The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 23, 2008, 08:10 PM   #1
troy_mclure

do you ccw fmj?

i was out shooting some blazer brass 180gr .40S&W from my xd40 sub.
i was shooting into an old coal ash bucket full of ice.
the bucket was 1/16" thick and the ice was about 18".

the bullets penetrated 4-6 inches into the ice with zero expansion/fragmentation.

here are 3 i dug out of the ice.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 23, 2008, 08:16 PM   #2
KUHIO

To answer your question, No I don't load any FMJ's in my carry weapons. On a side note, what results were you expecting from the FMJ Blazer's? The picture you've shown is typical of their behavior
Old December 23, 2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've been considering going with JHP for round 1 followed by a couple FMJ then more JHP. Haven't decided yet.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:37 PM   #4
hoytinak

Quote:
do you ccw fmj?
Only when I carry the .32 Beretta Tomcat all the others get JHPs.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:49 PM   #5
guntotinguy

I use JHP's..sometimes frangables in my P94 or my XD 40...but mostly JHP.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Keltyke

Quote:
I've been considering going with JHP for round 1 followed by a couple FMJ then more JHP. Haven't decided yet.
If I get in a gunfight, I don't need to be wondering which round is coming next. I want all to perform equally. I carry all Corbon DPX in my .40 CCW.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Gunpowder&Lead

FMJ's are for training or for armored targets

The principle behind JHP ammo is that the bullets, having a soft lead tip and a hollow nose, will enter the body of the target and slow down once inside, expanding and creating a greater wound cavity. Thus, it has a greater stopping power, meaning it is able to disable a target with fewer hits (provided he is not heavily armored) than standard Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) bullets (though FMJ is better for armored targets). JHP bullets usually do not exit a target's body after impact (and do not create exit wounds:barf
Old December 23, 2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Jay1958

In 9mm and .380ACP, I always carry JHP ammo. In my NAA Guardian 32ACP, I load the chamber with a JHP round and then load the mag with FMJ. This is for two reasons: 1. prevent rimlock, which is a problem specific to 32ACP ammo 2. penetration - the FMJ should get more penetration than the JHP rounds, theoretically. I say theoretically because I'm not sure the 32ACP JHP rounds have enough velocity out of the muzzle to expand much...?
Old December 23, 2008, 10:56 PM   #9
troy_mclure

ive shot quite a few diferent fmj rounds, most fragment in ice.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 24, 2008, 02:43 AM   #10
omkhan

I do, thats the only round readily available round here. Last I checked for a 9mm HP, its cost was around 1.2$ Per round.
Old December 24, 2008, 02:49 AM   #11
B. Lahey

You planning on hunting snowmen?

Frosty better watch his keister...
Old December 24, 2008, 08:17 AM   #12
The Great Mahoo

Sure, I'll use FMJ ammo. I generally prefer JHP, but I feel confident carrying FMJ's in my .45. In my .357, its SWC's, again preferably HP.
Old December 24, 2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Raytracer

FWIW, I CCW JHP and FMJ. JHP in my .45 ACP and FMJ in my LCP.

TTYL,
JOE
Old December 24, 2008, 09:50 AM   #14
xd.40

I Personaly carry Federal HST in my .40. But with that being said, I would not want to get shot with any type of bullet. So if all you can afford is FMJ's, then so be it, use them. It's better than nothing at all.

As always, Stay Safe.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:09 AM   #15
JasonG

Nope
Guess I'm too scared of over penetration.
JHP is the only way to go IMHO
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old December 24, 2008, 03:22 PM   #16
Deet

In the 70's yes I did quite alot, today no I use JHP or SWC.
Old December 24, 2008, 07:14 PM   #17
FireForged

When I carry a semi-auto, I always use FMJ. I know that I am in the minority on this but its what i think works best for me.
Old December 24, 2008, 07:19 PM   #18
mikef

I carry the Corbon DPX in my XD40 and my PM9. Am looking into the Hornady Critical Defense Ammo once I've read some reviews on it.
Old December 24, 2008, 08:00 PM   #19
VHinch

No, but my wife does. All she will carry is a .32 Beretta Tomcat, so it stays loaded with FMJ.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:47 PM   #20
TacticalDefense1911

I'd only carry fmj if it was the only thing that feed through my gun reliably; and if that was the case I would probably get rid of it and get something that worked properly for self defense. They make hp's for a reason.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:27 PM   #21
Deaf Smith

Massad Ayoob just wrote an article in Combat Handguns. He said in the article in New Jersey you can keep hollow point ammo in the house but for CCW carry you cannot! Thus in NJ it's either soft point or FMJ for CCW.

If I was to go that route, it would either be with .40 S&W truncated cone FMJ or .45 ACP truncated cone. And even then I'd try, if I could, to get some kind of safe backstop for the BG I had to shoot!
Old December 24, 2008, 11:29 PM   #22
garryc

I have no problem carrying hard ball in a 45. In lesser calibers I question it more and more as the caliber gets smaller. A 45 230 grain FMJ has done many a bad guy in quickly.
Old December 25, 2008, 01:38 AM   #23
JohnH1963

Ayoob didnt tell you one thing about concealed carry in New Jersey.

In order to get a permit, you must apply at the local police department. The local police chief needs to recommend you for the CCW. Whether you get the recommendation or not, then the next step is in front of a judge with the local prosecutor playing devil's advocate against you. The judge will then determine if you get the permit. You must have documented evidence of an urgent need.

In the last 50 or so years, maybe 20-30 CCW permits have ever been issued to private citizens. Most people who try to get a CCW permit get rejected. Actually, if you go into any NJ police department they will usually stonewall, run you around or talk you out of it. The chief of any department will almost never recommend you for the permit.

Now lets say you are able to secure the ccw permit somehow. The judge will usually slap some type of restriction on it such as hours to carry, geography, etc.

In NJ, just to buy a pistol you need to get the local police department's blessing. This is much easier then getting the CCW permit. The process is that you fill out a long application. The application then goes to the department's detectives. The detectives then go out to your home, question your neighbors, the people at your work and everyone living in your home. If anyone says anything bad about you or the detectives are the slightest bit uncomfortable, you dont get a permit to buy. The process to get a permit to buy usually takes 3-6 months. This all depends upon the police department you apply at. Some will be much easier then others. If the police department denies you the permit, then you can always go in front of the friendly superior court judge. Again, some departments might claim to lose the paperwork which is a standard practice. You call up 3 months later to find they lost the paperwork. Then you fill out new paperwork and wait another 3-6 months.

Owning a weapon in NJ is hard.

Obtaining a CCW is almost impossible.
Old December 25, 2008, 01:52 AM   #24
troy_mclure

then why live there?

if such an important part of my life was made so difficult i would just take my tax dollars else where.
Old December 25, 2008, 01:55 AM   #25
JohnH1963

Dont forget this paragraph which basically states that in New Jersey you need to give up your wallet to anyone who asks. So even if you have a CCW permit, then you still cant use deadly force in most situations...

(2)The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

(a)The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b)The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i)The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor; and

(ii)A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.