The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 9, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: September 30, 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 750
I need an idea on....

using something to plug up the end of barrels to pour gun cleaner in them, so I can let it soak for a while. Rubber would be an ideal material, but where can I find it in the diameters close to the size of the bores?
Anyone have some ideas on what I can use and where to get it?
Henry - Life NRA Member, USCCA Shield Member

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
WSM MAGNUM is offline  
Old August 9, 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Join Date: December 12, 2005
Posts: 55
Eastwood sells silicon plugs in various sizes.
steve1589 is offline  
Old August 9, 2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: March 6, 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 174
Or hit up your local hardware store for some rubber plugs and trim them to fit if need be.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.
Learn from your mistakes and you shall prevail equally.
Juhosaphat is offline  
Old August 9, 2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: May 4, 2001
Posts: 7,042
Brownell's sell metal chamber plugs with special "O" rings to seal the chamber.

Be careful with hardware store plugs, some solvents eat them and you can have a floor covered with solvent.
Dfariswheel is offline  
Old August 10, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: November 28, 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Ca
Posts: 7,117
I've used conical corks sold at the hardware store with good results. Since they're conical, many will fit a variety of sizes just fine. Though they're not often reuseable once they swell up a little. But they were dirt cheap last time I looked.
BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
BillCA is offline  
Old August 10, 2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Big Caliber
Senior Member
Join Date: October 10, 2006
Location: S. CA
Posts: 419
I get corks and rubber plugs from the hardware section of HomeDepot or Lowes. You'll find them in the section of aisle that has all the plastic pull-out boxes of goodies like spring clips, mirror hangers, etc.

Last edited by Big Caliber; August 10, 2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
Big Caliber is offline  
Old August 10, 2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Harry Bonar
Senior Member
Join Date: December 5, 2004
Location: In the Vincent, Ohio general area.
Posts: 1,804

Get some J-B bore cleaning paste and give your bore a good woorout with it.
Harry B.
Harry Bonar is offline  
Old August 17, 2008, 11:29 AM   #8
James K
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,160
The old bluing trick - wood plugs. Just buy a dowel rod a bit bigger than needed, cut some 2" lengths, trim to a shallow cone, and drive in. To plug the breech, use a longer piece of larger dowel.

Jim K
James K is offline  
Old August 18, 2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
Join Date: February 9, 2008
Location: Puget Sound Washington
Posts: 1,552
Check out Sinclair International on the web. They have a great selection of plugs and bore guides.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Llama (5/15/01, The Seattle Times)
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell
Inspector3711 is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.05857 seconds with 7 queries