The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2008, 07:28 PM   #1
bswiv

Why we hunt..........

What you're seeing is the ultimate reward for us "meat hunters" out here. That's a "piney woods rooter", AKA wild hog, that just got consumed for dinner. Last evening at this time he was being draged out of the swamp.

We've had a couple of windy/rainy days here in NE Fl. and yesterday afternoon it finally broke. As is normally the case it seems that the best time to find animals moving about is as the barometer changes and the weather changes. So it was last evening.

Our deer season is closed so we this time of year we hunt hogs. Do it on foot. Just slip slowly through the swamps and palmettos. Do it into the wind. This one was about 10 yards away. Two others with him but all I could see of them was the palmettos moving. Needless to say did not shoot at them.
Old January 27, 2008, 07:38 PM   #2
fisherman66

That's the part we usually throw away. If I had a means to smoke it we probably wouldn't. How dry is the rib meat compared to domestic pig?
Old January 27, 2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Charles S

Quote:
Why we hunt..........
That looks great. That is why I hunt, that and for the solitude of the woods, the beauty, and the experience. The comradeship around camp can be uplifting with the right crowd.

Thanks for sharing.

Any recipes? I see sauce...do you use a dry rub also? Do you brine or inject the meat?

Quote:
How dry is the rib meat compared to domestic pig?
If you pick the animal carefully they can be amazing. However the ribs generally are quite dry, you just have to find a young animal with fat on the ribs.
Old January 27, 2008, 07:52 PM   #4
BIGR

Always heard wild hog was good eating. Looks good in the pictures.
Old January 27, 2008, 07:54 PM   #5
bswiv

I did not do a very good job of picture taking. The neck roast and the loin roast ( Both bone in. )are in there along with the whole rib section. The rib section still has the backbone and backstrap in..........

When we skin them we try and leave a bit of fat on them and then rub it down with a mixture of Cavenders Greek Seasoning and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Rub it on thick. Smoke at about 300 to 325 till it reaches temp inside, 155-160 degrees in the thickest part. Then we let the heat drop a bit in the smoker and leave them on for a few more hours to get tender.

Other option is to remove them from the smoker once they reach temperature, wrap them in double foil and put in the oven at 250 for 4 or 5 hours, longer for hams. This works good and keeps the meat from drying out.

You're right in that the ribs don't have all that much meat on them but when it's smoked and spiced and just falls off the bone...........!!!!!
Old January 29, 2008, 01:13 PM   #6
BrunoNorway

why we hunt...

please dont post pics like that.
i cant watch this. this is cruel. its inhumane. its horrible. you are so mean.
its not funny at all. im getting water in my mouth. im getting hungry.

here its 5 feet of snow and no chanse of bbq for the next 2 months...

mmm yumy

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old January 29, 2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

That looks tasty. If it was half as good as it looks I'm sure it was outstanding.
Old January 29, 2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Perldog007

I hunt because I drink beer and lie to my wife, just ask old whatshisname who wanted to be president once.

Quote:
That's the part we usually throw away. If I had a means to smoke it we probably wouldn't. How dry is the rib meat compared to domestic pig?

I honestly don't know that, but I do know that when I was really poor living in the mountains I took discarded deer ribs and put them in the pressure cooker for nine or ten months and made pretty good boiled BBQ. Nine or ten months may be a slight exaggeration.

First I boiled the meat off the ribs, then put it in the pressure cooker until all resistance ceased. Then cook it down till most of the water is gone, add BBQ sauce. Better than the ready made BBQ in the plastic tubs in the store.

I imagine Wild Hog would be doable.
Old January 29, 2008, 06:46 PM   #9
StuMan

You lucky SOB's. I wish we had pigs here
Old January 29, 2008, 08:47 PM   #10
fisherman66

Quote:
I wish we had pigs here
We are sending them up as fast as we can. I wish they'd take the fire ants and Africanized Bees with them.

Feral pig wallows are not pretty and they tend to push deer. Be careful what you wish for.
Old January 30, 2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Sgt.Fathead

Meat!

I was a vegetarian for a number of years. Had some very serious intestinal issues and was trying to be nice to my colon. I can admit it, I ate tree bark and sprouts and , yes, the Tofurky dinner. But we're supposed to eat animals, aren't we? Look at our teeth and our creative skills and tool making abilities! Meat! Yes, animals are made of meat. As a bumper sticker we saw in Nebraska read, "Eat Beef: The West Wasn't Won On Salad!"

That looked real good. I dread the day feral hogs invade our area but know it's likely inevitable. As Uncle Ted says, "Kill It and Grill It!"
Old January 30, 2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Scorch

bswiv-
That smoker is missing something . . . me as a dinner guest. And yes, wild pig ribs do get a bit dry, but that's why God invented beer.
Old January 30, 2008, 01:59 PM   #13
BrunoNorway

Sgt.Fathead

i am glad to hear that you have converted from pray to predator, becouse thats what we are, pray, until we use the creativ brain god have given us.
we dont have the teeth, claws, nose, ears, eyes or strenght of a tipical predator but yet we rome on the top of the food-chain.
we have the highest IQ known today and thats our primary tool.
we have learned to use other predators to our own benefit.
predators like the dog that we have used to protect, hunt, hearde, snif and even see.

we have leard to behave in a non-pray fashion to avoid getting killed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZSn1Jl7eKo
there is a reson that all other wild animals are afraid of the humans.
that said, i think its unvise to walk in the woods without a firearm as we still have the physiks of a pray...

if people want to fight evolution and still be pray, i respect that, moore meat for me.
but i want that same respect to be shown to me as a predator...

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old January 30, 2008, 03:24 PM   #14
davlandrum

I taught my 2-year-old girl to respond to the question "what is a deer?" with "MMM-MMM good!"

Makes my wife nuts

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart