The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 15, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1
onthejon55

Hiding Your Guns

Lets say hypothetically that the new AWB gets passed and this time the guns you legally own now must be turned over. wat are you going to do? turn them over or hide them? If you do hide them where and how are you going to do it?
Old January 15, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
IROCZ

What guns? Don't own any.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:03 AM   #3
csmsss

Well, I've thought about this. Think PVC pipe...filled with firearms and motor oil. Think capping off both ends and sealing with PVC solvent. Think wrapping with chains and throwing into a body of water in a place that only you know about and have access to. Someplace no one would think to run a metal detector over.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:08 AM   #4
hillbillyshooter

I saw a post on TheHighRoad that linked to and article about a fella that buried a Mini14 before the Clinton ban. He got PVC tubes, caps, and glue. He disassembled the gun and coated all metal with rust resistant compound very liberally. Then he wrapped pieces seperately with thick plastic. I think he also vacuum sealed it. He placed it all in a tube and sealed it packages of gun oil, ammo, mags, and other cleaning tools. He dug it up 12 years later and the gun was in the same condition in which it was buried. Seems like quite a few silicon packets couldn't hurt.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5
KnightZero

Well, you see, I went fishing last week. Overboard. The entire lot of them. Lost my waterproof safe as well.

Lets cross our fingers and hope it never comes to this. I like being a law abiding gun owner.
Old January 16, 2009, 01:43 AM   #6
evan1293

Quote:
Lets cross our fingers and hope it never comes to this. I like being a law abiding gun owner.
Exactly. I hate the idea of breaking the law but I feel even more uncomfortable surrending my means of personal defense to the government.
Old January 16, 2009, 02:03 AM   #7
RedneckFur

If you feel like its time to bury your guns, its too late. Because if its time to bury your guns, its also time to dig them up and actually use them to protect your rights.

Burying your guns is the same as turning them in. You're still unarmed, either way.
Old January 16, 2009, 02:04 AM   #8
grumpycoconut

The first thing you do is buy a Mosin-Nagant. Then you toss it into the bottom of a Ukranian out house(very few JBTs like digging around in out houses). Next you sprinkle a case or two of ammo around a Ukranian farmer's field. Finally you wait for the Germans to invade again. When they do invade again you climb down into the bottom of the out house, dig out your Mosin, walk around the field picking up ammo and shoot at any Germans that deserve it.

Admitedly this might not work quite so well with a modern high tech EBR but a Kalashnikov may do ok.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old January 16, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9
donkee

Quote:
If you feel like its time to bury your guns, its too late. Because if its time to bury your guns, its also time to dig them up and actually use them to protect your rights.

Burying your guns is the same as turning them in. You're still unarmed, either way.
+1
Old January 16, 2009, 08:01 PM   #10
troy_mclure

ibtl.

and i lost all my guns in an unfortunate boating accident.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 16, 2009, 08:24 PM   #11
driftz240

yeahhh, a phrase from a movie comes to mind
YOU CAN HAVE MY GUNS WHEN YOU PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.
Old January 16, 2009, 08:31 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Quote:
That's true if you bury all of them. Hiding one or two is more a form of insurance.
Old January 16, 2009, 08:37 PM   #13
Dresden2001

What a waste of ink and space. I'd suggest that you would be better off spending your time, reading up and writing your local representative in Congress to let them know that you are a law abiding gun owner and you expect them to vote your interests.

All this what if crap is just mental masturbation. May make you feel good, but has no effect on anyone else.

Sheeesh. Get a life and live it.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:28 PM   #14
#18indycolts

hey mods, lets close this one...really.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:27 AM   #15
El Paso Joe

Civil Disobedience

Lets say that it does happen. And they outlaw free gatherings. Especially of advocates of the RKBA. And they ban the publishing of Shooting Times. Etc. The absolute most courageous thing to do is to say NO! Thats what Rosa Parks did on the busses in AL. She knew she was going to be arrested, charged and tried. She is an American hero. She and many others when their rights under the constitution of my (beloved) country were violated. And they won...

