The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 24, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Holdupdisplays

Vault Rooms

We're seeing a lot of people beginning to invest in building vault rooms. Does anyone already have one or is thinking about building one? Pictures would be cool!
Old May 24, 2017, 11:10 AM   #2
webphut74

My garage is my vault. Works good. Lots of room. Theres even room for our small safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 24, 2017, 11:59 AM   #3
FITASC

Friend had his contractor build an underground shooting range and reloading area reached by an elevator through a secret bookcase lever - pretty cool. Officially it was approved as a storm shelter and wine cellar on the plans. Waterproof, subterranean, separate hvac, it can also double as a panic room.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:28 PM   #4
PlatinumCore16

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:40 PM   #5
FITASC

Sorry, it's a secret...............

Shooting lane is about 100' of 8' culvert buried underground with a concrete poured flat floor and drains. Sound amplification is HUGE so serious hearing protection is needed.
Old May 24, 2017, 08:13 PM   #6
rpseraph

How 'vaulty' are you looking for?

- A secure closet with extra studs, a solid door with good locks, plywood, fire rated drywall and maybe chain link fencing?
- A basement hideaway, cinder blocks, steel door and reinforced ceiling?
- FITASC's-friend-style custom purpose built, poured concrete box with all the fixings?

I did the closet thing... and then my wife turned it into a guest room so I moved my guns into a safe elsewhere, haha.
Old May 24, 2017, 09:00 PM   #7
TXAZ

Google "hidden rooms", there's quite a few that are very good. The people I know that have "vaults" aren't interested in pictures, descriptions or locations.

Security wise, it's very difficult to attack something that you don't know about, vs. seeing a safe door on a wall, then going in through the sheetrock next to it.

.50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 THRILL!
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #8
PlatinumCore16

Fine, I suppose it was an egregious request. But it still sounds cool as heck.

Wish I had that kind of money/land.
Personally, I would rather just have a secured safe. I also don't intend on owning more than 10ish guns (I think), so that would fit in even a modest safe.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I also don't intend on owning more than 10ish guns (I think)
THAT'S funny right there - I don't care WHO you are!

I thought the same - only had 4 long guns when I bought a top-of-the-line 12 gun safe. Wound up doing the "sell one to make room for the next" one routine and I STILL have 6-7 hidden here and there around the house. Safe capacity is NEVER what the makers claim, especially if you have rifles with scopes, AR type pistol grips, etc......

Tags
room , safe , vault