The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 24, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1
kplender

Does your local FFL dealer charge to receive a gun?

If I buy a gun online (say, from gunbroker.com), and I have the gun shipped to a local FFL dealer in my area, does my local FFL dealer charge me a fee for this? How does that work? Thanks in advance!!
Old July 24, 2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Doyle

Yes. I've never heard of any that don't charge a fee. Typical is about $25 or so. The lowest I've ever seen is a $15 special rate that one of my semi-local shops charges members of our state shooting forum. I've heard of some shops charging in excess of $50. I'd tell them to pound sand and I'd take my business elsewhere.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
dasss

yes

all do but the amount varies.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Playboypenguin

Quote:
If I buy a gun online (say, from gunbroker.com), and I have the gun shipped to a local FFL dealer in my area, does my local FFL dealer charge me a fee for this? How does that work? Thanks in advance!!
Yes, they pretty much all do. That is why I never buy guns online. By the time you pay shipping and transfer fees it ends up being just as expensive, if not more expensive, to buy a gun sight unseen than it is to buy one I get to inspect first at a local dealer.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
ViperJon

I looked into buying one online a while back, called the local gunshop.
They asked if it was a new gun. I said yes.
The told me $100.00 for the transfer. I laughed in their face and bought it new...from another dealer.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Playboypenguin

A lot of dealers will not even accept transfers of guns that they carry.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:00 PM   #7
nate45

Mine charges me $10.00, yes thats right ten dollars.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:01 PM   #8
freakshow10mm

I will except all guns, whether or not if I have the same one (model) in stock at the time. $20 per gun. New or used.
Old July 24, 2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Cliff47

I have heard of dealers charging a flat fee for the transfer (low of $10, high of $100+), also the flat fee plus a percentage of the value of the firearm (which seems like a form of highway robbery, if you ask me).

The dealer I work with charges me $20 (plus state sales tax on his fee), and all is right with the world. Another dealer I used to go through now charges $35 (plus state sales tax), and that's why I quit doing business with them, they kept raising the fee (started at $15). My current FFL dealer even provides me a fresh copy of the FFL for my next purchase/transfer. What a deal.
Old July 24, 2008, 02:18 PM   #10
tplumeri

Quote:
By the time you pay shipping and transfer fees it ends up being just as expensive,
Unfortunately, thats true most of the time.
sellers on auction sites are charging $25-50.00 for shipping and my FFL costs another $30 . he actually only charges $15, but i give him 30 cause he delivers the gun to my home or office with completed paperwork and he emails FFL when i make purchases!
i would much rather handle the gun prior to purchase, but nearest shop is over an hour away.
gonna stick to online for now.
i buy too many guns to spend two hours driving each time!
Old July 24, 2008, 02:20 PM   #11
dogtown tom

Gunbroker (and other online gun auctions) has a list of FFl's that do transfers. Be aware that the Gunbroker list is VERY outdated, but it is a starting place.

Transfers are gravy for a dealer. They get paid for processing the transaction and do not have to tie up any capital by keeping guns in inventory.

Any dealer charging more than $50 is gouging- look for another. Some will be offended that you don't like what they have on their shelves. Smile, leave and take your business to another FFL that values your business.

BTW I pay less than $15 per transfer to an FFL that conducts business in his living room. He gives discounts for NRA members, CHL holders, etc. He does fifteen to twenty transfers each week.

If I buy a $500 firearm FTF in Texas, I'll pay an additional 8.25% state sales tax. Making my total $541.25
If I buy a $500 firearm from GunBroker, I'll pay shipping ($25), plus transfer ($15). Total $540.00 , so the difference is negligible on an item priced identically.

