The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 30, 2008, 10:37 PM   #26
MyGunsJammed

^^ post a pic
Old July 31, 2008, 12:10 AM   #27
ChicagoTex

Gratuitous pic time!

Old July 31, 2008, 12:36 AM   #28
jlh26oo

W O W Better than M&P, GLOCK, and H.K.? Might need to give these another try sometime. I didn't care for the trigger on the one I tried, but didn't notice that it had an awkward grip angle or anything.

Congrats, and thanks for the pre-range report!
Old July 31, 2008, 01:15 AM   #29
ChicagoTex

Quote:
W O W Better than M&P, GLOCK, and H.K.? Might need to give these another try sometime. I didn't care for the trigger on the one I tried, but didn't notice that it had an awkward grip angle or anything.
While I like mine a lot, the trigger is nothing exceptional (nor is it poor, it's about what I expect from a DA/SA), comparing to the M&P and Glock are sort of apples to oranges and even H&K fans will admit their DA/SA triggers tend to be pretty mediocre (I also can't stand the ridiculously late trigger release on H&Ks).

I'd describe the trigger as TIGHTER than the one on my SIG P229 (though I tend to shoot the 229 better), it is, however, not quite as smooth as my well-broken in CZ 75B - and doesn't come close to the feel of a good Smith & Wesson DA/SA revolver.

For me what makes the PX4 great is it's incredible ergonomics, the minute I picked it up I knew I had to buy it, so I did.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:28 AM   #30
Tibu

I have to ask; what is that black tipped ammo you have in the pics?
Old July 31, 2008, 01:40 AM   #31
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I have to ask; what is that black tipped ammo you have in the pics?
looks like some old Winchester Black Talon.
Old July 31, 2008, 06:10 AM   #32
kristop64089

It is BLACK TALON

Got a chance to shoot this thing, It's flippin sweet. Love it so much so that I am trading it for a CX4 in 40S&W, then I am going to buy a PX4 SC in 40.

There is absolutley no complaints with the Storm at al, But, I have a chance to get into a CX4 for no out of pocket expense.
Old July 31, 2008, 12:55 PM   #33
D-Ric902

You gotta talk to Dave Olhasso.
http://www.olhasso.com/PS/index.htm
He does amazing work on PX4s.
Old July 31, 2008, 05:51 PM   #34
jcalabria

My PX4

I have been nothing but happy with my PX4, about 2000 rounds and no problems at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PX4.jpg (40.2 KB, 48 views)
Old August 1, 2008, 11:49 AM   #35
briang2ad

Perfection would be...

This gun with a MANUAL safety like the PT 92. The PX4 has a very nice DA trigger and decent SA - I just don't like slide safeties. NIce gun.
Old August 1, 2008, 01:50 PM   #36
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I just don't like slide safeties.
Note that all mainstream firearms with slide safeties (Berettas, S&Ws, Walthers, etc) are not actually intended to be carried with the safety on - they meant to be carried decocked/safety off. The manual safety is just an extra on the decocking mechanism that can offer safer storage and loading/unloading if you so choose to employ it.

So why does it matter?
Old August 1, 2008, 02:02 PM   #37
briang2ad

The position

I don't like it on the slide - MUCH easier to manipulate a decocker on the frame - and I don't like decockers generally. Again, put a real CZ/1911 style safety on it and let her rip - the optimal pistol!
Old August 16, 2008, 07:58 PM   #38
MrNiceGuy

I purchased my px4 (G) last december. I have since put ~5,000 rounds through it during 2 center fire pistol leagues, my ccw class, 2 tactical classes, and a minimum of one trip to the range per week.

it has functioned absolutely flawlessly and the act of shooting it is nothing but a pure joy. I own many other pistols, and tried quite a few others before purchasing the px4. Yet to this date, the px4 is almost surely my favorite pistol on the market.

