The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 14, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
southernboy

wad thickness

I was browsing the Cabela's website for lubed wads for my '51 Navy and I noticed that they come in .005, .010, or .020. What would be the better of the three?
Old April 14, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Raider2000

Those are patch thickness not Wads, those are for use out of smooth bore & rifled muzzleloading rifles where the round ball thickness is taken up by the selected patch size to achieve the best seal/fit in the bore of the weapon.

This is what you want..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=wad&noImage=0

Select .36 caliber "if I remember right about your pistol"
Old April 14, 2008, 10:43 PM   #3
mykeal

Just to emphasize what Raider2000 suggested: those patches are NOT for revolvers, they are for single shot muzzleloading pistols, rifles and smoothbore long guns. Use his link for lubed overpowder wads for use in revolvers such as your 1851 Navy.
Old April 15, 2008, 09:01 PM   #4
scrat

if he is talking about those vegetable fiber wads. Heck i use them. On my walker. Thats the only way i can get 56 grains of Goex in her. The regular wads limit me to 50 grains. i cant see how you can get 60 grains in a walker. i cant. unless i go straight powder then ball. Just dont like to do that though.
Old April 16, 2008, 11:28 PM   #5
countryboywithgun

wads

a salesman at bass pro suggested that i use cut up polishing cloths and lube them with bore butter or the like.... anyone got a suggestion, i don't want to blow my hand off. BTW my 58 went back to taylor's because of the conversion not clicking all the way and they will fix and send back
Old April 17, 2008, 04:33 AM   #6
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboywithgun
a salesman at bass pro suggested that i use cut up polishing cloths and lube them with bore butter or the like.... anyone got a suggestion, i don't want to blow my hand off. BTW my 58 went back to taylor's because of the conversion not clicking all the way and they will fix and send back
NO NO NO, the polishing cloth is just as thick as a cleaning patch "maybe" & when you compress the bullet over the Bore Butter saturated patch, it'll contaminate the powder underneath which can cause misfires..

A wad that is lightly lubed or better yet a dry lubed wad will not have this effect & it will also have the slight scrubbing effect that is intended to keep the bore relatively clean between shots & prevent chain fires.

without the wad I would suggest a grease like Crisco or Bore Butter over the bullet to prevent chain fires & to keep fouling soft.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Deadguy

TC makes shooting patches (for muzzleloading rifles, of course) saturated with their Bore Butter, and while they are greasy to the touch, I have used a couple hundred of them in my front stuffers without ever having them contaminate my powder. You can make your own, just remember that the excess lube should be squeezed out/wiped off before you go shooting.
Old April 17, 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
long rider

Have you guys seen the price of these wonder wads
i would not entertain useing them, to me its a waste of$$$$$
i got me a large tub of crisco and a 1lb block of bees wax and
made my owen lube, it works wonders for lube on cylinder pin
& lube on the round balls..
Old April 17, 2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Hawg

Any powder contamination you get with lubed wads won't be noticable. It will just be the powder that comes into contact with it. You can get a set of cheap hole punches from Harbor freight and some old felt and make your own.
Old April 17, 2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Titanvk56

I like using Sagebrush brand lubed wads...I find that they are more consistent in size and lube amount than the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads.

https://www.sageoutfitters.com/cgi-b...action&key=210
Old April 18, 2008, 07:11 PM   #11
long rider

HEY, wad guys, you can be certain you will blow
your wad buying them.
Old April 19, 2008, 04:14 AM   #12
Ifishsum

The Cabelas brand revolver wads are cheaper, and they seem to have a lot more lube than all the other brands I've tried. These are the ones I use:

http://snipurl.com/24z79 [www_cabelas_com]
Old April 21, 2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Deadguy

You can get wads at http://www.bpstuffllc.com for half the price of the Cabela's wads.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Titanvk56

Quote:
You can get wads at http://www.bpstuffllc.com for half the price of the Cabela's wads.
$6.00 for 200 wads dose sound pretty good....I see they also have .380 lead balls.

May have to give them a try.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:16 PM   #15
scrat

thats a very good deal have to add that to my favorites
Old April 22, 2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Fingers McGee

the http://www.bpstuffllc.com/index.htm site seems almost too good to be true. Anyone notice there is no location, email, phone number on the web page? Anyone know who they are?

