The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1
dazedkraut

Self defense revolver for girlfriend

My girlfriend is wanting to get back into shooting after a long layoff. We are looking at a few different handguns for her, and she is most comfortable with revolvers as far as ease of use. Any suggestions on a good self defense gun for her? I'd like her to have something heftier than a .32, she probably could handle a .38- something that will put a man down. The gun will probably also double as a (legal) carry/car weapon, so long barrels are out. Price range needs to be less than $1000, but the gun needs to be good quality. I'd like some input from other people that are in similar situations. Thanks for the help!
Old March 15, 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
SW40F

Don't buy it for her, buy it with her. Don't be in a hurry, and listen to what she has to say about what she has heard.

1. Take her to your favorite Gun Store.
2. Let her explain what she wants to the sales person.
3. Let her handle the guns he suggests.
4. If they rent the gun(s) that interest her, open the ol' wallet
5. Oh go ahead, shoot them with her...

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

Spend a lot of time there, and read all the articles. There is a lot of good advice.
Old March 15, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Price range needs to be less than $1000, but the gun needs to be good quality. I'd like some input from
I would think any steel S&W snub nose revolvers like the Lady Smith or the Ruger SP 101 would be a good starting point. They should all fall well short of your $1000 cap and are quality revolvers. Good for carry car or purse carry.
Old March 15, 2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Six Shooter Steve

My wife carries a Smith&Wesson Airweight. Very good quality gun, and no worries on the +p loads for carry ammo. I carry it when we are out together as a pocket gun sometimes too.

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}

Last edited by Six Shooter Steve; March 27, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old March 15, 2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Webleymkv

You've got a pretty safe bet in anything made by S&W, Colt, or Ruger as long as it's in good condition so I'd start there.
Old March 15, 2008, 07:56 PM   #6
BlkHawk73

Quote:
Don't buy it for her, buy it with her. Don't be in a hurry, and listen to what she has to say about what she has heard.

1. Take her to your favorite Gun Store.
2. Let her explain what she wants to the sales person.
3. Let her handle the guns he suggests.
4. If they rent the gun(s) that interest her, open the ol' wallet
5. Oh go ahead, shoot them with her...
Perfect advice. All too often we see the husband/boyfrined wanting to buy a firearm for thier better half and asking what they should buy for her. Until you let her pick your vehicle without your imput, don't buy her firearms for her without her imput. The choice should be entirely hers.
Old March 15, 2008, 07:59 PM   #7
VonFireball

I'd give her two choices:

1. The pink one

2. The 500 S&W snub

lol
Old March 15, 2008, 08:52 PM   #8
nutty ned

Look at the Ruger SP-101 in .327 mag.
.32 H&R mag are tame in that revolver and in the ball park of many .38 special rnds on the charts.
.327 mag is a hand full, but, more energy than most .38 spl + P
Old March 15, 2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Webleymkv

I'd also suggest talking to Pax and Tamara. Both have insight and excellent advice on this particular subject.
Old March 15, 2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Qwiks draw

I'll agree with most of the advice given so far. This is her choice so she gets to pick.
It could be a revolver or a pistol she might cotton to. One never knows.She should try each type,brand,make and model.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1521.0

Ruger does make the SP101 6 shot in .327 Federal magnum.about the size frame as snubbies but packs 6 rounds and not 5. Federal's magnum is owerful enough to give very good level of protection versus more powerful cartridges.

Less recoil,less muzzle flash than the bigger bores. Might not be an issue, but has to be looked at.

Any of the .32 caliber revolver cartridges can be used in it. There are many softball loads that can be used for practice.

Then there are the larger bores. Something along the lines of a .38 Special and +P if need be. Buffalo Bore and several companies make a 158gr LSWCHP that has +P velocities, but at standard pressures and less recoil.

Speer, Federal, and other ammo makers make +P .38 Special that are made for short barreled revolvers.

She can work here way up to the .357 magnums or larger bores at her pace.

Now for the pitch.
Taurus has a full line of revolvers that are cost effective,dureable,and fill the niche.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=285409
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1814.0

Have to say that S&Ws can fill the bill also.
Old March 15, 2008, 11:52 PM   #11
chris in va

My lady friend enjoys my SP101, but hated the hard DA pull. I've since changed the mainspring to a 10# and both of us enjoy it more.
Old March 16, 2008, 12:34 AM   #12
Hagar the Republican

I agree with several of the guys who have suggested the SP101. You do want something that is big enough and comfortable enough to practice with a lot. The S&W J-frames are great little carry guns, but not exactly what a rookie needs to practice a lot with. Again, the SP101 is small enought to carry, yet gun enough to practice with. Plus with a .357 she will have three different power levels to shoot; .38 Special, .38+P, and the .357 magnum. She will find the one she likes. I do suggest a trigger job.