So why do I buy on GunBroker? Because I get better value. Why would I pay $800 + tax ($866) for a 98% condition "T" series Browning Hi Power in Dallas, when I can get it one as good (actually was better than described) on GunBroker for $580 + shipping/transfer ($620) ? Now my savings is $246 on one gun purchase. That buys a lot of ammo.
Old July 24, 2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Playboypenguin

Quote:
i would much rather handle the gun prior to purchase, but nearest shop is over an hour away.
gonna stick to online for now.
Fortunately, this is not a huge issue if you are buying new guns. It gets hairier with used ones. I have found that no one else's standard of "great", "like new" or "mint "condition is as high as mine.
Old July 24, 2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Buzzard

Yep, the local shop here charges 50.00 so I have not bought any online....
Old July 24, 2008, 02:24 PM   #14
cnutco

GA's average is $25
Old July 24, 2008, 02:28 PM   #15
TMann

My local gun shops charge ~$35 to $40. Ouch! I rarely buy stuff from out of state. It's just too expensive...

TMann
Old July 24, 2008, 02:45 PM   #16
hamster

AFAIK all the gun shops in san diego charge $75... i think they all got together and decided that they'd all gouge us the same. so i never buy online... i like PPT because you dont have to pay taxes!
Old July 24, 2008, 02:51 PM   #17
SilentHitz

Does your local FFL dealer charge to receive a gun?

Me? no, other folks, yes. Nice having a brother with ffl after I dropped mine.
Quote:
charge $75.
OUCH!!! That's legalized robbery!
Old July 24, 2008, 02:58 PM   #18
sasquatch

Quote:
By the time you pay shipping and transfer fees it ends up being just as expensive, if not more expensive, to buy a gun sight unseen than it is to buy one I get to inspect first at a local dealer.
That depends on the price of the gun. In WA state, sales tax at a local gun store is almost 9%. So, on a $500 gun that is $45, on an $800 gun that is $72. My FFL charges $25, and no sales tax on the incoming gun. I come out ahead most of the time, since shipping is $20-$25, and often absorbed by the seller.
Old July 24, 2008, 03:02 PM   #19
davlandrum

$50.

Last time I use that one......

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 24, 2008, 04:15 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some dealers will waive the fee for good customers who order something they don't have and can't get (collector guns for example).

I see nothing wrong with charging a fee for service; if you want to cuss someone, cuss Congress - they made direct mail order sales illegal.

There is a drawback to buying "on the net." If what you get isn't what you thought you were going to get, you will almost always have to pay shipping to return it, even if you get the money back for the cost of the gun. Sometimes, bargains aren't.

Jim
Old July 24, 2008, 05:21 PM   #21
threegun

We charge 30 buck but that includes the 5 bucks for the FDLE back ground check. Must be competitive because we transfer a ton of guns.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:32 PM   #22
Rmart30

Ive bought a cpl off the internet.... $20 is the most Ive paid, or will pay for the transfer. One local shop charges $50 to do it
$20 for signing for the package when delivered (1 min) entering it in their books, (2 min), calling in the instant background ck (5 min).... Last one I got I was in and out in under 10 minutes including me filling out the background ck paperwork....$20 is pretty good $ for that amount of time invested and no cost or inventory to stock..

Ive got one gun that wasnt what I ordered (blued instead of stainless) write return to sender on package (USPS) and it went back to them w/no problems or cost to me.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:34 PM   #23
gunsrtools

$20. here in Central NH

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old July 24, 2008, 07:52 PM   #24
bclark1

If it's more than $25, they don't want your business and will laugh at you for not realizing that. When I'm in Illinois (2 years and I still haven't changed my darn license) I spend easily the difference in gas to give my business to a really good guy (owner of Thin Blue Line in Wood Dale). The transfer is worth $25, and the time and gas is worth the conversation. I hope I can always find somebody I can say that about and stick with 'em.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:20 PM   #25
chris in va

The shops around here do it...begrudgingly. Doesn't matter that they can't order what I'm getting shipped in, they see it as revenue loss.

But I agree, by the time you pay the fees and shipping charges, you're usually better off getting something local.