The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 20, 2008, 01:35 PM   #1
44Magnum

Uberti & Cimarron

Am I correct here? Uberti is made by Baretta and Uberti supplies the revolvers for Cimarron. Therefore, would it be safe to assume that Uberti and Cimarron will be of similar quality? Does Cimarron do anything special?
Old November 20, 2008, 02:12 PM   #2
mavracer

Uberti is owned by beretta.beretta stampedes are made by Uberti for its parent co. Cimarrons are mad by Uberti to Cimarrons specs wich include correct patent dates,caliber designation and the installation of wolff springs throughout.they are also inspected by a smith in TX before they are shipped.

IMHO Cimarrons are the best of the imported Ubertis with the possible exception of the Berettas
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 20, 2008, 04:46 PM   #3
44Magnum

Thanks, that's what I thought. I've got a predicament because I don't want to purchase without inspection, but the local shop only has Uberti.
Old November 20, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Tom2

Ubertis have a good rep as a gun maker if the price is right. IF you want the nicer Cimarron and it can be ordered for close to the same price, you might compare them closely.
Old November 20, 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Musketeer

I am pleased with all aspects of my Uberti and think you should have no problems. Uberti also made for other companies who had lower standards than Uberti, Berretta or Cimarron. Ubertis made with the the name of any of those three will be fine.

Cimarron pushes for some other models not normally released by Uberti also.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old November 21, 2008, 01:17 AM   #6
gak

Another for-instance: I believe Cimarron is the only current way to get a .44 Special Uberti - though Taylor's may still "make" them also. EMF's Hartford (Uberti again) did carry the caliber, but I heard (directly from EMF) several months ago that they no longer will (be able to) carry the regular Uberti line-up---that supposedly being relegated to Stoeger. EMF does still list an "Artillery" (replica of the Colt SAA Artillery)--that I believe is Uberti-made....so who knows. Also, how that Stoeger situation places Cimarron as a distributor in the mix - whether Cim' was able to negotiate to still carry, etc. -- now I don't know, but Cimarron still lists all their Uberti-made single actions, etc. (their standard model known as Model P).

Back to differences, in other words, "Uberti" (and Beretta) branded Ubertis do not offer the .44S and some of the other classic cowboy rounds--such as .38-40, .32-20, etc., but Cimarron does. The way I've always looked at it, you can find Cimarrons in the caliber you want - in the same finish (blued/case hardened for example) for about the same price...so going that route is probably the safest. Otherwise, in reality, mechanically (and 95% cosmetically) they're virtually the same gun.
Old November 21, 2008, 04:21 PM   #7
44Magnum

I was actually able to find a shop locally that carried some Cimarron products. I was actually shocked at the price. I didn't realize how inexpensive these replicas are. Now I know why they are so much more popular than Colts. The fit and finish wasn't Colt, but it wasn't bad either - and 1/3 the price.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:23 PM   #8
CraigC

Quote:
Uberti is owned by beretta.beretta stampedes are made by Uberti for its parent co. Cimarrons are mad by Uberti to Cimarrons specs wich include correct patent dates,caliber designation and the installation of wolff springs throughout.they are also inspected by a smith in TX before they are shipped.

IMHO Cimarrons are the best of the imported Ubertis with the possible exception of the Berettas
Exactly! I've been really impressed with my Cimarron's as well as their customer service. However, Uberti's are getting better all the time and is currently producing a great sixgun for the money.

Uberti-made SAA's in .44Spl can also be had from Dixie Gun Works. I bought a 4¾" Bisley .44Spl from their shop a couple months ago.

IMHO, Colt does not have a huge fit/finish advantage over the Italian replicas. Their case colors are better but the other differences are not vast. Not enough to justify the great price gap. I've had to spend much more time smoothing out Colt's than Uberti's, especially those from Cimarron. USFA is far superior in every way and is a much better value if you actually plan on shooting your SAA.
Old November 26, 2008, 09:50 AM   #9
chriske

Cimarron & Wolff ?

