The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1
cavemapper

choke help

i have been going to a 12ga shooting match. they are shooting 2 3/4" remington skeet nines at 25 yards, and shooting 4X4 cards. all the chokes i've looked at buying are paterned at 40 yards in a 30" circle. so i dont know which one i should get. i am shooting a mossberg 835 3 1/2" ultra mag. any ideas on which choke would shoot the best at 25 yards?
Old March 23, 2008, 07:18 AM   #2
mikenbarb

If you want to put alot of pellets in that card you should look at the Briley line of turkey hunting tubes. I have a Briley 3X full turkey tube for my Browning Gold 3.5 that has straight lands and grooves for slowing the wad and taking spin out of it. Also think about putting a red dot or scope on your gun to center your pattern. Some guns pattern off a little from the sights and your best to go to the range and try a few out. Ask your friends if they have any turkey chokes for you to try.(if same gun as yours) I got my Briley tube at Gander on a red tag special for $15.00. They had a few different for turkey, ducks, geese, etc. I bought 2 of each for that price. They list somewhere around $60.00. I think Wal-Mart has a few inexpensive ones to choose from in their Turkey hunting section.($20.00) If you get Cabelas then they have a screw in Poli-Choke to fit most guns. It has any choke adjustment from X-full to Cylinder bore. Its pretty much an infinate range of settings and the sell for $99.99 and its equal to having 10 different chokes at the tip of your fingers. They say their good for all types of shot including slugs.
Old March 23, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
mikenbarb

Card shooting

I just read an article on card shooting and they are on the same page in regards to the issue called " darting ". Where the dense center of the pattern vary from the point of aim. I would use a red dot sight for this problem. They also state that the best known name of choke tube manufactures in the card game is Bud Burkey. This is supposed to be the most dense pattern tube for the game. The contact is [email protected]