The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Homerboy

Unlaoding pump shotguns

the manual on my 870 Express says to cycle the forearm to unlaod the magazine. I as told that you can depress the latch on the inside to pop the shells out ith the action open, but this only orks once, and then the rest have to be cycled out. Seems to me that is a recipe for disaster. Am i missing something? Is that the only ay to unload a pump?
Old March 29, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2
vsgonzo

keep your finger off the trigger and cycle.

Its like unloading a boltaction rifle (well some have drop plates)
Old March 29, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Homerboy

That's what i do. I put the gun on safe, take finger off the trigger, and cycle. Just seems there ould be a better way. Now you have the extractor working to extract shells, and the shells are flying all over the place.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:39 PM   #4
inSight-NEO

Homerboy, Im just curious; how often do you feel the need to unload your shotgun? Is this weapon used for HD?

Anyway, as you have surmised, there is a different way vs the "rack and let fly" method, but it is somewhat tedious. If the "shells flying all over the place" bothers you, try tilting the weapon to the point where the extraction/ejection port is facing down. Just be sure that the safety is engaged, your finger is nowhere near the trigger and the muzzle is pointed away from you and facing in a "safe" direction.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; March 29, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
jmr40

I used to always use the "pump the action until empty" method all the time. Still use it most of the time when coming in from hunting and I am outside. Depressing the shell stop is the safer method and is required procedure for many LE agencies. I do not understand why you cannot remove all the shells from the magazine this way. Just take them out one at a time until empty them open the action to remove the shell from the chamber. Either will work, just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and keep your fingers away from the trigger.
Old March 29, 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
roklok

During my LE training, cycling the rounds through the action was called the "FUDD" method and definitely was the wrong way to unload a shotgun. (lots of pushups given for those using this method)

The method I was trained with. (Remington 870)
1. Pull forearm back slowly, catch shell that was in chamber
2. Roll shotgun to the ejection port side and catch shell that was on elevator as it falls into hand.
3. With forearm back, push elevator up, depress shell latch and remaining rounds will pop out into your hand.

Note that the forearm has to be back to get shells out of tube. therefore this method does not work as well with a lot of 870's with forearm wood that partially covers magazine loading port when action is open. With short forearms used in most duty shotguns it works wonderfully.
Old March 29, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
dgludwig

Quote:
Either will work, just keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and keep your fingers away from the trigger.
Best possible advice. And it applies to any and all firearms. There are folks who believe that a two-position safety on a rifle that locks the bolt closed when on "safe", requiring you to unload the rifle when the safety is on "fire" is intrinsically unsafe. WRONG! Just follow jmr40's reminder of time-proven and time-honored basic safety admonitions and all will be well.
Old March 29, 2009, 05:04 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Another + to the mossberg as the shell holder tang is clear and can be used without cycling...
Beneficial when you have slugs loaded and a pair of pesky squirrels are barking your location to the deer... silently swap out for 7 1/2's and blast them buggers... Sure the deer are gone but revenge tastes sweet for the dogs and snakes...
Brent
Old March 29, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9
brian4161

You could always pull the forearm back and tip the gun over so the shell fall's out, then push the forearm foreword on an empty camber and repeat.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:56 PM   #10
publius

yeah, you can depress the shell stop but I cycle the action.