The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2008, 07:05 PM   #1
38specialman

Good Find

Came up on a good deal or so I think, on a shotgun. Found a Marlin model 19 pump 12 ga. From what I have found out, it was only made 2 years. 1906-1907. It has an external hammer like a Win. 97. The barrel is 30 in. but I don't know what the choke is. Does anyone know anything about them.
"They had a lot a guns mister, and they were shoot'n bullets," Charlie Prince, 3:10 to Yuma
AIM.......BREATH.........SQUEEZE.......REPEAT
Old November 4, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
hillbille

pretty sure they are the same as the model 17 think it was, all copies of the 97 winchester, most say they are not safe to shoot as the trigger assembly is weak and the whole assembly can fly back in your face from recoil. you will need to get it checked out by a proffesional if you do intend to shoot it. also would advise you use light loads in it. value is usually half or less of same quality winchester, at least around here.
Old November 5, 2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Do NOT shoot this.

Made for Black Powder pressures, these do not work for long with modern loads.

Shotguns and Grenades have similar working pressures.

Consider it a shotgun shaped artifact and move on....
Old November 6, 2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Joat

When I was shooting cowboy action, we called the old Marlins by the old designation: "widowmakers". They will not stand up to modern loads. There are cases where the whole bolt assembly has left the rear of the receiver striking the shooter in the face.
There is a good information page found here that has a letter from Marlin on it advising people not to shoot this (and several other) model(s).

Makes a nice fireplace decoration but that is all it should be used for (in my opinion, of course)

Joat