The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2008, 09:51 AM   #1
CorpseEater

Glued extractors

Hey guys, I read a while ago about springfield glueing their extractors in. I'd just recently gotten a loaded and decided to check myself, and mine wasn't glued. It seems to be held in place by the firing pin stop along with the firing pin.

So is this just a myth? Or do certain models have theirs glued in like GI models or Mil-spec? Maybe I'm beating a dead horse with this topic, if I am I apologize in advance.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:57 AM   #2
hockeysew

I have never heard of a "glued" extractor. Never seen one on any 1911.
I have seen some very difficult to remove ones due to lack of maintenance/rust though.
What you probably think is glue is more than likely factory maintenance oil that has hardened around it. It can make you think it is glue.
Soak it in some Kroil or similar and it should come free. You may have to flex the hook end to get it to slide out of the slide.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
CorpseEater

Oh no I had no problems getting my extractor out, I've just seen on this forum and i think the 1911 forum when people start talking about what 1911 to get someone will chime in that springfield glues their extractors, and they had to get theirs pinned. Or something along those lines.

I do appreciate the tip though . I'm just curious to see what everyone elses experiences have been with Springfield, and if anyone actually found an extractor to be glued/loctited in place.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4
45_Shooter

Wrong part: it's not the extractor, but the ejector. An ejector should pinned in place with a cross pin, however it is encapsulated by the slide and can't move unless the slide is removed. I have never seen a glued ejector, but have heard of it and specifically applied to Springfield; don't know if it's true or not but it is plausible.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:25 AM   #5
CorpseEater

Woops, I guess i got my parts that start with E mixed up.
Old September 3, 2008, 12:06 PM   #6
RsqVet

Take your slide off and look at the left side of the frame (side the slide stop is on). If you do not see a roll pin below the ejector --- it will be about 1/4 inch from the back of the gun and in the grove of the frame rail. If you don't see a pin, then you have a glue on. There was a thread here recently with pics if you need an even better description.

Bad news is glue can fail, good news is springer uses decent parts and it's not a huge task to get a smith to drill and pin the thing. If it's a defensive gun I'd definalty do this.
Old September 3, 2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
I have never seen a glued ejector, but have heard of it and specifically applied to Springfield; don't know if it's true or not but it is plausible.
Here ya go.

Glued:

Pinned:

Old September 3, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8
CorpseEater

Hrmm as far as I can tell it does indeed look glued now that I've had a good look at it (and wasnt looking at the extractor like a bonehead LOL). I'm not terribly worried about it at the moment but in the future I'd like to get it pinned. Whats a rough estimate for what a smith would charge to pin it?

Plus side is I'm getting pretty damn quick at fieldstripping my 1911.
Old September 3, 2008, 12:23 PM   #9
CorpseEater

Thanks for the pics, and might I say those are some fine looking grips you have on both your guns.
Old September 3, 2008, 02:46 PM   #10
rogertc1

I'll look at mine...My Springer GI has a pin, as does the PT1911, my Kimber, Llama, Remington, and my Norinco.
Maybe something new from Brazil to save money??
Old September 3, 2008, 02:51 PM   #11
HisSoldier

Oh get real people! There's nothing wrong with cheap manufacturing processes. Why, if John Browning had glue in 1911 he's have used it. He'd have used aluminum and plastic and probably recycled paper. Guns are actually better when manufacturers skimp on "Quality".

CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:14 PM   #12
Dobe

Why not just spit on it and stick it in there? I prefer anything that makes a more solid handgun.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:32 PM   #13
teeroux

Quote:
Why not just spit on it and stick it in there?
bubble gum
Old September 3, 2008, 06:11 PM   #14
David the Gnome

I've never heard of these parts breaking so what difference does it make how it's attached?
Old September 3, 2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Maybe something new from Brazil to save money??
It's an American made model.
Old September 3, 2008, 06:17 PM   #16
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Oh get real people! There's nothing wrong with cheap manufacturing processes. Why, if John Browning had glue in 1911 he's have used it. He'd have used aluminum and plastic and probably recycled paper. Guns are actually better when manufacturers skimp on "Quality".
Notice that hand etched serial number on the ejector? There's one on the slide and extractor too. These guns are so cheap they're hand fitted by the world renown Springfield gunsmiths.

