The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2009, 09:10 PM   #51
sdj

There are CZ 82s at this site for under $200: http://www.classicarms.us/

N.B.: 9x18
Old March 4, 2009, 10:45 AM   #52
Leejack

3 best for the money? hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Ruger P series
S&W Sigma
Taurus 92 series

leejack
Old March 4, 2009, 11:42 AM   #53
Dave Krobath

If your looking for Ideas to go look at in person you gotta consider the Bersa 9UC and the Firestorm 9. Both in the $300-350 range, 2 -13+1 mags, you can get nickel too. I have a 9mm, 40 and a 380 all shoot great with no problems. For a little more $$ the Baby Eagle is a great gun but stainless will put you over buget. There are alot of things $500 & over but the Bersa is the best choice for $400 and under IMO.
Old March 4, 2009, 05:50 PM   #54
verdun59

Go for the CZ 75B, and never look back.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:42 PM   #55
Boncrayon

Best gun for the money

Appears you all pulled out your sweethearts to this string. You are all right! What you hold and fire is the "Best gun for the money." In this forum, the simple mention of a manufacturer and model stirs the excitement. "Comfortable ownership" is the ultimate high for a gun enthusiast. Enjoy your firearm, be safe in handling, keep it secure, and practice, practice, practice.

I'm a Beretta guy, but love all models and love to shoot them all. Enjoy and protect our right to own them!
Old March 4, 2009, 06:48 PM   #56
vytoland

Best gun for the money

quality, dependability, accuracy............

S&W 686........used on internet auctions
Old March 4, 2009, 08:15 PM   #57
joe1347

Used G19 and as many Hi-cap mags that you can fit in your budget. Of course, you likely both can't afford or even find ammo now. But at least you would have a pistol and can shout "bang bang": On the plus side, no one can make any snarky comments on your shooting. Also saves on range fees and targets

Although it appears that you're looking for a self-defense pistol, a Ruger MKIII512 with a red dot scope is a great inexpensive .22LR pistol and given the high cost and limited availability of centerfire pistol ammo, a .22LR may not be a bad choice now.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 5, 2009, 01:21 AM   #58
SquidWarrior

No question in my mind, Ruger SR9. Of corse, this is only my oppinon. It feels better in my had than the Glock 19 and can be had for a hundered bucks cheaper. Plus, it has a manual safety if that is your thing.
Old March 5, 2009, 04:24 AM   #59
NWCP

Save up a little more money and buy a used HK USP. I own 6 HK pistols and have never had a failure. I've always appreciated quality weapons and am willing to spend a little extra when it comes to something my life might depend on someday.
Old March 5, 2009, 08:30 AM   #60
1Gunguy

Go with the P-95, never had a failure in mine.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:43 AM   #61
Distortion

Check out the Best Nines site.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:52 PM   #62
gruntrus

I had a Ruger in .45, the P90 IIRC, but you're after a 9mm.... Before I started buying my own pistols I shot a lot of the weapons one of my uncles has. Lots of pistols. I did not know squat about brands or models or calibers. There was one that stood out for my shooting preference and that was his Italian Beretta 92, stainless. I really loved the look of his HK .45 USP, but man, that 92 just felt and shot right for me. A few years later I finally found one that looked like a factory refurb. in what they call a 92D Centurion, Italian made 9mm, for $275. I have never reached for my wallet so fast w/o a squeak of haggling. There were two of them there, identical, and I should have bought them both. A LEO friend explained the Italians' Beretta production at the factory as having already smoothed out the action, as a gunsmith might do for any other, after you've bought it. You've gotta shoot 'em and see how they feel in your hands. Got a friend with a large pistol safe who'll let you shoot theirs?
Old March 9, 2009, 02:01 AM   #63
Chesster

I have bought used G19s, Sig 226 and 228s, Beretta 92FS, and CZ 85/75s, all for less than 450. Seek and ye shall find. You just may have to seek a little longer these days.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 9, 2009, 08:25 AM   #64
Chui

Quote:
Not asking for the "best gun". I am asking for something that fits what i am looking for. If i get 15 answers, then that gives me 15 things to research.
Only YOU can answer it...

