The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Sargeny1

HELP..!!! Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Dis-assembly and Re-assembly.......

Hi All...Recently, I acquired a VERY nice Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 30/06...it does not show much shooting..just a few MINOR normal storage marks on the stock...VERY minor....It has got to be an EARLY one built right after WW2...the serial # is 5 digits..!!!! #651xx..ALSO, the barrel is stamped "30 GOV'T 06"..!!! It is in REALLY beautiful shape...BUT..it REALLY needs a thorough cleaning INSIDE....I managed to dismount it down to all its major parts...even got the STEEL buttplate off...the bolt is giving me fits...I managed to remove the striker assembly to clean the inside of the bolt.....NOW..how do I get the extractor off the bolt..??? and how to I dis-assemble the the whole striker assembly..???? Is there a manual that shows how to do this..??? Any help would be appreciated...THIS Model 70 is just BEGGING to be cleaned up..I don't think is has been detail cleaned since it left the factory in....1946...??? 1947..????
Thaks to all..
Pete
Old January 17, 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

To remove the extractor, turn it until it is on the bottom of the bolt, then push down on the thin part toward the rear to raise the front, and push it forward. I strongly recommend that you NOT remove the extractor collar or it may never go back in right again.

To disassemble the firing pin assembly - with the firing pin out of the bolt, pull back on the firing pin sleeve and turn it 1/4 turn in either direction. Keep control of the sleeve and spring as the spring comes free. (A later version uses a "U" washer for the same purpose, so you might find that instead of the firing pin sleeve.)

To remove the firing pin from the bolt sleeve, you need to have the safety in the off position and then unscrew the firing pin stop screw, a long screw that goes through the bolt sleeve. With that out, you can pull the firing pin and cocking piece out to the rear.

Jim