The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 10, 2009, 12:34 AM   #1
cracked91

Whats your home defense plan?

Im kinda curious to hear some peoples home defense plans in case the boogeymen came knocking in the middle of the night. We all buy firearms to defend ours homes, but are we truly always ready to defend our homes in the blink of an eye? Lets say 3 am pounding starts on both your front and back doors. If you don't mind saying, what caliber do you use? Do you worry about overpenetration and bullets going through people and walls to hit someone else? How do you store your gun so that it is readily accessible to you but noone else? And remember you have seconds before the BG could be in your home among your loved ones.
Old March 10, 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Bauer

Because I live in an apt I have no back door. If someone were pounding on my front door all it takes is a hop up out of bed and 2 steps to where I can see the front door. My pistol is next to me at all times along with an LED light along with an extended 12rd clip but hopefully the 9rds of 180gr JHP would be enough. I suppose I would have to see if the pounding was and urgent request or an attempt at breaking in. I have only 1 roommate but I feel I need to protect her. Somewhere in there 911 is being called. Overpenetration has always been on my mind because I live in an apt but that will not ever stop me from firing to save my life or my roommates life.
Old March 10, 2009, 01:41 AM   #3
Shadi Khalil

I dont really have a plan but I have a gun and flash light on my night stand and I'm a lite sleeper.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Ian0351

1. Dog hears intruders approaching the apartment and goes bonkers... she does this a couple times a month, even when it's not an emergency. I don't mind, it's a good instinct and I get to practice clearing the house.
2. 12 gauge shotgun under the bed in condition 3. If the dog doesn't scare them away the slide racking probably will.
3. Fiance calling 911, I position myself with view of all routes to the master bedroom. In my apartment this allows me to see the 2nd bedroom, hallway to front door and hallway to living room, as well as ground level window in master bedroom.
4. Intruders receive healthy dose of #7 magnum turkey load to torso and head area. Overpenetration not a concern due to low kinetic energy of individual shot pellets. By now neighbors also calling police.

I believe this setup works well, In a very hairy scenario Fiance takes the shotgun while I retrieve and load my .357, which I don't normally keep loaded as it is a poor chioce for HD in multi unit living scenarios.

All other guns are secured in a closet and unavailable to intruders.

Numerous knives stashed in all rooms of house, in event that domicile is attacked and I am not able to get to bedroom before responding. I also do not like having to leave the room and come back just to cut something...

At her insistence we practice this regularly... she f'n rocks.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Ian0351; March 10, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: punctuation, added last line.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Fort up in the bedroom and call 911.

Make it clear to whoever's in the house that coming into the bedroom is a good way to get shot and that Johnny Law is en route.

Wait.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:40 AM   #6
summitrt

This site has some good general information on this topic.

http://www.intermatic.com/images/new...20a%20Plan.pdf
Old March 10, 2009, 09:43 AM   #7
ATW525

Ideally, the plan is to hold up in the bedroom, call the police and wait. I'm currently in the process of moving and after the move .357 Magnum will be my standardized defense caliber both inside and outside of the home. It's a proven manstopper out of a revolver and launched from a carbine it's just insane.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Fort up in the bedroom and call 911.

Make it clear to whoever's in the house that coming into the bedroom is a good way to get shot and that Johnny Law is en route.

Wait.
Exactly. I'd hope the dog would bark -- she has a great "I am a really big dog" one, when she chooses to use it -- but then, she may be looking to me to protect her...

The shotgun is next to the bed, full magazine, chamber empty. Call 911, rack it, and while on the phone with the Party Poopers, I'll let intruders know that they're welcome to whatever's downstairs, but the police are on the way, and I will defend myself if they come upstairs.

I won't try to "clear the house," or attempt to stop them taking stuff, but if an intruder comes upstairs, I will be "in fear of my life" and will act accordingly.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
David Armstrong

Quote:
Lets say 3 am pounding starts on both your front and back doors. If you don't mind saying, what caliber do you use?
None. I use my voice. If people are pounding on my doors I tell them to quit pounding on my doors and go away. If that doesn't work I tell them to go away before the police get here. If they still perists, and can manage to break down a well-secured metal door, I will probably shoot them with whatever I have handy. Don't worry about caliber, don't worry about overpenetration (which is grossly blown out of proportion, IMO). And don't worry too much about this "blink of an eye" stuff. It doesn't happen that way. If they are pounding on your door you have some time.

Last edited by David Armstrong; March 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Home Defense Plan

1) Call Police.
2)(possibly simultaneous) Try to Convince BG that exiting is best for continued living.
3) Shoot BG if he/she/it makes me.
Old March 10, 2009, 01:37 PM   #11
cracked91

All really good plans IMO, Now I know this is far fetched but we have had enough of them in the states to bring some concern, what about a serial killer situation, or and more likely, for the females, a sexual predator. I am talking about a BG that stalks you and is going to attempt to enter your house silently in the dead of night. The most obvious solution to this is a dog and/or alarm, but lets hear some other ideas
Old March 10, 2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Dwight55

No, . . . it is not IMPOSSIBLE, . . . but it approaches that, . . . getting into my house at night in a manner not allowing any sound.

Doors are shut, locked, and bolted (all 3), . . . windows are closed other than the one over my bed during some summer months, . . .

Plus, I have a very light sleeping wife, . . . and don't usually sleep too sound myself.

