The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old Today, 03:22 PM   #1
southjk

Metal detectors at Home Depot?

I went to Home Depot yesterday and upon entering it seems I set off some kind of alarm. Most of you are probably familiar with the noise that happens at some stores when leaving and the cashier didn't deactivate the sensor on a product. This was the exact same sound I got walking in. There were a couple of people about 5 seconds ahead of me and I didn't hear anything but when I walked in - boop boop boop boop boop. I was not carrying any products or bags but did have my S&W Shield IWB. When it went off a couple of people in the service desk area looked up directly at me but nothing else happened.

Does anyone know if stores are scanning for guns now. If so I would not think HD would be the type to do that as I'd be willing to bet a large number of their customers carry every day. I was imagining some guys in the security office watching my every move on the cameras in case I decided to start shooting the place up.
Old Today, 03:26 PM   #2
Theohazard

I'm guessing something on your person (not necessarily your gun) set off the anti-shoplifting RFID scanners. I used to work at a retail store and that happened all the time with people walking in the store. I highly doubt all the people who set it off were carrying a gun since it was in an anti-gun place that pretty much prohibited concealed carry.

If someone walking in the store set off the beeper, we simply ignored it.
Old Today, 03:29 PM   #3
Rockrivr1

Doubt it was your gun. Those system are used to detect a magnetic strip or other items that will trip it to deter shoplifting. Did you have anything magnetic on you by chance?
Old Today, 03:44 PM   #4
southjk

Yes, that would make more sense. I guess they are trying to prevent folks stealing from walking out the entrance as well as the exit.

I can't imagine what could have been on me. I just had my keys, pocket knife, gun and that was it. Maybe there was something hidden in my clothing.

My over active imagination at work I suppose.