The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 10, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
REVOlution

Remington 7400 Finish

Hey there ! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am relatively new to firearms but I have managed to acquire a couple of guns over the past year or so. Shotgun wise I have a Winchester 1200 12ga and a new Super X2.

Also, I just purchased my first slightly used rifle, a Remington 7400 30-06. As the stock and forearm did not match, I purchased a new Remington wood stock and forearm a gentleman had removed from his new rifle and replaced. My question is this: my Super X2 wood is clear coated and quite shiny. The new Remington wood is finished nicely but does not seem to have a very good clear coat. If it does have a clear coat, it is not very shiny or hard. How can I put a good quality clear coat on it? Should I take this to my local gunsmith or is there a product I can get myself? Thanks for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Old July 11, 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most gun owners don't really want a shiny stock, but since you do there are several products you can use, including a high gloss spar varnish, which is used by some gun manufacturers. It dries very hard and shiny, unlike many polyurethanes that can soften after contact with the hands.

Jim
Old July 12, 2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Scorch

I typicall recommend TruOil for refinishing stocks, since it is very resistant to chemicals and does not have a tacky feel. Or, if you are unsure of what to do with it, take it to a good gunsmith for refinishing.