In my (not so) humble opinion, the thing to do is not to bury the guns but to keep them even if you know it will mean you will go to jail. Your family will lose their house and home. And here's the rub - Molon Labe will break other laws that don't have the same tracability to the Bill of rights and can ruin a bunch of years for you. Unless the attorny for the state overlooks someone who supports the constitution and believes in the power of jury nullification (where the jury says "I dont care what the law says - I believe the law is wrong and I will not vote to convict.

Last edited by El Paso Joe; January 17, 2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: words... just words...
Old January 18, 2009, 12:08 AM   #16
BuckHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden2001
What a waste of ink and space. I'd suggest that you would be better off spending your time, reading up and writing your local representative in Congress to let them know that you are a law abiding gun owner and you expect them to vote your interests.

All this what if crap is just mental masturbation. May make you feel good, but has no effect on anyone else.

Amazing that someone can manage to contribute nothing to a thread, but do so in such spectacular fashion.

Basically, the question is how to keep hidden firearms preserved, with a little justification for the question. I mean, those in power want a new and permanent AWB. So the scenario given by the OP is not too far-fetched. They are already in power, it's a little late to change things at the polls. The bailout is evidence enough that the opinion of constituents really does nothing to influence the votes of representatives and senators.

To the OP:
I would get some of those vacuum seal bags and use those in conjunction with a liberal amount of oil. Put all of that in a sealed PVC tube full of some kind of oil. Good luck, hope you don't need this advice.
Old January 18, 2009, 03:52 AM   #17
euthan

burying

a 3micron pvc sheet bag and an airtight knot/seal. works well with ak variants. rest are not meant to be buried and re-used
Old January 19, 2009, 03:34 PM   #18
45Marlin carbine

when/if you bury a firerarm bury deep end up and scatter spent primers from reloading all over the place - no metal detector can scan through 'trash' like that.
a graveyard is a good place to bury a SHTF gun and ammo for it.
Old January 19, 2009, 03:39 PM   #19
JohnSmiles

A precaution

Hiding SOME of your guns is a very wise move in my book.
Most of us work, and have families at home.
If they come knocking, who says it will be you at the door?
NOT hiding a couple of guns could be the biggest mistake you ever made.
Its not like this is going to happen slowly.
When it comes, keep in mind this has been prepared for over many years now.
Its not like they will start in DC and work their way west.
Giving you time to assemble a real resistance force isn't in the plans.

So, take whatever guns you will most likely need should the shtf, and bury them.
No reason to bury them all, but there is a very valid reason for NOT keeping all your eggs in one basket fellaz.
Its called a backup.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:44 AM   #20
mpage

Quote:

Quoted for truth.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:40 AM   #21
540mope

Quote:

Gun owners (?) acting as lofty pretentious pseudo-intellectuals haven't done much to help our cause.
You can write to your congressman that already sides with gun owners all you want. It will accomplish nothing.
What can and/or will you do to convince the congressmen that represent the other side??? NOTHING. They are convinced that even you haven't the intellect to understand why they are taking your guns from you.
Common sense and reading between the lines tells us that some of the jackasses that we elect would like nothing more than to have TOTAL power. Dissenters without arms gives them total power.
I'll do what i can to keep what i have, if that means I have to lie and hide things, I will
Old January 20, 2009, 01:41 PM   #22
onthejon55

Quote:
Most of us are smart enough to do that already. This post isnt about what should be done to if they threaten to take the guns but if the decision to take them has already been made.

Quote:
.All this what if crap is just mental masturbation. May make you feel good, but has no effect on anyone else.
Im sorry that reading new and informative information regarding the preservation of the Right to Bear Arms doenst excite you but theres no reason to rain on my parade because of it. I also would not compare this thread to masterbation. That's odd.

Quote:
I have a life. A very nice one. I live it on a daily basis.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:15 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh dear - since I seem to be the one on duty now - my duty is to lock this.

1. Suggesting burying guns and revolution against hypothetical Doomsday laws is so old.
2. When we start bickering about self-abuse - Geez.

I'd suggest one searching in 1994 for PVC threads.