Let me see that on your Kimber, any model.
Old September 3, 2008, 06:34 PM   #17
David the Gnome

Sorry this is way off topic but this picture brought up a question I had:

That little spot on the trigger, closest to the frame, why do 1911's do that? All of my 1911's have had a spot of discoloration/wear right in that same exact spot. Is there some sort of hole above the trigger where powder gets blown down on it during firing?
Old September 3, 2008, 08:10 PM   #18
Tom2

Well if you have a gunsmith drill and pin, be sure that he uses Colt specs to do it. Not just at random. Because presumably at some point in the future you may have to replace the ejector and if the new part is holed thru at some standard spec, if your hole and pin ain't in the right place, well then things might not line up in the end. That sorta precludes Billy Bob with a drill press in the garage and a cold beer to lube the work! What is wrong with glue though? Can't you use glue to fix broken Glocks?
Old September 3, 2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Sturmgewehre

No one outside of Springfield really knows what the substance is that they secure their ejectors with, but others have said it's like (or is) green loctite.

Getting the ejector out is easier with the Springer method than the roll pin method, and for the average hobbyist it can be done without damaging the pistol.

There are a few reports of the "glue" method causing problems, but then there are just as many reports of improperly drilled holes. There is a very-very small area between the back of the magazine well and the diconnector channel. I've seen far too many 1911's with the pin hole either cut into the mag well or the disconnector channel.

If your ejector becomes loose, put some loctite on it. Every time I clean my Springers I check the ejector tension and over the last 15 years or so I've never had a problem with any of them. If I did find one was loose, I would fix it quickly and cheaply.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:52 PM   #20
Chui

You can use a SMALL AMOUNT or blue Loctite or, more permanently, Red Loctite. Screw up and let it drip down into the inner workings of the pistol and you could have "some issues". I've had a 'smith pin two TRPs and applied red Loctite on a Loaded Springfield. I cannot recall what the Les Baer has; I assume (emphasis on "assume") it's pinned. It's been that long...

The issue I had was once I was removing the slide on the TRP to clean it and I noticed something fall to the floor. It was the ejector. The pistol ran fine but when the slide was removed it could fall. It also wiggled a bit when installed. At first I applied blue Loctite then informed my 'smith who promptly jigged, drilled and pinned it. I have heard that it's somewhat "tricky" to perform. I wouldn't know, really, as I have virtually no actual machining background.

I'd think it would be okay with a dab of red Loctite. If it still comes loose send it to a 'smith.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:59 PM   #21
Sturmgewehre

A couple of examples of ejector problems, they are common in "glued" and pinned guns all the same:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=171866

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=171687

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=175053

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=199777

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=180399

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=184968

As you can see, they occur and more often than not it's in pistols that have pinned ejectors vs. "glued". The argument that one is less troublesome than the other is not based in reality.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:19 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Waaay back when I worked for the Army

And the 1911A1 was still the issue pistol, we were taught that the ejectors were press fitted (never heard a word about glue or loctite), and that replacement ejectors were pinned. There was a special jig for drilling the hole, to ensure it would be in the right place. We also had special jigs and tools for the staking of the grip screw bushings, plunger tubed and the front sight.

I don't know how Springfield does it today, a tiny drop of (the correct) loctite couldn't hurt anything during assembly, so I suppose it is possible. Ejectors, like grip screw bushings and plunger tubes are never removed from the frame unless they are being replaced.

There are two "legs" on the ejector that fit into holes in the frame. The front leg has a notch in it, where the pin is to go through.

Commercial makers could glue in their ejectors, but when it comes to the GI guns, I will accept the word of my instructors at the USAOC&S Small Arms Repair training.