The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
JasperWolverine

First Handgun - Iowa

I live in Iowa and plan to attend the Tulsa Arms Show next month to buy my first handgun. I am an avid hunter, but I've never ventured into the handgun arena. Before I head to Oklahoma, I'd like to rent and try several different handguns to better determine what I'd like to purchase. My question for those of you located in Iowa is whether you are aware of any Des Moines area dealers or ranges that will let me rent and fire different types/models/caliber handguns before I make a purchase? Any help is appreciated. I'd rather not buy my first handgun without trying some different options first. Thanks all!
Old March 12, 2009, 06:00 PM   #2
vranasaurus

A handgun must be purchased in you state of residence. If you find one in OK it will have to be shipped to a dealer in Iowa.

You will also need to get your permit to purchase.

I am originally from CB and used to live in Ames. I am not familiar with any gun rental places near DM but I am sure there is at least one.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Rembrandt

Not aware of any indoor ranges in Iowa that rent. There was NLSI in Ankeny but it closed a couple years ago.

On the way to Tulsa stop at the Bullet Hole in Kansas City, they might be able to help. http://www.thebullethole.com/portal/...7/Default.aspx
Old March 13, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
skyflyer

Where in Iowa are you located?
I might have a few you could try out.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperWolverine
I live in Iowa and plan to attend the Tulsa Arms Show next month to buy my first handgun.
You will need to have the handgun shipped back to an FFL in Iowa and do the actual transfer there.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:22 AM   #6
tjhands

Surely you aren't traveling out there solely to buy a gun. There are many, many good gun shows here in Iowa. DSM and CR have them all the time.

To answer your question, though, I don't know of any ranges that rent handguns. Depending on what you are looking to buy and whether you're willing to travel an hour from DSM, I'd be happy to let you shoot my guns.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:40 AM   #7
OnTheFly

Edit: IF you are in western Iowa.

I'm not sure what they have for variety, but The Bullet Hole - Omaha, NE lists handgun and rifle rental fees on their "Hours & Rates" page.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 15, 2009, 09:23 AM   #8
JasperWolverine

Thanks for all the good info guys. I haven't had very good luck with selection at the gun shops around Des Moines. I didn't think that selection would be a problem in Tulsa. I'll be visiting a friend there that weekend anyway so I plan to check out the show while I'm there. If I find something, I'll just have to have it sent back here.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a semi-auto (maybe an XD-M or a Glock 26, probably 9mm). I'd also like a revolver at some point, but that will have to be business for some other time. Thanks again for all of the help.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:37 PM   #9
tjhands

Again, I think you're making this too hard. Doesn't Scheel's or Sportsman's Warehouse have any G26s or XDs? No, you won't be able to test fire them but neither will you be able to in Tulsa.

In OK, you'll have to spend another $25 to have the seller ship it plus another $20 for an FFL transfer here in IA. I just don't see how this is financially advantageous for you.

Go out there and figure out what gun you want, then come back home and buy it here.

BTW, I have a few 9mms including a G26 that you are welcome to shoot if you like.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:21 PM   #10
skyflyer

Good luck on your search but i think tjhands is giving you some good advice by the time you add the cost of fuel,
high gun show price, shipping and transfer fee you have a pretty expensive pistol.

sportsman warehouse doesn't have much of a selection yet but scheels has a few guns, I think the scheels in cedar falls is better priced then the jordan creek mall.

If you do decide you need to transfer look up http://www.gunsandmore.info/
You could also check buds and see what they have in stock.
The only nines i have are a s/w mpc or a glock 17 but if you make it up to Marshall county your welcome to try a few rounds.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:22 PM   #11
JasperWolverine

Thanks so much guys. I'll end up getting something in Iowa to avoid the hassle and extra expense. I'm still going to go browse in Tulsa (I'm going to visit a buddy anyway). I stopped by Scheels at Jordan Creek and they have the best selection of the area shops. I really appreciate the offers. I think I've got things pretty well narrowed down and it might be helpful to try out a few options.

Tags
advice , first handgun , gun shows , iowa , tulsa