The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 19, 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
spikespeigel

Audio Stress Inoculation?

I know people train with paint rounds and with more realistic targets to become more reliable understressful situations (ie: stress inoculation). Has anyone ever heard of training with audio? Like perhaps, if you used hearing protection with headphones wired in so you could listen to combat senarios while at the range. It was just something I was thinking about and couldn't find anything when I searched. Any input?
Old June 19, 2008, 07:31 PM   #2
JollyRoger

Nature's kind of taken care of that already. Auditory exclusion is common in shooting incidents, as is tunnel vision. The training you really need is to combat these conditions and look around for other threats.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
spikespeigel

Right, but if we could introduce these into even simple range shooting, don't you think it would become even more second nature to work through the hectic noise? Just a thought...
Old June 19, 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

Spike,

Jolly's point is that part of the body's natural reaction to fear & shock is to reduce our auditory sensitivity, so it is a really a non-issue.

-RJP
Old June 19, 2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Chui

Exactly, Rob. You'd also 'go deaf'. Even though your ears may not ring much you'll still acquire damage. And it occurs at or around 4 to 5kHz - right where your ears are most sensitive.

God is cruel.

Just kiddin', "Big Guy".
Old June 20, 2008, 04:36 AM   #6
spikespeigel

Yeah... I understand all of that.

I'll just use my headset to listen to tunes then... Thanks for the input...
Old June 20, 2008, 09:30 AM   #7
davlandrum

I think it is adrenaline caused by anything. I know I don't hear when I shoot a a deer - at least not the same as it sounds at the range.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 20, 2008, 12:11 PM   #8
spikespeigel

If you're interested in learning more about tunnel vision and selective hearing then I would HIGHLY suggest reading "On Combat" by Dave Grossman and Loren Christensen. It pretty much covers everything...
Old June 20, 2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Chui

Sharpening the Warrior's Edge by Bruce K. Siddle is detailed. It appears to be a very abbreviated Master's Thesis, actually.

Rob Pincus' book Combat Focused Shooting also covers this material. Rob's course by the same name is also very, very worthwhile.