M&P9
Glock 17 or 19
Old March 10, 2009, 07:20 PM   #65
john11139

SDJ: above. I went to the webb site, seen they had the CZ82 for about $200 Went to my local gun dealer today after your suggestion. They had the CZ82 for $219. With extra clip, holster, cleaning rod. I bought one for a second gun. Its a 9mm but not the 9mm luger. Shells might a little harder to get and cost more. But not a bad gun and I am a lefty so I needed the amidextrous safety, which is hard to find. Nice trigger pull, good feel.
Old March 10, 2009, 08:17 PM   #66
bangbangshootshoot

I go with tac_driver's suggestion, head to your local shooting range & try out as many as you can afford to. That's how I made my decision; (actually decisions...) Have fun!
Old March 11, 2009, 12:18 AM   #67
usda

What's wrong with 2nd generation?

I have a Rugar P-85, big, 15 round mags, reasonably accurate...be careful of the decocker, otherwise...mine fired probably less than a hundred rounds when purchased for $249 in box with instruction booklet and extra mag. A great almost steel gun...barrel and other critical parts and high density aluminan frame. Fires the hottest rounds without a hickup.

Or a 2nd generation 459, mine the 659 in SS...S&W, built like the Queen Mary, 14 round mags, have 4...and wonderfully functional. New barrel installed and it will kick ass. These guns can be had relatively cheap...and like many guns, used little and set in a bedside drawer for 20 years.

Why pay more for latest models that tell you what you should know anyway...is there a round chambered etc? The Smith is all steel and heavy, not a compact, but the payback is firing them, they pass on none of the recoil with 9mm, even with P+P and hold their firing point exactly. No need to require the target...because the aim never loses it unless you jerk, not because of recoil but because...you just might be a 'jerk.'

Seriously, expand your horizons, guns are not hair-doos or hem lines of women skirts. Good, well built guns last practically forever...the general gun buying public, puts very few rounds through a gun per year or even decade. Many great deals on 2nd and even Ist generation 9 mms.
Old March 11, 2009, 08:59 AM   #68
Mello2u

Quote:
Jmcdowel

Best gun for the money
I have asked a few times now, but never really got a clear answer.

This is what i am looking at and what i can spend:

$450 total (less would be better ). 9mm with at least a 4" barrel. Steel. Good lighter trigger. 12+ mag. Doesnt weight 4 lbs.

With all of that, can anyone come up with a handgun for me?
The Ruger P89T has only a 10 round capacity does not meet his 12+ mag requirement.
The Ruger P95 has a barrel length of 3.9"; does not meet his requirement of at least a 4" barrel.
Other than price which is dependent upon what can be found, the Ruger P85 fits the requirements; and the Ruger SR9 fits the requirements (suggested retail $565).
" Frederic Bastiat
Old March 11, 2009, 06:54 PM   #69
TBT

For me, right now, the M&P9 with the magazine rebate.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:41 PM   #70
varoadking

Quote:
...there really isnt a better made pistol on the market than Ruger...
This affirmation has left me somewhat speachless...
Old April 6, 2009, 11:23 PM   #71
Catfishman

For $550 you can have one of the best guns ever made. A Glock 20 or 21. Look around a little and you can probably find either for less than $450 used. If ammo cost is a consideration get a glock 17. They are even cheaper. Not cheap enough or consealable enough? Get a Kel-Tec.

All of these are simple, fairly cheap, fairly ugly guns.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:28 PM   #72
chasekerion4

+1 on the P95 (unless the .1 inch less than 4" barrel is a deal breaker.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:17 AM   #73
_W_

Definitely a Hi-Point...definately.
Old April 8, 2009, 05:18 PM   #74
squidbilly

$160 got me a Hi-Point JHP .45 I know no one seems to like them, however 50ft and I had a group the size of a head my first time out. Never a missfire or a bad feed or a pour ejection. Im X Navy and I have used Beretta, Glock, Sig, H&K, Springfield, and quite a few 1911's I love them all. Hi-Point is big, ugly and kinda heavy, it does however go BOOM everytime and exceptionally close to where I want it.
JMO
If your a gun snob dont waste your time with poor taste comments, I know firearms rather well, and qualified expert marksman in both short and long arms while in the Navy. I dont know everything but I do know what works.
Old April 8, 2009, 08:10 PM   #75
ssilicon

Quote:
I believe he said steel so why keep suggesting Glock. Do they make a steel gun now?
Because Glock fanboys only know how to say and think one thing.

Hey, what steel gun do you suggest?

GFB: Glock!

Hey, what kind of rims work good on this SUV?

Hey, what should be the last topping we choose for the pizza?