The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 9, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
chuckmatlock

shooting slugs out of a bird barrel? damage?

I got an old ted williams shotgun from my father and tried to shoot slugs out of it. they shoot about 1 1/2 feet high at 25 yds. I think the rear bead had been resoldered on a bit low, anyway am I doing barrel damge by shooting rifled slugs down a smooth bore?
Old May 9, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Rampant_Colt

Rifled slugs are designed to be fired from smoothbore guns, so you're good-to-go.

If your gun is a full-choke, that's what may be causing your accuracy issues.

Please mention what choke it has
Old May 9, 2008, 05:11 PM   #3
T.A.Sharps

I think any choke would deform a full bore diameter rifled slug. Its all lead, and the groovs make it spin in the air. Lead doesn't stand up to steel very well. It may also cause an unsafe pressure spike.
Old May 9, 2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps
I think any choke would deform a full bore diameter rifled slug. Its all lead, and the groovs make it spin in the air. Lead doesn't stand up to steel very well. It may also cause an unsafe pressure spike
Sorry, but that'd be incorrect

The grooves on the side of the rifled slug are there for the slug to swage down in the shotgun barrel. They do not impart a spin on the slug.

It is perfectly safe to shoot RIFLED shotgun slugs up to and including full-choke. Although not recommended with full-choke choke tubes.

I shoot Remington reduced recoil slugs in my 18" IC barrel all day without issue

Don't confuse sabot slugs, which require a fully-rifled barrel, or rifled choke tube with rifled slugs.

rifled slugs= smoothbore barrels

sabot slug= fully-rifled barrels
Old May 9, 2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Pahoo

Unless I am missing something, you did not mention what choke you have. I have shot out of a full choke, modified and improved. Some of my best groups were with the full but that's my gun. As mentioned, you should not have a problem with your smooth bore. If you can, open up the choke and see if your accuracy improves.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 9, 2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Hawg

I have bulged a full choke tube with slugs. It was an older gun tho.
Old May 9, 2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Swampghost

I've been blasting rifled slugs through my old Stevens 311A SxS for over 40 yrs. No evidence of any problems so far.
Old May 10, 2008, 01:55 PM   #8
chuckmatlock

poly choke, I think it was on the gun to begin with

It doesn't look like it is a plug or screw in. you just adjust it, I have it on modified.
Old May 10, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Rampant_Colt

Adjust your Poly-Choke to IC setting, or if there's a 'cylinder' setting, use that.
You want to use the least amount of choke when shooting slugs
Old May 10, 2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Pahoo

Your gun was made by Winchester and basically a model 1200. I suspect it's a model 200 or something like that. Has what is called the Win. Poly choke and as you stated, it's original. Yours might also have a vent rib. These guns have a good action and again, open the choke all the way and see if this helps. Forget the rear bead and just aim with the front bead. Looks like you need more range time.

Be Safe !!
Old May 10, 2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Ruger4570

Rifled slugs for the most part tend to be pure lead, very soft stuff and not likely to damage steel which has many times the strength. The rifleing on the slug does "nothing" to impart a spin and even if it did, there would not be enough spin to stabilize a slug. They are simply stabilized as a Badmitton Shuttlecock is, weight forward, light in the rear. There are so many wives tales about slugs out there and darn few if any factual.
In general, open chokes "tend" to give the best accuracy, but as I said, "tend" to give the best. Sometimes a full choke will work better, it is all about the gun and not the rules.
I have 2 old Ithaca 37's that were made as Deerslayers. They shoot reasonably well but I think it is a function of having a front and REAR sight. They were supposedly bored with a bore the same from end to end. Does it make a difference? I really don't know as I have other guns with scopes or sights that shoot as well.
Old May 11, 2008, 06:49 AM   #12
.45 COLT

The Foster Slug, as loaded by major manufacturues for smoothbore shotguns, is tapered, with the only part that is (almost) full bore size at the rear. It is also hollowbased. That portion that is over the size of your choke swages down easily. The "rifling" also allows some room for lead to swage. Any smoothbore slugs that use a different construction, or that are made from anythiing but dead-soft lead, carry a warning on the box about shooting through choked guns.

The best slug shooting gun I have is an old J. C. Higgins with a fixed Full choke.

DC
Old May 12, 2008, 07:18 AM   #13
chuckmatlock

thanks, it is a ribbed barrel

I had another buddy shoot it and he got the same results so I know it isn't me. Also the trigger is terrible, is there anything I can to do improve it? I had thought about getting the stick on sights to try to lower my aim point. does anyone make a cantilevered barrel for these old guns?
Old May 13, 2008, 07:33 PM   #14
T.A.Sharps

What would a rifled choke tube do for you?

I have a 20ga smooth bore that I only shot "rifled slugs" through. It was never what I call accurate, but I thought that the grooves on the slug were there to spin it in the air. Reading about the fosters, finding out it just shoots sraight out the barrel, I was wondering if a rifled choke tube would do much to improve the accuracy? Would it put enough spin on it to matter?

Around here I've only heard them called "rifled slugs," so I always thought the "rifling" on the slug made them spin.