The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2009, 01:07 AM   #1
ddeyo1

Stoeger coach gun

a couple years ago i looked at stoeger side by sides and i wasnt really impressed with theyre selection. Plus the guns they had at the time werent very versatile. (they did have the uplander back then but it was only offered with an english stock and i just dont like how they feel) Anyway i took a look at theyre site again tooday and i was rather impressed at how much they have expanded theyre line. I was looking at getting a coach gun supreme now that theyre offered with screw in chokes. It seems like a nice short light gun that would be easy to carry through the brush chasing grouse or woodcock. From what i can see on the website it looks like they have a pretty good product. Wondering if anyone has any input on the quality/functionality of the gun.
Thanks
Old January 2, 2009, 02:41 PM   #2
BigJimP

Stoeger is a serviceable gun ( they are part of the Beretta / Benelli family ) - but in general, I think its fair to say they are designed and built to be the lower end of the price spectrum for Beretta / Benelli - and will probably not hold up or last as long as guns from their sister divisions.

I think most of them are made in Brazil / but some may be coming in from Turkey as well - and neither country is known for it's workmanship in shotguns.

I see a few Stoeger's around / if you're not putting 500 shells a month thru it I think they'll give you a reasonable life. I do not think a Stoeger will stand up to long term target gun usage of 10,000 shells a year.

In Over Unders or SXS's you really get what you pay for - and with entry level guns from Beretta and Browning in the $ 1,750 area price range / you have to be a little suspicious of anything selling for much less. Beretta and Browning have proven over time, even their entry level guns, will hold up under heavy usage for many many years. But if it fits your budget / and it won't be getting heavy usage - you might want to a chance on it.
Old January 2, 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
45Marlin carbine

I have a Stoeger Coach in 12ga mag that I bought in '92, it does fine, but I had to iron out a couple minor issues. handles and shoots good.
Old January 2, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
ddeyo1

im not really looking for a gun to shoot 500 times a month. With most of my money going towards college im just looking for a cheap, light, short gun that i can grab on my way into the brush.
Old January 2, 2009, 04:59 PM   #5
BigJimP

Ok, so you don't really want a long term "target" gun / but the question still is - if the gun only last 4 or 5 years, is that ok ? What will the gun be valued at used - after 4 or 5 years / or is it a "throw-away" ? What does the Stoeger cost vs a good serviceable pump gun or semi-auto / or a good used gun / that will also accomplish what you need it to do ?

Those are all factors too that I'd recommend you consider.

I'm not saying yes or no / but I can tell you I wasted some money on shotguns and handguns that turned out to be losers, even in the short term, when I might have better off saving my money and buying what I really wanted down the road / or something used / vs chasing something shiny that got my attention in the short term.

But you're the only one that can decide based on your budget - and what you want to do or expect long term out of your shotguns. In fact some of the fanciest guns I own - were bought used - where guys had them custom made, custom stocked - whatever, and then sold them because they didn't fit, got bored, etc. They were great buys for me.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
fxdrider

ddeyo1, I have a Stoeger Uplander, which is essentially the Coach Gun with longer barrels. I have the 26" 12 & 20 gauge combo, and I used the 12 gauge barrel set to put away my first turkey a couple of weeks ago. It also has a field-grade(not high gloss) non-English, curved grip stock, which feels much better to me than the English-style stock. I just enjoy the heck out of this shotgun! I can't speak to the longevity of the gun, since I got it for father's Day in 2008 and haven't had it for a very long time. I will say that it seems to me to be a well-made, robust gun. I can't imagine it getting damaged if used normally and not abused. Obviously, anything CAN happen, but it just seems to be a very solid gun.
I think that for the purposes you stated, the coach gun should be more than adequate. Good luck with your decision.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Rich Miranda

I found this topic by doing a search. I searched because I just looked at a Stoeger coach gun (blued) today and wanted to see what y'all thought of it.

I am a shotgun novice, but to me the Stoeger looks very basic, almost 'rough'. However, it is sturdily made and substantial where it seems it would need to be (at the hinge in the break, etc.). For $369 I don't think it's a bad deal at all. I was considering it for a behind-the-kitchen-door gun. I didn't buy it but I am considering a polished one.
Old January 8, 2009, 06:32 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I know a guy who shoots trap with one. It looks like ****(at least compared to all the other trap guns). It takes twice the force to close it as a beretta or browning. He breaks clays with it and it hasn't exploded. I think he has been shooting it for a few years.
Old January 15, 2009, 12:55 PM   #9
liftkilt

I have had a Stoeger 20ga coach gun for almost ten years and it is an great turkey gun. I can weave in and out of the trees to get to my blind and it pulls up great. I like them so much I am looking into an uplander. My only complaint is that I can't just pop an uplander barrel on the coachgun. Oh well. If everything were perfect what could we complain about.