Or, better yet, you might find a good used S&W K-frame (model 19, 65, or 66) in 2.5" or 3" barrel.
Old March 16, 2008, 05:58 AM   #13
SDBuckaroo

Quote:
Perfect advice.
But be sure you take her to a store you know and a sales person you trust.... Lots of bad advice out there. She (and you) have no need to deal with a sales person who is less than informed.

Just my .02

Buckaroo
Old March 16, 2008, 08:08 AM   #14
MADISON

Self defense revolver for girlfriend

I recommend a Ruger SP-101 in 2 1/4 or 3 inch [.357 Magnum.]
Ruger is stronger than S&W.
It is light in weight
Easy to conceal carry
She can start shooting .38 Specials and work up to full charge .357 loads.
Old March 16, 2008, 09:33 AM   #15
dazedkraut

Thanks!

I appreciate all of the good advice. I'll definitely let her pick out the gun she feels most comfortable with. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!
Old March 16, 2008, 10:42 AM   #16
wnycollector

My wife and I both have our NYS Pistol permits. We have co-registered a NEF .22 revolver, S&W 638 and 2.75" Ruger Security Six. In order of practice preference:
1) Ruger w/ std pressure .38's,
2) NEF .22 (she dosent like the heavy DA trigger pull), and
3) 638 w/ anything other than WC's.

She prefers to carry the 638 (15oz) and practice with the ruger (32oz!)
Old March 16, 2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Rifleman 173

I'd start her off with a .22LR revolver with a 4 inch barrel. I would probably go with a S & W or a Ruger stainless steel revolver with fixed sights. After she got used to the .22LR I would buy her a clone of the same pistol in .357 magnum and then start her off using low-recoil target loads for awhile. Again it would be stainless steel with a 4 inch barrel. As she got used to the ammo, I would ease her up to a slightly more powerful load until she was comfortable with shooting hollow pointed ammo.
Old March 16, 2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Crestliner

I've just ordered an SP101, 2", SS revolver in .357. Hefty enough to handle the more potent loads comfortably, yet small enough for ease of concealment. I've handled both this and S&W M-60. I preferred the Ruger. Just do not get her a light weight snubby!
Old March 16, 2008, 02:45 PM   #19
Buzzcook

Take her to a range and let her shoot everything they rent.

Most people can handle a .38 without difficulty.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:16 PM   #20
Mark Milton

I would recommend a good used model 65 Ladysmith with the 3 inch barrell.
My ex girlfriend loved mine, LOL...

Its small enough for CCW work, but big enough to shoot for fun too. Its a really good all around gun.

Sometimes you can find the smaller five shot frame revolvers with a three inch tube too.
I like a 3 inch barrel for an all around gun. Short enough to conceal but long enough to get the job done....
Taurus, Colt, Ruger, Smith, all make guns in that range small to middling .38/.357s...
Old March 17, 2008, 07:03 PM   #21
svilla

I'm lookin hard at the .327 Mag. My wife shoots my .45's better than I can re-coil is no problem, the problem is she can't rack the slides to load.

She really likes my 340PD and can load it, but She has yet to shoot it and so I don't know how she will handle .357
Old March 18, 2008, 05:53 PM   #22
Ichiro

A snubby requires a LOT more practice to shoot well than just about any other kind of handgun. As for woman guns, I suppose it depends on the woman. My wife shoots well enough with a GP-100, Sig 226 or Firestorm .22, but can't hit a thing with an SP-101 or 642 (and hates shooting them).
Old March 18, 2008, 06:54 PM   #23
BlackDrop50

I went with the SP101 also. Wanted a heavy duty .357 for myself and a compact small frame that could easily handle .38 +Ps for my girlfriend. I like that it has a slight heft and I enjoy shooting it at the range.
Old March 18, 2008, 07:38 PM   #24
Pilot

My wife chose a S&W 62 .38 Spl +p. Its got the factory Crismon laser grips and a really nice little carry piece. She practices with shooting gloves and WWB .38 Spl ammo and likes it a lot.
Old March 18, 2008, 07:47 PM   #25
Anchorage

For a girl, it has to be sexy. It if isnt, then she wont like it. Most guns are too "Manly" and makes women look like a butch. I think a nice .22, .25,.32 automatic that fits in her purse that is SS and has mother of pearl grips. YUM. fits in her little wee purse next to her compact and lipstick.