We're part of the call 911, wait for LEO's, . . . and after appropriate warnings, . . . anything coming into the bedroom door, . . . would be in trouble.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 10, 2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Ian0351

in re to the "silent stalker" type:
I believer that there are those who would attempt this, but having real world experience in silent infiltration I feel confident that very few would be assailant can avoid a dog's super sensitive hearing and smell. This is why so many military installations have canine security, even in the ultra-modern 21st century; they are far more effective than defeatable electronic systems.

in re to call LE and give verbal warnings:
I live in a castle-doctrine state, and believe in this principle completely. If intruders are in my house, in the dead of night, they get shot. period. I am not taking the time to ensure they aren't selling girl scout cookies, and they certainly are not welcome to "take anything downstairs, just stay out of the bedroom". My home is my castle, and any who would defile the sanctity of it pay the ultimate price.

Semper Fidelis
Old March 10, 2009, 02:49 PM   #14
tdrizzle

Open the front door, shoot whomever's there, race around the house outside to catch whomever's at the back door, doubletap them as well, put drop guns in their hands if they were unarmed and drag them over the threshold so it'll look more like a home invasion than guys with a flat tire who knocked on the wrong door. Go inside. Reload. Light a smoke. Pour a shot and drink it. Check and make sure they're all dead. Call cops, wait for accolades from the public.

Or maybe I'd do what Tam suggests. Not as much fun, though...
Old March 10, 2009, 03:07 PM   #15
doh_312

I'm with Ian, break into my house and it'll probably be your last mistake. Of course I'll check my target prior to trigger pull to ensure the stranger isn't really a fireman/police, or family member. If your a stranger your chances of walking away with out injury are small. Castle Doctrine is a pain in the rear for bad guys.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:08 PM   #16
doh_312

I also have a dog as my first alert system. The dog is also trained to run to my wife and keep her in sight when the dog sees a stranger.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:43 PM   #17
#18indycolts

moat, sandbags and a sniper tower.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:56 PM   #18
Ian0351

Watch out tdrizzle

That kind of talk will get you some personal attention (as the drill instructors refer to it) from the friendly moderators of this wonderful site.

Also, it makes us all look bad to ANTI trolls, especially the part about drop guns.

Realistically (unless you live in CA, NY, NJ or IL) you have no need to make guilty people look even guiltier. Also, if you get caught doing so (ie fingerprints or registered guns) you will go to prison even if the shoot was clean and the homicide justifiable (especially if you live in aforementioned states).

FWIW- hopefully the cops/firemen would be announcing themselves...In any event, they have no business breaking my door down: I am a responsible, law abiding, tax paying citizen.

Semper Fidelis
Old March 10, 2009, 04:01 PM   #19
#18indycolts

Quote:
hopefully the cops/firemen would be announcing themselves
they do, but sometimes forced entry is warranted. The bright flashing lights outside of your window should let you know who's there. Also, they have a right to breaking down your door, its called a duty to act. I've made forced entry numerous times, and yes sometimes the homeowner isn't happy but we have to do it.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Ian0351

Of course If it's LEO or EMS I would not be shooting first asking questions later. I would open the door and be as helpful as possible...
In what kinds of situations would you use a forceful entry when someone hasn't done anything illegal? What about the 4th amendment? Warrants?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious.

Semper Fidelis
Old March 10, 2009, 04:11 PM   #21
#18indycolts

1 example: if you're injured and can't open a locked door, then the door and frame will be broken. Thats a promise, sorry.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:14 PM   #22
armsmaster270

1. The dog knows and will tell me.
2. I reach above my head and grab the Sig226 with laser and my streamlight.
3. Wife grabs 1911 and phone while I activate car alarm with key FOB.
4. wait until entry or units arrive.
5. If units arrive put gun in holster & Identify, if BG enter I take left wife takes right. when finished wait for police

Last edited by armsmaster270; March 11, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:23 PM   #23
bugs

I thought about it ...

I wouldn't call it a plan, but I thought about it. Back when my 3 sons lived with us, I would take a stand at the top of the stairs. That way I am blocking entrance to all the bedrooms upstairs, my shots go down the stairs where there is no chance of hitting one of us, and if the BG shoots (and misses) the shots go into the ceiling of the bathroom behind me - not into a bedroom.

But now that the kids are all out of the house, I would probably stay in the bedroom and guard the hallway through the door, and have my wife stay back from the door out of the line of fire - dialing 911.

But I don't worry about this kind of thing very much. Our house is in the back of the neighborhood on a cul-se-sac and there is only one exit from the sub-division. If the bad guys are thinking about their get-away they will just go somewhere else where they have more options.
Old March 10, 2009, 07:12 PM   #24
Arkatect

Since my dog would welcome an intruder in; I'll grab my 40 out of the nightstand call the police and shout from the top of the stairs that if I see them I will shoot them. I live in Colorado so we have the "Make my Day Law" My wife would be armed too, so I'm thinking they wouldn't have a prayer if they were were stupid enough to come into our bedroom
Old March 10, 2009, 08:42 PM   #25
tdrizzle

That's why I put the wink, all. No, I wouldn't use a drop gun. No, I wouldn't run outside and shoot everyone.

People who come to my front or back door unexpected are very rare; that's what the backup cell phone in the nightstand and the Glock in the safe next to the bed are for. I have good locks, and if you get through them after I've called 911, doom on you.
Closed Thread