I own a Uberti .45 Colt SA. It is called the "1873 Cattleman" model and says "CIMARRON" on the barrel.

After less than 500 rounds of slow deliberate shooting Winchester factory ammo, 2 of the springs broke one after the other. (trigger spring & the spring behind the hand (or pawl) (or whatever) (the part that makes the cylinder turn 1/6th).
Wolff springs ???

The barrel seems about .452 all right, but .454 bullets fall clean through the cylinder chambers without touching the sides of the chamber mouths. Big fun trying to find matching bullets to load with.
Exacting tolerances ???

Knowing Uberti makes them, I don't even trust Beretta SA's anymore now.
Old November 26, 2008, 12:37 PM   #10
gak

Nothing but good luck with my Uberti-Cimarron Model P .44 Special.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:45 PM   #11
CraigC

Oversized chamber mouths have received a lot of press lately and people on the internet tend to worry about such things before ever even shooting the thing. Oversized mouths are not a guarantee of poor accuracy. My Colt New Frontier .45Colt measures .457" and it'll pile a .452" 250gr RNFP over 9.0gr Unique into tiny 1" clusters at 25yds. Just shoot it!
Old November 29, 2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Gun 4 Fun

I'm sure someone will tell me I was misinformed but here goes, My wife and I were at Williams Gunsight, and a man working there who has been there for 21 years and is one of their top people, told me while I was looking at a new Colt SAA, that he had just recently found out that Colt frames are also made by Uberti to Colt's specs. and finished off by Colt in their plant. I told him I was suprised and he said he was too. He also said he liked the Cimmaron guns as well or better than the Colts, and preferred USFA guns to all others.
Anyone got any info on this? This guy is one of the buyers at Williams, so I would think he would know.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:39 AM   #13
gak

Quote:
I'm sure someone will tell me I was misinformed but here goes, My wife and I were at Williams Gunsight, and a man working there who has been there for 21 years and is one of their top people, told me while I was looking at a new Colt SAA, that he had just recently found out that Colt frames are also made by Uberti to Colt's specs. and finished off by Colt in their plant. I told him I was suprised and he said he was too. He also said he liked the Cimmaron guns as well or better than the Colts, and preferred USFA guns to all others.
Anyone got any info on this? This guy is one of the buyers at Williams, so I would think he would know.
The USFA part is not that far-fetched--in terms of perception of quality--they're a great gun. But only recently - with their price drops, on their core "single action" piece (standard blue, case-hardened appx Colt SAA equivalent) especially, have they made a real case as an alternative to Colt (before - especially since Colt's come down a little bit over the past few years - their prices were darn close). The Colt still will hold the value better - but like a sale on Mercedes, you have to have the jingle to begin with to access that depreciation immunity. The rest is urban myth. The Uberti/Cimarron guns are nice, but they are neither USFAs or Colts.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:56 AM   #14
VonFireball

Quote:
The Uberti/Cimarron guns are nice, but they are neither USFAs or Colts.
Yeah, I should go trade my Cimarron in on a flashy new Colt.

Oh wait, they don't make them in stainless steel.
Old November 30, 2008, 11:22 AM   #15
CraigC

The myth about Uberti building Colt's is partially based in reality. Colt got into bed with Uberti with their 2nd and 3rd generation percussion pistols but Uberti has never made parts for Colt's SAA. However, in the early days of US"P"FA, most of the raw parts were sourced from Uberti while fitting and finishing was done under the blue dome. For several years now, USFA's have been 100% of domestic origin.

As realistic as I am about Colt's spotty quality of the last 30yrs, they are still typically much better than the best Italian replica. The Uberti's are just a better value. As good as Colt has gotten in the last two or three years, they still can't manage to get the chamber mouths right. For $400 less you can procure a brand new USFA that will be much better in fit and finish plus have all the correct dimensions. When you get up to the Pre-War model, you are even money on a new Colt but head and shoulders above anything produced by Colt in a very long time! There simply is no comparison. and resale is certainly debatable.