The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
daywalker627

Brass Conversions

I have seen on the web where someone had asked a rabbi about taking a 30-06 brass and cutting it then trimming to size of a .45 acp. Has anyone here heard of this or even went further and have done this? From my understanding, after using hacksaw and cutting the brass then trimming it to size, nothing else except chamfer and deburring is needed. They also say you still have to use the large pistol primer. Would be intresting to find out if this practice is used.

Thanks
Old December 25, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
rn22723

Not quite that simple, you would have to ream the case to accept the bullet.
There are much better uses of my time then to cut down 06 brass to make 45ACP brass.

The 44 Auto Mag was made in such a way till brass was made in that cartridge.
Old December 25, 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
jsflagstad

So what is the benefit of making 45 acp from 3006?

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 25, 2008, 03:48 PM   #4
dmickey

Nothing! I believe it's called "much ado about nothing!"
Old December 25, 2008, 05:42 PM   #5
kraigwy

Anything is possible if not practical. You can do it, get a trim die, cut it off, put it in a case trimmer for the finish cut. Then you need a reamer for the inside of the case, the web is too thick on ''06 cases. Its time consuming, and a pain in the butt.. I did it making .41 Datonics cases. I have a reamer for the Datonics but its a bit too big for the ACP.

The question is, since 45 brass is so much cheaper the '06 brass is WHY.

If the answer to save money, YOU WONT. If the answer is just to see if you can do it I'd say GO FOR IT.

I could write a book on the crap I've done or tried to do, things that made no sinse what so ever, I mean some really dumb ideals, but I've enjoyed every minute of it.

PS: When you're through with that project try making your own reloading dies, or whats more fun, cast bullet molds.

Don't ever stop experimenting, but do be careful, Nothing says safty like a Lead Sled and a long string.

If people were a afraid to try stuff, we'd still be throwing rocks.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 26, 2008, 11:28 AM   #6
daywalker627

The reason for my asking is information and education. I am all new to reloading so when I find the chance to learn something new, I will ask questions on it. As far as why would I want to convert 06 to 45 acp, well, I can find tons of 06 cases at ranges and in the national forest when hunting. I do not have an 06 rifle. I have a 270. I was looking at if I were to stock pile the 06 and ever have a moment to where in the unlikely event that I run out of 45 acp and I am in a pinch, then this would be like a last ditch effort to load some 45's. I understand all of the too time consuming and so on. I would love to find a book on all brass converstions and such. I appreciate everyone's response. It does help me out.
Old December 26, 2008, 11:49 AM   #7
okiefarmer

If you are finding all kinds of brass at the range and the forest floor, you better check first to see if it is boxer brass or Berdan. That presents an entire nuther level of difficulty in reloading if one is not set up for it. Most shooters pick up their boxer brass and leave their berdan stuff lay for others to pick up. If you have a .270, why not convert the '06 brass to shoot in your rifle. That is a much easier task, and just involves necking down a bit. Not a hard job to do even for the most inexperienced.

If I were in possession of that much '06 brass, and it was boxer, you could likely exchange it for 45 ACP brass, which is still very easy to find, for at least a 2 to 1 exchange, and maybe even 3 to 1. ACP brass can still be had for a nickel very easily. Stock up now.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8
daywalker627

I always check the brass to make sure they are reloadable. I am not running short on any brass by no means. This thread was basically for education purposes for myself. I am just running diffrent scenarios in my head such as what if I ran out of this and I had this then could this work for this and so forth. I knew that 06 could be formed for 270. I knew that you could form one rifle to another. I had no idea that a person could form a rifle to a pistol and found it interesting. I always check for boxer primer pockets and make sure the brass at first glance does not look spit and so forth. Then after polishing using calipers and inspection to make sure I can use unknown brass. I believe one can not get too much information. I really do appreciate your reply. Take care.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Scorch

Short answer, yes it can be done. The process is cut to length in a trim die, neck ream, finish trim, then develop load data since the book data will not be appicable to your cases. As pointed out repeatedly above, it would be exceedingly time consuming and not worth the effort, since 45 ACP brass is about as common a case as you can find. The same process can be used to make all sorts of brass cases for obsolete cartridges, if you have the form/trim/load dies available.
Old December 26, 2008, 06:36 PM   #10
Gewehr98

Short answer?

Quote:
So what is the benefit of making 45 acp from 3006?
None. You'd have to inside turn it just to seat a proper .451-.452" bullet.

Now, if you're just making .45 ACP shotshells, that's a different story.

Neural Misfires
Old December 29, 2008, 03:04 PM   #11
jjohnson

Sure.

Yep, it can be done. The "primer end" of a 30-06 (.308, 7mm-08, and a host of others) is the same as the 45 ACP. It's a pain, and certainly not cost effective, but it can be done.

This is the sort of thing you'd resort to if there were, oh, say, an AMMUNITION BAN :barf: or something like that going on. This rates way up there, just short of swaging empty 22 brass around a lead core to make jacketed .224 bullets. That sort of thing was done by enterprising shooters during the Depression and WWII, when components were both expensive and scarce.

It could never happen here.

Could it?
Old December 29, 2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Crosshair

Sell the 30-06 brass, buy 45 ACP brass.
Old December 30, 2008, 01:59 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

One thing that was missed here.....

Large Pistol primers and primer pockets are shorter than their Large Rifle counter-parts. Seating a large pistol primer in a large rifle pocket leads to a recessed primer. Some pistols would probably have trouble detonating the primers.
On the flip side- Using a large rifle primer in a cut down '06 / .45 Auto, would cause a noticeable increase in pressure, due to the lower case volume. That is.... IF your firing pin could get past the thicker (harder) primer cup on the LR primer.