The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 22, 2008, 05:44 PM   #26
Deaf Smith

houle,

Hard to give a definate amount. If you are gifted, a few shots might be enough, if you are a klutz, even a bucket full isn't enough!

It's more of the quality of practice and not the quantity (but it's nice to have quality and quantity!)

A good 100 round session, if you do lots of dry firing and drills, maybe twice a week would do. But then, it just depends....

Deaf
Old August 23, 2008, 09:56 AM   #27
darkgael

rounds downrange

It depends on what I am training for during a particular session. Rarely do I shoot more than 100 rounds in a session, regardless. Rarely do I bring more than two guns. I find that maintaining a worthwhile focus past 100 rounds is difficult. I prefer to return to the range on another day or even later that same day. Fortunately, both ranges that I frequent are close to home; indoor pistol/small bore rifle is a two minute walk. The rifle range is a two mile drive. I have a 100 yard smallbore point in my yard, though I use it only when my neighbors are not home.
For Bullseye practice ("training") I pretty much do what has already been described in terms of slow fire and NMC practice. I do spend time on a few strings of Rapid Fire ("Win it in Slow Fire, lose it in Rapid.")
Smallbore prone, I usually shoot 50 rounds at 100 yards. High power, 20 standing and at least 20 from each of the other positions.
For hunting, I'll shoot maybe twenty from sitting and "a few" standing, usually at some type of deer target.
Pete
Old August 23, 2008, 07:36 PM   #28
HiBC

Back when Ross Seifred was a world champ combat shooter,he discussed practice from a South Africa point of view.I read the article years ago and I don't recall that well,but ammo was scarce and so his practice sessions might have been 8 or 16 rounds,but the point was to shoot each round very well.It worked well enough to be world champ.
Another world class shooter was Ron Long.He kept a pellet pistol in his shop.He would start a cut on his lathe,and while the cut was running,he would shoot at a target.
As you practice,you are burning in muscle memory,reaction,etc.Twenty shots where you focus and execute the fundamentals,call the shot,etc,are better than 300 repetitions of a bad habit.
Old August 23, 2008, 07:55 PM   #29
45Marlin carbine

with a pistol I'm familiar with a dozen rounds to practice front sight alignment will do. a new gun or one I haven't shot in awhile maybe a box or more.
Old August 23, 2008, 08:16 PM   #30
Casimer

I think that it's a good idea to develop a training option that relies on fewer rounds fired. When I'd first started shooting seriously, I'd go through at least 150rds per session, often more. But as my technique has matured, I've gotten that number down to about 50. Frankly I think that these sessions are more productive. Shooting until fatigued simply reinforced bad habits for me.

I don't know how many shots you should fire. A better approach might be to set goals and try to reduce the number of shots necessary to accomplish them.
Old August 23, 2008, 11:46 PM   #31
pax

Every round you fire correctly is one round of good practice.

Every round you fire incorrectly will require TWO good rounds to replace the bad habit you just encouraged.

A good practice routine requires you to fire every round as if it matters.

pax