The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
AirForce2

XDM Mag Release with full clip problem anyone else

Is anyone else having problems ejecting a 15 or 16 round mag from the XDM .40? Curious to know if anyone else finds it near impossible to eject a 16 rd mag or w/15 rds from yours. I have to use 2 hands and both thumbs w/16 rd. Please reply only with this problem to this thread.
Old July 8, 2008, 10:17 AM   #2
cschwanz

i had the same problem with my XD.45C. with a fully loaded mag, it was a pain to drop it out, but if i took one round out, it was a piece of cake. I took it to the range and just shot it with 1 less in the mag for the first day. By the end of the day, the problem was neary gone. I think its just the newness(is that even a word, lol) of the mag springs and they are pushing the top round up too hard. When the get a lil use, you shouldn't have a problem
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old July 8, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Don P

Mag release

You can try and push up on the mag when you push the button and this will help the mag release easier. I have the same thing with my XD 9mm and XD 45acp
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
AirForce2

Mag Release

Yeah, I tried 50 reloads that week, and then left 16 rds in the mag for a week and still it's real stiff and have to use both thumbs. How many rounds does the XD .45 hold? It's not quite a fair comparison of a XD versus a XDM since the guns are different design and the mags don't interchange but if your XD was say a 14 rd then I'm more prone to think mine is just worse than other XDM models and shipped it to SA a few days ago. The upward pressure on the XDM from 15 or 16 rds in the mag into the bottom of the slide is a lot compared to other EAA, STI, 1911 and glocks I've toyed with. The full mag drops easy as pie if the slide is not on the gun.
Old July 18, 2008, 04:41 PM   #5
AirForce2

XDM mag holders

If anyone finds out what mag holders (aftermarket) are compatable with the XDM .40 mags please post. SA told me the XD .45 holders don't work even for the XDM. They said the XD .45 mag is not as wide as XDM mags or something, but either way they said only the SA XDM mag holders will do which I find hard to believe the mag dimensions are that odd. Be careful of the hard plastic form fit holsters also, The XD holster may not fit the XDM and I tested some versions and their right.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:57 AM   #6
AirForce2

I got rid of this gun after a few years but sent back to springfield and they fixed it ejects a full 16 rd mag fairly normal. I have since bought another 5.25 inch comp model .40 and this one was super hard to eject a full mag but not impossible like my first one and also excess to slam a full mag into place so I decided to fix the problem myself this time. I removed the mag catch and cut a slightly angled edge to it and reinstalled and also removed about 1/8 inch of the follow in case the compressed mag spring was stacking to tight and both are better now, but the recut of the slide catch was the biggest gain which is what the factory had to do on my last one.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Groundhog34

I have the same problem with my XDm 45 with a full magazine. I think the spring needs to break in.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:19 AM   #8
AirForce2

oops

sorry I meant I tweeked the angle of the magazine catch angle in my prev post not the slide catch.