I have upgraded the sights to trijicons, purchased a good quality laser/tactical light, and bought a few of the 20round 9mm mags. I dont plan on getting rid of it any time soon and i look forward to the day i can retire the glock26 for a px4 sub compact as my concealed carry.
Old August 16, 2008, 08:04 PM   #39
VA9mm

Just purchased the PX4 .45 and I'm really liking it. This will most likely replace my 90TWO as my EDC.
Old August 16, 2008, 08:14 PM   #40
Jason_G

Quote:
I don't like it on the slide - MUCH easier to manipulate a decocker on the frame
I agree. Probably a "diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks" thing, but I also would prefer a frame mounted decocker/safety. This is the only thing that I didn't like about the pistol. Other than that, I was very highly impressed with it.

Jason
Old August 17, 2008, 01:41 AM   #41
Jermtheory

Quote:
Note that all mainstream firearms with slide safeties (Berettas, S&Ws, Walthers, etc) are not actually intended to be carried with the safety on - they meant to be carried decocked/safety off. The manual safety is just an extra on the decocking mechanism that can offer safer storage and loading/unloading if you so choose to employ it.

So why does it matter?
it does on a carry gun imo...

because its far too easy to inadvertently activate the safety and/or be mistaken about its status.

im not talking about an AD/ND because you thought the saftey was on.

i dont have a problem with a decocker on the slide so much,but a safety is something i can definately do without(especially in that position).

its part of the reason why my 92 is a range gun(size and weight are major players as well though).

the fewer variables the better on a SD pistol.

i also prefer not having a hammer and two different trigger pulls on a carry gun...but i digress,thats for another thread.
Old August 17, 2008, 01:49 AM   #42
ChicagoTex

Quote:
because its far too easy to inadvertently activate the safety and/or be mistaken about its status.
I think you're inflating this risk, particularly on the Storm, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:05 AM   #43
Jermtheory

fair enough...

but the risk of it on my carry pistol is zero...so in comparison any risk of it could be considered greatly increased.

i want as little to worry about as possible when/if "that time comes".

i love my 92...but for carry i much prefer a constant trigger pull,no manual safety,and no switches to get flipped in the wrong direction at the wrong time.

each his own though.
Old August 17, 2008, 02:19 AM   #44
ChicagoTex

well, if it makes you feel any better, my PX4 is too big for me to carry and I've yet to see a subcompact (though I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I liked it). I alternate carry between a Kahr CW40 and a Glock 26 mostly because I find they really work for me in terms of shootability, ergonomics, weight, and concealment.
It's sheer coincidence that what I actually carry is totally inline with your philosophy, but I thought you'd nevertheless be amused.
Old August 17, 2008, 04:04 AM   #45
Smaug

No Range Report from Kris yet?

Just curious how she liked it, as at least one range day has passed since the purchase...

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old August 17, 2008, 05:11 AM   #46
forest15

Before this thread, I never really gave the beretta storm much thought, I don't care for their looks, and the grip angle looks horribly uncomfortable, but after this many good reviews, I may just have to drop some hard earned $'s on one...
Old August 17, 2008, 05:59 AM   #47
ImDisaster

Quote:
I don't like it on the slide - MUCH easier to manipulate a decocker on the frame...
I don't like decockers on the slide because they dig into your hand when you rack the slide. I also don't like combined decockers and safeties. Don't like having to unactivate the safety after decocking to use the DA mode. Also, wish more decockers were like Sig...gently dropping hammer as opposed to letting it rip full tilt into the firing pin safety.
Old August 17, 2008, 12:20 PM   #48
Jason_G

Quote:
Before this thread, I never really gave the beretta storm much thought, I don't care for their looks, and the grip angle looks horribly uncomfortable, but after this many good reviews, I may just have to drop some hard earned $'s on one...
I found it completely comfortable and the recoil was unbelievably mild. I would still try one out before spending $$ if at all possible. I think you would be impressed with it though.

Jason
Old August 17, 2008, 12:26 PM   #49
Jermtheory

Quote:
It's sheer coincidence that what I actually carry is totally inline with your philosophy, but I thought you'd nevertheless be amused.
"broken clock..."?

jk

Tags
beretta , px4 , storm