The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 20, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
A_Gamehog

Trying to work up a new load

Someone suggested the ladder test, that raised more questions for me though. As I only shoot varmits and not targets or competitions I felt somebody here could answer my questions easier. I shot lots of powder in resolving my accuracy questions, 3 shot groups raised 2/10's of a grain starting 10% less than max got me to 34.0 grains of Reloader 10X very good 200 yard groups. However somebody had me thinking try another method (Ladder) and that's why I arrived here. If you look at my attached target picture from friday morning .

Gun:
22-250 with a 1:14 twist
bullet is 34 gr. HPFB Midway dogtown.
Anticipated Shooting ranges are 100-250yards max.
Neck turned
CCI-200 primers
Reloader 10X Powder
Rem. Neck sized brass 4X fired

#1 is 33.4 grains of Reloader 10X
#2 is 33.6
#3 is 33.8

and so on I had previously settled on marker #4 as my go to load never trying this ladder method. As you can see 11 & 12 are another place for interest, but it's close to the max 35.5 load. No pressure signs were ever noticed and I went to 35.8. Like I said shoot hotter? 35.5 or cooler?34.0

Thanks,

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0182.jpg (242.3 KB, 43 views)
Old March 20, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Ken O

Your doing just fine. Now load up five each of #6,7,8,9 and see which has the best group. It also helps if you shoot over a chrony while doing this,then you can also see how the SD will relate to what you are doing.

Usually as you work up you will fine two or three nodes which are the sweet spots of the barrel, I only see the one on your target, which makes things a little easier.

I use the ladder method, it keeps you from burning up a barrel to find the sweet spot. There is much written on this, I believe Dr. Ralph Constantine is the one who came up with it. Do a Google on him and the ladder system.
Old March 21, 2009, 09:00 PM   #3
A_Gamehog

Thanks,

got them all loaded but it was windy at the range, then rain. I need perfect conditions for a true test.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Ken O

Looking at your target again, I see another node, 11, 12, 13. So load up five each of those also.

What you are looking for is as you go up in powder charge, the elevation will climb quickly, then there will be a leveling off for three or four shots, then climb again and level off, etc. Usually there is three of these "nodes". You then try to find which one is the best by shooting a group in each of these. The one thats the best will be the "sweet spot" for that barrel. When you change anything it wont be the same, like a different bullet, or powder lot.
Old March 22, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5
A_Gamehog

Snow and rain again

Bought 2,000 CCI-200 Large primers yesterday after a 1 hour drive. Just my lucky day, but not today bad weather and I got cabin fever to shoot the test again. Thanks for the observation I got the same imput from another source 10-13 are a go also. I pulled a McFly and never fired a Fouler shot last session or the first couple would have been different. I have actually created a check list for the next session. I give at leat 6-8 minutes between shots.

Thanks, again,

Don