vulnerable to the lies and hype that is being put out by gunshow promoters and the all knowing experts who work at gun store counters.

Three cops were murdered in PA today. They may have been killed with a semi-auto rifle. Apparently the shooter was afraid that Obama would take his guns. According to some of his friends, the guy had also lost his job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090404/...burgh_shooting

Quote:
Police did not immediately release the gunman's identity, but his friends identified him as Richard Poplawski, 23. They described him as a young man who thought the Obama administration would ban guns.

One friend, Edward Perkovic, said Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon." Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."
Old April 4, 2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Three cops were murdered in PA today. They may have been killed with a semi-auto rifle. Apparently the shooter was afraid that Obama would take his guns. According to some of his friends, the guy had also lost his job.
Talk about hype. So what if the gun was afraid Obama would take his guns? As with the article, you mention the Obama thing and losing his job. Big deal. You neglected the part about the shooter apparently having been disruptive in the neighborhood previously including fights with neighbors.

Quote:
Poplawski had often fought with neighbors and had even gotten into fistfights with a couple, Sand said.

"This is a relatively really quiet neighborhood except for him," Sand said. "He was just one of those kids that we knew to stay clear from."
Old April 4, 2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

If you really must comment about the Pittsburgh shooting, do it on the thread in general that has already been started about it. Not here. Not this thread.

Last edited by Al Norris; April 4, 2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 4, 2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Jon1911

These gun store quacks are their own worst enemies. They are starting to get a reputation worse than used car salesmen.