Guess I'll give it a try & see. I need some .380 roundballs.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; April 22, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old April 22, 2008, 01:26 PM   #17
Deadguy

There's an email address on the pages in a couple locations. No, it's not too good to be true, it just got started up and the website is still being put together, but what is there is functional.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:30 PM   #18
scrat

good prices on the felt wads but the bullets i can cast my own cheaper. i imagine anyone can though.
Old April 22, 2008, 09:02 PM   #19
Ricklin

I ordered their wads in .44 last night. Great price. I'll let ya'll know what I think. Grease is cheaper but the wads are oh so convenient, they also help me keep track of which cyl.s I have charged.
Old April 27, 2008, 03:18 PM   #20
Fingers McGee

Well, I ordered some of his .380 round balls on Tuesday morning (1000 of em to be exact). He emailed me that he didnt have that many on hand; but would get right to em. I received them in yesterday's mail. Went through the some of the bags & didnt find any wrinkled or damaged ones. They all were shiney & round without any spru protrusion. Used them in a 5 stage monthly match today & managed to shoot a clean match - well, no misses anyhow - with them. From this limited experiment; I'd say that BPstuff's roundballs have the hits cast in.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 27, 2008, 07:56 PM   #21
long rider

I to have just checked out that site, i like the $ on
the 454 rb,8 bucks for a 100, now thats
what i call a good deal, i can get them for 12.50 per 100
so i wonder how much is the s.h. cost?
Old April 27, 2008, 10:33 PM   #22
Fingers McGee

Long Rider, et al.

I ordered 1000 .380 balls. They arrived in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. Shipping cost me $10.00. Total bill was $80 making the total price $8/100. Without knowing for certain; I'd say the .454s would be the same puting the total price at $9/100
Old April 28, 2008, 07:48 AM   #23
Raider2000

That price is good & if I didn't cast my own .457 balls that'd be where I'd buy mine but being that I do cast my own I get some where around 1500 rds. for around $40.00 & it is getting cheaper since I get all the stick on wheel weights that I want from work.

now as far as the wads go, that does look like a great price & I may make a purchase real soon "haven't gotten around getting my self a punch yet & material to make my own yet.

Also, I've noticed that he doesn't do any .54cal stuff, maybe he doesn't have any .54cal rifles..
Old April 28, 2008, 03:53 PM   #24
long rider

Raider Qs for you, how many 454 rbs do you think i could
get out of 5lbs lead,? at the plumbing surply they want
allmost 20 bucks a lb, and i was told by a muzzle loading
guy i meet at the range he said do not use wheel weights
they not good for muzzle loading that was his words.
Man i am telling you this is so frustating trying to get going
on makeing your owen rbs, i have got a set of moulds for
454, i was going to get a lead pot a dipper and a camping
stove, but without a surply of lead i am up the creek without
a paddle, well its just one more setback for me
Old April 28, 2008, 04:16 PM   #25
Raider2000

First off.
Clip on Wheel weights are not that great for making muzzleloading Bullets because they tend to have more Antimony & Tin in them {Lead 95% Antimony 2.5% Tin .5% Arsenic .1% Trace elements 1.9%} but Stick on Wheel Weights are very close to pure lead as I can get "for free that is" they usually are {Lead 98% Antimony .25% Trace elements 1.75%} which is OK for making Muzzleloading bullets.

What you may want to do is find a auto shop or tire shop & see if they'll give or sell you their wheel weights "some will because they have to pay to have it taken away, then seperate the stick on ones from the clip on ones & give the clip on ones to a modern gun shooter that cast his/her bullets for their rifle & pistols.

Another way is to buy some pure lead & get the clip on wheel weights & split the difference, 2lb of wheel weight to 5lb of pure lead which will still be a little tough but real close to what you want "about 97.5% lead & other elements."

As far as ammount.
140gr. .454 ball
7000gr. per Lb. of lead
50 ball per Lb. so 250 ball for 5Lbs. of lead.

Oh & BTW..

http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Ingots_c_9.html

They have Pure lead a lot cheaper than what you can get it from that plumbing place.